Guest viewing is limited

THR Me2 and Recovery

That's how the surgeon explained the small piece to me -- that he takes about a finger-width out first to have room to remove femoral head.

@Me2 , @Josephine This is exactly how my OS described the removal of the femoral head with SuperPath...the neck will be cut at the end of stem implant (which is inserted prior to the first cut), then cut one more time to make room to remove the ball. It is pretty easy to see in the surperPath surgical videos available online.
 
I was going to ask how you felt about teeth @Me2 , but sleep got the better of me yesterday evening, and others beat me to it lol.
Personally I have hardly given it any thought. I try to see things in a positive way. For me, new hip, my bones, who cares. I am getting my mobility back, which in turn improves my quality of life, which in time will let me do certain things with my family that I couldn't do yesterday (bike riding....). That to me is much more important than worrying that a piece of me has gone. :)
 
@Me2 - pre surgery (for a number of years!) I pondered how I would feel losing my natural hip and having a prosthetic... In the end I had such a lack of mobility, I reached the stage of saying to myself - 'just do it Poppet'!

Then the night before surgery I remember stroking my natural un operated hip and saying to hubby - 'it will never be the same' ...

Fast forward to about three weeks post surgery and I remember a particularly frustrating moment when I said to hubby ....... 'I want this thing out' !!!!

Of course logical, gentle hubby said - not possible babe - it is there for good and you are doing just fine.. He was right of course.... I realized it was going to take time, lots of time.. But that was ok - slow and steady became my mantra..

Now fast forward two plus years, every night when I lay on my natural hip I now stroke my operated hip and feel a sense of sheer happiness that it has given me back my life and the ability to walk again...

Hubby, constantly tells me that the metal in my THR is formed in the middle of the stars and now I am filled with star dust- I find that so, so special :)

p.s. I have said many times in different threads that now that I have 'the forgotten hip' and I can't feel or see my incision - I reckon my surgeon opened me up, announced everything is A OK and the closed me up, because even now when I look at my x-ray I think... Nah! that can't be me....

Hope my story helps x
 
Thank you @Poppet. I was still hoping someone would have the right words. Tears are flowing again but I think they might be the good kind now, Either that or some residue star dust?


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Me2 As you probably know, I'm not on "this side" yet, but will be in surgery two weeks from tomorrow. I'm not surprised you are struggling with the loss of the "old" hip and acceptance of the new one. A few thoughts I've had: first, for me - kinda wish they could make a prosthetic joint look more "normal". I was looking at some pictures and picked out one I thought I'd like because it was rounded above the femoral stem - natural and "womanly". But I won't get a choice of what he uses, so I will just imagine mine that way. The other thing I was talking with my hubby about just last night is that this pain, pre-op, is "the devil I know". Don't like him at all, but I know what to expect. Post-op is the devil I don't know, and it could be easy to "blame" the new hip joint for all the changes we have to adjust to - encouraging ones, like being able to make love again, and discouraging ones like that horrible, defeatist PT person you dealt with and all the uncertainty of recovery and pain management, etc. the unknown. I wish this part of me hadn't betrayed my health and comfort - but imperfect bodies are part of life. I am glad I can't see the part of me that has to go (other than I'd kinda like to see just how bad it was to hurt so much) and I'm glad I won't see it's replacement either.

The reality is that, going forward in my life, nobody meeting me will even know about it unless I tell them. It's not going to change who other ppl see when they look at me (other than I won't look tired and old and in pain anymore). I was watching the coverage on CNN of the Boston Marathon bombing victims a couple weeks ago. That brave young dancer who cried to her husband about being sick of having to put her leg on to go pee in the night really challenged my perspective. Her totally unexpected trauma at hearing fireworks for the first time after shook me to the core. We have a choice to do this for our future well-being. She had no choice - someone literally took away her choice to feel safe, to look the same, to be blissfully untouched by evil. Yet she took a choice she did have - she chose to DANCE again, and in choosing, endured the work and enjoyed the triumph that came with it.

I have an unreasonable fear of dying - even though I believe with all I am that my soul doesn't die. But leaving my body behind is fearful and hard for me to imagine - deciding what should be done with it, impossible. God promises I won't need it - that He will give me a new body, but my only reality is that now, imperfect as it is, this body sustains my life. I can't imagine it not doing what it's always done, but I've no right to expect that. As we get older, I guess we have to come to terms with "Whatever gets me through this life I've been given in a way that makes me able to enjoy its blessings fully is going to have to be enough." (Feel free to quote this and send it to me when I'm having my 4 a.m. meltdown in a few weeks.)

Nighttime, alone in the dark half awake, always makes those thoughts way worse. I never wake Hubby, but he always tells me he wants me to. Don't suffer the nighttime sadness alone, any more than you dealt with nightmares alone as a little one. Call out and find some comfort. I will remember to as well.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just for you Sheryl, @Me2.. we all belong to a very special joint replacement club... close your eyes, imagine and see the beauty xx
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
 
Oh super duper big hugs for you @Me2 I'm glad others here can write something so beautiful to comfort you.

I'm not great with words and didn't think much about my real hip more about the complications etc....but that doesn't mean I don't understand or empathise with you.

You are doing so well....the more you talk out these things that keep you awake at night or lay heavy on your heart...the better you will feel.

Oh and congrats for getting back in the 'saddle' so to speak!!!!
 
This is exactly how my OS described the removal of the femoral head with SuperPath...the neck will be cut at the end of stem implant (which is inserted prior to the first cut), then cut one more time to make room to remove the ball.
But that's exactly how it's done in routine hip replacements! Perfectly ordinary.
 
Accomplishments/milestones this weekend: almost always alternate feet up and down stairs - even caught myself skipping/going fast down last 6-7 steps. Incision starting to disappear
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
. Very little use of cane even outside where ground is uneven. Non surgical side aches more than surgery side but could be from eating wheat or overdoing. All the sons and family and their girlfriend came for Saturday and Sunday dinner and festivities-first holiday in 3-4 years that I didn't end up on floor of living room. I was last to bed after "redding up" as we say in Pittsburgh. I slept on back and both sides with no discomfort (w/small pillow between knees). Hopefully I finally dealt with last of regrets and accepting what I can't change. Almost. Walked all the around pasture, brushed horses. Ah, and crossed legs to put socks on this morning all by myself! Who knows may be able to touch toes by end of week and paint my toes!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Accomplishments/milestones this weekend: almost always alternate feet up and down stairs - even caught myself skipping/going fast down last 6-7 steps. Incision starting to disappear
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
. Very little use of cane even outside where ground is uneven. Non surgical side aches more than surgery side but could be from eating wheat or overdoing. All the sons and family and their girlfriend came for Saturday and Sunday dinner and festivities-first holiday in 3-4 years that I didn't end up on floor of living room. I was last to bed after "redding up" as we say in Pittsburgh. I slept on back and both sides with no discomfort (w/small pillow between knees). Hopefully I finally dealt with last of regrets and accepting what I can't change. Almost. Walked all the around pasture, brushed horses. Ah, and crossed legs to put socks on this morning all by myself! Who knows may be able to touch toes by end of week and paint my toes!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
Yay!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Sheryl, sounds like you finding the way. The little victories (like socks) feel so good. My hubby says I can move on to my letters after I get my colors and shapes down. LOL
 
@Me2 Sheryl, I think it was you that was talking about being able to move your new hip all over the place. I haven't found that to be the case. My hip still has the same limitations that I had before surgery, at least right now. I was just laying here on my back trying to open my hip up by bending my knees up and then letting my left knee fall to the side, but I couldn't get it very far. I was hoping that the ROM would be greater now, like you are experiencing. I don't know if it will get better, but I would think it would be an immediate improvement just as you experienced. I wonder if that will improve?
 
@Dmcfad2 would you expect me to be any other way?? LOL!!! Your ROM will improve......slowly. I find it quite interesting how we all heal SOOO differently and at such different speeds. I had a set back yesterday....but today was good....so strange. Anyway...I will take every good day I can get and usually something happens that is just a wee bit better than the day before. Keep your chin up bud....it WILL get better!!! I'm already reading you walking more and more every day!!!! That's AWESOME!!
 
@Me2 @Dmcfad2 @Plumberbutt
On the ROM question......
My hip flexors are really super tight and I have trouble with full heel slides.
Also, have tightness and numbness on right side of incision, so I am guessing my abductors are tight, too.
Thus, my ROM is hiding for now.
The log leg is mostly gone for good; seems like if you had a log leg you probably have lesser ROM than you hope for at this point? I would think that's where I am, but not worried at all.
Let's be happy. :loveshwr:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom