Happy Anniversary, Sheryl
@Me2.
I was so sorry to read of your dad’s passing. It must have been do difficult for you with the amount of pain you were in to add to the struggles.
And also feeling badly you have not been able to successfully find someone to accept your need for no general anesthesia. Hopefully your surgeon will find a way to accept this limitation! Less and less anesthesia seems to becoming the norm. I so much hope for you this becomes reality.
However, on the bright side, we have had the beginnings of some nice weather here in Pittsburgh, so maybe it’s a new start for better days for you.
BTW, a cousin of mine in Harrisburg was just advised she needed a shoulder replacement, but she sought two other opinions and both other surgeons advised her to completely exhaust more conservative treatment first. So, that is what she is doing. She has had extensive back operations at Johns Hopkins (including a type of combination of hip replacement and disc fusion that was quite risky but she had no choice!) so, if you ever need any names and venture for opinions outside of PGH issues, she has been very pleased with her surgeons at Johns Hopkins.
Thank you for the PM recently. I meant to reply back to you via that medium but got a little busy. Will be writing you soon. In the meantime, you have been through a LOT! My first experience with general anesthesia came at St. Clair Hospital for my hip replacement. I hate to add to your fears, but after they swore to me they were using an epidural, I woke up to an extremely sore throat (unnaturally so!) and could almost not speak. My vocal chords - I found later- has been “nicked” by the tubing I guess. I only found that out after being home for a month with a very unnatural, raspy voice. So, in my opinion, wanting to stay away ESPECIALLY from general anesthesia is completely understandable.
I must add, though I have been very unhappy with my knee replacement to date, my hip replacement functions very well. It was just the anesthesia effects that frightened me. And I would certainly accept those effects - knowing they would eventually wear off - for a pain free knee- just as happened with my hip. Too bad the hip surgeon was so unpleasant and arrogant. That’s the only reason I looked elsewhere when it came to the knee replacement.
Best of luck and will PM you soon!
Kathy0427