Guest viewing is limited

THR MEPil on the recovery side

Patience with the recovery process is the most difficult part of owning your new hip. Just about everyone thinks things should go faster and they begin to believe there is something wrong because they have (fill in the blank....). Nope! Most of the time it's just patience and time to get that hip right.
Hang in there.....you'll be so glad you did. Just start dreaming about all those things you'll be able to do more easily come Spring!
 
Your accounts have now been merged again and you have just one BoneSmart account under the username of MEPil. I've sent you an email with log-in information, so be sure and let me know everything works for you now.
 
Morning and evening are my most challenging times of the day.

I think this is quite common, MEPil.
Many express stiffness upon waking, or rising from a seated position. Usually movement helps. You feel like the Tin Man when he was muttering
O-I-L C-A-N

"Motion Is Lotion" so moving about normally helps. At day's end, it's very well fatigue as your body is still in healing mode, using energy first to heal, not leaving an overabundance for all else you're trying to accomplish in a day.
Take it slow, healing will, AND IS, happening.
Happy Thursday!
 
@MEPil have not been on here much lately, trying to make up for lost time and do things.
I am about 3+ weeks ahead of you and while I am not ready to shovel heavy snow or lift 50 pound items, life has basically returned at 11 weeks post op. You will be aware you have a new part for a while, though not like the knee. We all want to stop thinking about it and live as before and you will get there. I had my doubts, but the gradual passage of time with its accompanying recovery will ease your concerns and discomfort. If you have continuing stretches or walking to do, please keep up with it, just finished my 30 minute walk and going to stretch a little..
 
@Steelmanpa so happy for you that you are doing so well and able to enjoy things again. I can tell in many ways things are getting better, even if I still have a ways to go, much better. I am still doing some exercises and wishing it was warm weather to be able to get outside to walk and enjoy the outdoors, but do walk indoors and climb stairs in our house for exercise. I do still need my cane some but getting less and that is encouraging.
Take care and the very best to you. Thank you.
 
@Lay, you really nailed it, an oil can would be good at those times. That's the times my aggravating limp wants to kick in until I can try to walk it off too. Things are slowly improving. Still using my cane when needed.
 
Hang in there @MEPil. Sometimes the improvements are so incremental that we forget where we started and just how far we've progressed.
At 7 weeks I was still using a cane for walking, which had me so frustrated. But things do heal and then all of a sudden things begin improving in ways that are much more noticeable.

I think you are doing well, just keep up the good work, your job is to stay patient and let things heal.
You are doing this thing called recovery and so glad you could find your way back to the forum, it's a real mood booster!

I would suggest reading the first few pages of your recovery thread and remind yourself of how far you've come already. :loveshwr:

I hope you have some nice plans for the holiday.. and get a good night's sleep tonight! :sleep:
 
@CricketHip thank you, healing just seems to take much longer than we want it to but in my mind, I know it is. It is frustrating to need to still be dependent more than I want to be on the cane but feel I need it some of the time, especially being away from home, just don't feel stable enough yet and don't want the limp to get worse. Morning when I get up and later on in the evening are my challenges. Have a wonderful holiday too, my friend.
 
Morning when I get up and later on in the evening are my challenges

At not even two months post op, this is very common,
so you're normal! :happydance:

I feel safe in saying many of us are stiff in the morning until we get warmed up, so to speak. As for evening being a challenge, I also tended to "get sloppy" (as I referred to it) with my gait when I was fatigued.

It's good you're willing to use the cane while you're still limping because it is recommended you use an assistive device until the limp is gone. Using it in public is wise as it keeps people at a safe distance. No one wants to risk bumping into someone with a cane.

You'll get there, MEPil. It's can feel like a slow go at times but you will get there.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with loved ones!
@MEPil

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Layla at least I'm more normal than I was begining to get frustrated over. It does seem some days are easier than others. Right now, the cane will be my sidekick for awhile longer. I'm just not stable enough to be safe yet.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: To you and your family.
 
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::carols:to you and your family.

I like having the cane in public for extra support but also as I do not trust someone to knock into me accidentally. As my PT said, use the cane as extra protection for quite a while when in public. She also advised me to use it when stepping away from the grocery cart. I am doing this and it helps because people tend to cut around in grocery stores especially this time of year when everyone seems to be in a hurry - really helped last wee especially with youngsters who are really quick in movements.
 
@leejaa yes, being where crowds are large, is kinda scary. We can't afford getting a fall. I do look at it as protection as well as stability. Will use it as long as I need to.
 
Just remember that squiggly line Mojo333 has shown us, regarding recovery, when you feel discouraged. Eventually it becomes a straighter line.

Great idea about the cane from Leejaa!

Merry, Merry Christmas Eve and Day!

:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
[Bonesmart.org] MEPil on the recovery side



Here's another good one that maps a realistic recovery. :heehee: Merry Christmas!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom