BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

[THR] Me2 and Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Me2, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Me2

Me2 post-grad

United States United States
    Constanze - Thank you. So sad that our president's first statement was a reference that we should have an armed guard at a place of worship. We happened to be heading out for errands when first responders were heading that way. Yes, frightening but safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 member

Sheryl @Me2,
    Have spent most of this long night reading your story ; all because of a search in BoneSmart on the word “Pittsburgh”. What a story to tell! I, too, live just outside of Pittsburgh - in Murrysville - and am now so wishing for an update to how things are going for you. I must say that several times my tears flowed upon reading of your fears of losing parts of yourself in the hip surgery. I never realized that I ,too, might be mourning the same “loss” - in addition to having a long and (so far) unsatisfactory result of a RTKR last August at Magee. Two years ago I did have a successful LTHR at St. Clair Hospital; but the surgeon’s bedside manner was not good, to say the least!
    You have been through so very much and I admire greatly your courage and the positive support you have given so many people through the years duting your recoveries. Your honesty about your fears and your anger about the confusing and sometimes conflicting information (and even diagnoses) I can SO identify with! I get angry with my doctors’ reluctance to even send me for anything more than an x Ray- he just keeps telling me that there is no evidence to indicate any issues in the knee he replaced. And this is a doctor I actually LIKE! Our two battling health care systems - Highmark and UPMC - make it even worse. They WILL not talk with each other at all. Anyway...,
    I very much identified with your feelings when you had to tell the OS who had performed both of your hip replacements the assertion was made that the right one might have issues. I had a similar feeling with my OS! He is such a kind doctor - But, hey, they are human and perfectly fine doctors can make any type of mistake. They don’t have supernatural gifts, only some skills and training that they use to help us.
    Anyway, it’s almost three here in PGH right now, so I want to get some rest; but if you are still coming to BoneSmart, please drop a few lines and let us all know how you are doing. It would also be great if you would prefer to PM me, as I’d love to know who some of the doctors you are dealing with are and what your opinions are of each.
    One last thing, I absolutely loved your pictures on your horse ; and with the . So great that you find joy while on this difficult road. You are an inspiration!
    Thank you for sharing your story in very honest and full detail. It means a lot to many of us.
    Please post!
    Kathy@Kathy0427

3. Me2

Me2 post-grad

Kathy @Kathy0427 Greetings fellow Pittsburgher! I'll have to go and catch up on your story. Thank you for your kind words regarding my story. I'm still doing about the same Back/hip still hurts incredibly but I am so short staffed in my program, I can't even go to see anyone. The OS who I went to see last had an incredible plan that se really felt would work but will only do with general anesthesia. For those that no my story, I can't even breathe now just having typed those words. She said only general, then her PA called and said she would do awake with regional but that I would have to meet with anesthesiologist. She arranged the appointment and when I got down to Washington he told me a thousand reasons it was impossible. I just couldn't deal with the thought as it upsets me so much to even think about. So, I started back with chiropractor who helped tremendously up through Christmas. Sadly, my dad passed away the day after Christmas so I stepped out of life for a week or two. My sisters and I have been caring him for since my mom died two years ago. Took my almost a month to get back to having time to schedule with the chiropractor, and he just wasn't doing any magic for me. I'm keeping back/hip pain under control with a good icing after work every day. Again.

I'll PM you to share some of the doctor information

4. Me2

Me2 post-grad

Happy Hip Anniversary to me! FIVE YEARS. Left hip still doing wonderful! Thank you Bone Smart and friends for getting me here!:dancy::spin::egypdance::loveshwr::wave::flwrysmile::yes!::yes::friends::happydance::curtsey::):cheers::beer::dancy::spin::happydance::friends:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Five Year Anniversary to you!
    Wishing you many, many more.
    A great Spring and Summer to you also! :flwrysmile:
    @Me2

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Happy 5 years anniversary @ Me2
    Sorry you are still having pain with the other hip & sorry to hear your father has passed.

I remember your story so very well.... no GA.. no sedation.. how courageous you were. Hope that hip settles down or you find a consultant to help.

I’m 2 weeks out from my 2nd THR & doing well... remembering all my old BS buddies from 5/6 years ago.
    Take care... Chrissie xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Constanze

Constanze graduate

Germany Germany
    Happy 5th anniversary from me as well, Sheryl from Pitsburgh @Me2 ,
    and many thanks for sharing your experience. You always cheered everybody up. I appreciate that.
    Hope all is well - Constanze

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy five year hipversary!
    Happy to see your happiness!
    Onward...:yahoo:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 member

Happy Anniversary, Sheryl @Me2.
    I was so sorry to read of your dad’s passing. It must have been do difficult for you with the amount of pain you were in to add to the struggles.
    And also feeling badly you have not been able to successfully find someone to accept your need for no general anesthesia. Hopefully your surgeon will find a way to accept this limitation! Less and less anesthesia seems to becoming the norm. I so much hope for you this becomes reality.
    However, on the bright side, we have had the beginnings of some nice weather here in Pittsburgh, so maybe it’s a new start for better days for you.
    BTW, a cousin of mine in Harrisburg was just advised she needed a shoulder replacement, but she sought two other opinions and both other surgeons advised her to completely exhaust more conservative treatment first. So, that is what she is doing. She has had extensive back operations at Johns Hopkins (including a type of combination of hip replacement and disc fusion that was quite risky but she had no choice!) so, if you ever need any names and venture for opinions outside of PGH issues, she has been very pleased with her surgeons at Johns Hopkins.
    Thank you for the PM recently. I meant to reply back to you via that medium but got a little busy. Will be writing you soon. In the meantime, you have been through a LOT! My first experience with general anesthesia came at St. Clair Hospital for my hip replacement. I hate to add to your fears, but after they swore to me they were using an epidural, I woke up to an extremely sore throat (unnaturally so!) and could almost not speak. My vocal chords - I found later- has been “nicked” by the tubing I guess. I only found that out after being home for a month with a very unnatural, raspy voice. So, in my opinion, wanting to stay away ESPECIALLY from general anesthesia is completely understandable.
    I must add, though I have been very unhappy with my knee replacement to date, my hip replacement functions very well. It was just the anesthesia effects that frightened me. And I would certainly accept those effects - knowing they would eventually wear off - for a pain free knee- just as happened with my hip. Too bad the hip surgeon was so unpleasant and arrogant. That’s the only reason I looked elsewhere when it came to the knee replacement.
    Best of luck and will PM you soon!
    Kathy0427

• Like Like x 1