THR MEPil on the recovery side

@leejaa from what I am reading on the progression activity chart, I'm not that bad off, some of the things I'm not doing yet but most I am. I haven't run the sweeper yet or done the laundry(two flights of stairs down to the utility room carrying baskets of dirty clothes). I do feel I should be further along in not limping, or wish I could be. I'm sure frustration is pushing me in some ways. My goal is Spring as well, my time of year to enjoy, good ole summer time. Thank you.
 
@Layla from the progression chart, I'm not too bad off on the majority of activities. It's still the soreness and limp when I get tired that makes me feel like I'm stuck in slow gear and not moving. I still use ice and heat and only take Tylenol for relief. My last therapy session is this next Tuesday and she will most likely release me.
 
I'm happy to hear your last therapy session is next Tuesday because without it, you just may begin feeling better. It will be interesting to see. Without knowing what exercises you're doing in therapy, how many reps and how often you're going, it's tough to judge, but believe it, or not, some don't flourish while in therapy and are constantly aggravating soft tissue, muscles and tendons while in the healing process. All I can do is wish you comfort and healing. I hope you begin feeling stronger soon.
@MEPil
 
@MEPil you really are coming along nicely even though it doesn't seem that way to you. Agree with @Layla they you may notice a difference after you end your PT sessions.

As far as limping when you get tired, that is very normal. I still have to pay attention at 5 months out when I overdo to make sure I'm doing heel/toe.
 
@Elf1 thank you, the limp is one of the things that really frustrates me, one day seems to be easier than the next day, guess it's the healing process and weakness yet.
 
My numbness and tenderness was around prominently for the first 4 months.
I even wondered if the numbness was collateral damage from the op.
4 months our was my biggest turnabout
All great now :egypdance:
Keep the faith, @MEPil
 
@Layla there is a couple exercises they wanted me to do I decided not to because it seemed to aggravate the soreness. I may try them a bit later as I feel I'm stronger. The soreness has been in my knee as well and that doesn't help anything.
 
It gets incrementally better and it is hard not to get weary of recovery...especially after all the tough bad hip experiences preop.
:unsure:
Try to relax and have faith.
Early days, still my friend.
 
And...
Yes, you are absolutely correct---it can be very frustrating and time seems to---does, actually creep by when we recover from these procedures.

Please remember what has been done to your body---you were sliced open, a bone was cut, some things were pounded, screwed, glued, muscles and skin were bruised, too, you were physically manhandled while you were under, and then you were closed back up!

These things take some time to recover from, and,unfortunately, it may take longer than we would like it to, but we are not the ones scheduling the recovery/rehab; our body does that.

Don't listen to anybody who has had a relative/friend/next door neighbor/car mechanic, etc...listen to your body. We are used to the "no pain, no gain" mentality and want our lives to re-assemble themselves very quickly---and that, unfortunately is not the case.

Take your time, relax, and know that down the road, you will be pain-free and loving it. I had to learn what patience truly is---many of us had to, as well...

When one considers how long it took for our bodies to become this way, some months of recovery/rehab really are nothing.
 
When I read these responses, it helps put everything back into perspective, I seem to really battle frustration and a lack of patience that I need to learn how to practice. Thinking just of what our body goes through is scary and we aren't even aware of it while it's happening, sure feel the results though. Thank you all once again, I appreciate each one of you on this recovery Rocky road.
 
You'll get there! Your body was subjected to a "controlled" trauma. Keep in mind the fact that your body is in healing mode, just as it should be, but it does take time and patience. And that healing timeline is different for each one of us, due to age, any pre-existing health conditions, how bad of shape we were in at the time of surgery etc. If the Knee on your surgery side is really bothering you, ice it right along with your hip or any other areas of discomfort you're dealing with. Depending upon the approach used, the knee can be jerked rather aggressively in an effort to dislocate the hip.

I hope today is a good one and that you have a nice weekend!
@MEPil
 
My phone messed up this morning and I had to completely wipe it out and redownload everything. I had lost my account here and had to reregister. So sorry. My info is under hip replacement recovery forum.
 
@Mepil2 Are you using the same user name? If not, what was your original user name. We can combine your 2 accounts for you so that you don't have to start again.
 
@Jaycey I am using mepil2, I was just mepil. This threw me for a loop. Thank you if you can help me.
 
Hi @MEPil
I've merged the thread you started in pre-op about losing all your information and added it to your recovery thread.

Please continue posting here from now on.
 
Hi @MEPil
I hope you had a nice weekend and the week is starting out well for you.
You mentioned limping on ocassion a few posts up. Have you tried and really concentrated on heel-toe walking? If you haven't, please try it and remind yourself of it each time you're walking. I'll bet while you're concentrating on it you'll notice you're not limping, but it is easy to lose focus, especially if it feels really unnatural for you. Try it, it will help.
Have a great rest of the day!
 
@Jaycey I'm sorry but I've had a problem with my password and had to sign back up on new registration again. Can you please help me out again? I'm so sorry, not a good day. Thank you for all your trouble.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom