THR Me2 and Recovery

Thanks Debbie @Dmcfad2 Part of me calls hypochondria, part says denial, part says oh it would just be so good to have two "forgotten" hips and have this phase of life so over, hopefully forever - but I so don't want to go back to square one of scheduling, buildup, surgery . . . not ready physically and certainly not mentally.
 
The sleep problem is stil here for lots of us it seems.
I was treated to 3am, and 4.17 today.... perhaps my hour's nap yesterday afternoon didn't help (not that I had too much choice really lol).

Glad to hear that you are up and about without too many problems @Me2. It's a great feeling when we can drive, walk where we want etc. without too many difficulties. :)

I too would be interested in hearing @Josephine 's reply regarding groin pain so hopefully she won't object to me having tagged her (1st time, I think!).
 
I can feel the pull when I do the "wiper" one.
snow angels! Mind you don't overdo them as they can be punishing and you are only 3½ weeks out! Do no more than 5 each morning at the most. You can increase them in a few week's time but it's too early yet.

I think I also told you previously that hips don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all these sore spots and aches and pains. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I can't wait to get to outpatient therapy and get some ideas on strengthening those muscles!
Remember this: your muscles aren't weak, they are injured and don't need lots of exercise. Too much and you risk worsening the pain you already have. Rest, rest, rest!
What is it in the "groin" area that hurts so? Is there a good one(s) to explain the back pain associated with hip issues?
Well I could give you an anatomy lesson but in short, it's all just muscle! Rest, rest, rest!
what this layman calls her tailbone
Correct term being coccyx (coc-six) and it's not uncommon to get achy pain there after hip surgery just as it can also occur after childbirth. That condition is known as coccydinia.

So, you want to tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
 
Glad you got some sleep.....I will watch what Jo says after you fill in the graph @Me2
 
Sorry for the delay, I spent half hour answering yesterday and came back on today to check and its not here - must be somewhere in cyberspace. So, @Josephine, so sorry also for long length but . . .


@Josephine -- this picture is great --- pictures speak a thousand words -- What is it in the "groin" area that hurts so? I even now have a better understanding of the pain beginning this hip adventure of mine --

The groin pain question had come up with others here on BS - my groin question is primarily historical for me as the picture was so good at helping me understand why doctors immediately went to hip as needing fixed, but never explaining. I didn't understand the relationship until seeing your picture. Duh! So I was wanting to know what is it that hurts in the groin area since it seems to be common symptom?

The back pain of which I speak is the area of L3B R4B and A B. Before surgery, between losing weight, water therapy, chiropractor and hip injections, my actual hip pain was down to 0-1 -- my back in this area was usually about 3-4, However, my range of motion and limp was terrible. I couldn't sit for any period of time and limitations on life were ridiculous. But, mostly this area of back was pain. OS said almost definitely back pain was hip related. First week or two after surgery, this area still ached (1) and now it comes and goes.


Part of me calls hypochondria, part says denial, part says oh it would just be so good to have two "forgotten" hips and have this phase of life so over, hopefully forever - but I so don't want to go back to square one of scheduling, buildup, surgery . . . not ready physically and certainly not mentally.

I finished up the Celebrex prescribed for leaving hospital on Saturday, and now just Tylenol as needed but no pain on surgical side. Here lies question I am seeing as common theme for me and a couple of other April Rainbows --- non-surgical side hurts more. My OS said wait to see how it reacts after surgery and that it should improve. My xray shows moderate to severe OA in right, left was "severe". My "hip pain" is now mostly CD R1F R2F and CD R5B R6B (about 3). Our question, is how and when do we know if right hip is problem in and of itself. Or is it referred pain? Is it just reacting to new hip, new (hopefully) limp free walking?

I understand the philosophy of "exercising" or "PT" not as important as just walking for hip recuperation. I do much walking with being back to work - my non-surgical hip aches at end of day. Surgical hip-fine. However, if you don't recommend PT, what to do about groin and whatever muscles are involved in squatting and kneeling. I have not used these muscles/done these activities in forever. I am slowly doing the snow angels and squatting and kneeling, and it feels good. I am able to do a little more each day. I know I need to be patient, I don't want to injure, but I do want to be able to kneel, squat, and abduct/adduct/snow angels (necessary for normal sex life among other desired activities). Hence, my comment that moving these long unused muscles feeling good and eager for PT stretching techniques. Moreover, I am eager to get back to gym, and doctor has said no public pool for now. What do you suggest? Will walking improve left range of motion with pain in right (non-surgical and now painful) hip/back?

Sorry so long, and much appreciate your patience.
 
Sheryl, I just wanted to tell you that I am really having a lot of pain in the groin of my right "good" hip. It is getting worse every day. I really notice it when I move suddenly or go to sit down or get up from a chair. I am really getting worried. My left hip is starting to feel so good, I am bummed out that I am having this pain on the other side! I am hoping it will get better, but it's not looking good. I am looking forward to Jo's response.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Me2
Debbie @Dmcfad2 I feel your pain, literally!

I'm just about out of Celebrex so didn't take any for a couple of days to just see if I needed. I didn't have any refills listed and figured I should find out if I need to get one. Surgical hip is a little achy than ever before though I did have first PT today. She added weights to exercises and 5 minutes on bike. I'm pretty certain I'm going to go with BS philosophy of not going -- time and money I really don't need to spend. Copays will cover 2-3 months of gym membership. Most of my time there was spent waiting for the therapist to come back, give me an exercise, walk away. I can go for a good half hour walk and feel much better -- but for right non-surgical hip.

Which brings me back for original reason for post -- the sitting to standing is a royal pain for me, too -- tonight in both hips for first time since pre-surgery. Took a Celebrex tonight - only 4 more left. PT did say that the non-surgical may take a few weeks/months to settle down. Which is somewhat more frustrating though. Patience is not my forte - tho I am learning. Double physical and mental recovery? I guess I will have plenty of time to master patience. Bummed is good word for it. Not going to think about it now -- I've got to sleep tonight and my brain will probably think that is a great new think to obsess over!
 
Patience is something us hippies either have, or all acquire.... there is no other way lol
Generally you seem to be doing well, Sheryl - just a pity you aren't allowed in the pool yet though. :(
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Me2
My "leave" from my gym membership expires is up on May 2 so I'm deciding what to do -- my gym is really super clean but . . . I know the swimming as exercise would really relieve much of stress and safely strengthen. There is a warm about 90-05 degree therapy pool which, if I go to gym just for exercise (bike, treadmill), don't know that I will be able to stay away from. Even just doing the laps would feel sooooooo good, again mentally and physically. The temptation vs. risk vs. mental health vs. physical health -- quite a conundrum.

I do like the quotes with your signature - you and I believe its M1ke?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I swam yesterday after the elliptical and thought about being out of the pool for at least 6 weeks after Friday....not looking forward to that :(
 
Maybe not @Dieter --- @Cantabrigian was 5 days after me and has been swimming quite a bit. I assume he didn't have any restriction on use of public pool? Every doc is different I guess? Before surgery, I had asked about swimming after I had to start body washes and the head pre-op nurse said it would actually be good to swim in the chlorinated water.
 
Indeed, @Dieter and Sheryl - I had a waterproof dressing on for a full 2 weeks, and when the nurse removed it, he found it to be one of the neatest and well healed he had seen. So, no qualms from him about me hitting the pool (and my OS had told me pre-op too, that if the scar was healing ok, there would be no restrictions). I was in the pool the following day (i.e. day 15). !

As with so many things, post-op, it all seems to depend on the surgeon, as to whether we can or can't do something, and in which time frame.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: VF
@Cantabrigian tomorrow I will get my dressing off too. I have the same kind. I am so hoping to be able to go in the pool! You are one week and one day ahead of me. I feel really good. So nice to be able to step up and down with no dread and no major production!
 
This waterproof dressing seems like great idea -- especially if healing was good -- my incision/bandage had to be changed and cleaned every day - my skin surrounding wound was so irritated with adhesives and the removal of the adhesives.
My "restriction" to pool seemed to be related to gym/public pool as I was told submerging when bathing was fine or home hot tub-pool but not gym. But, alas, Pittsburgh weather is not conducive to our outdoor pool for at least another month and then water will be cold until at least mid-June.

Speaking of infection -- my incision area was feeling fine and even most of numbness gone -- last two days the incision appears to be darker red/bruised (never was bruised looking even first week) and warmer to touch. Perhaps I'm just getting more feeling/circulation to area or is this a concern? Another of those things that comes and goes with the healing process?
 
I have been getting stabbing twinges in my incision the last two days. Up until then, it has just been soreness. Thinking it is part of the healing process. Mine doesn't seem to be any darker or bruised looking, though. It is still warm to the touch.
 
@VF a week makes a huge difference at this stage of our recovery. There are so many things I couldn't do, or found very hard but 7 days ago. Hopefully the coming weeks will continue in the same vein.:)
 
@Me2
Hi ,
You are making me feel more and more hopeful.I love your stories .
Did you mention that your operated hip side had the longer leg but that was fixed with the anterior approach surgery you had? My right hip which has to be replaced is the side where the leg is 3/4 inches longer. I functioned fine until 7 years ago. I never limped until I started with the hip problem and I never knew that that leg was longer.
So I was wondering if you had a similar situation.
My appointment is May 1ST then I'm going to my second appointment , (a different doctor) on May 5TH.They both do the anterior approach. I will let you know how it goes .
Thanks for all your help and encouragement.
Greta
 
The back pain of which I speak is the area of L3B R4B and A B.
You mean like this?

[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


That's almost certainly coccydynia! It's a pesky condition and very difficult to get rid of.
You might find a chiropractor would be a good bet.
My "hip pain" is now mostly CD R1F R2F and CD R5B R6B (about 3). Our question, is how and when do we know if right hip is problem in and of itself. Or is it referred pain?
Like so?
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


The area at the back and in company with the inner green area at the front would seem to me to be a good indicator that you need that right hip xrayed.
Though the green area marked in the front at the outer side is most likely Trochanteric bursitis

So I was wanting to know what is it that hurts in the groin area since it seems to be common symptom?
Okay, there are many muscles in that area, the most troublesome one being the Iliopsoas syndrome
However, if you don't recommend PT, what to do about groin and whatever muscles are involved in squatting and kneeling.
If you have pain in any muscle the answer is never to try and 'cure' it with exercise! Never a good idea. In fact, it's the best way to make it worse!
I do much walking with being back to work
You're back at work already? After only 3 weeks? That's insane!

I have been getting stabbing twinges in my incision the last two days. Up until then, it has just been soreness. Thinking it is part of the healing process.
More likely part of the 'overdoing it' process!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom