THR Me2 and Recovery

Why, thank you for kind words.

Actually my left hip that was fixed was the shorter leg by about 3/4-1inch. I never had a problem either until sharp groin pain (which I now finally understand thanks to Jo's great pictures). My limp got really severe about year, year and a half ago. I didn't think anybody noticed :sigh:. Haha. So somewhat similar story - whole gory details on pre-op side. I, too, scheduled multiple surgery visits once I decided to do something and had health insurance.

Happy to be of help -- just paying it forward for all the support and encouragement I received.
 
@Greta @Me2 My op leg was about an inch shorter which occurred with the hip collapse period over the past
8 months. the surgery lengthened the op leg and realigned the pelvis.
I know they can shorten legs, too. so not to worry.
Wow Sheryl, sure looks like Jo thinks you are really an overachiever, and we sure know that you are!!!
I hope your pains are muscle related, as that seems easier to rest, heal, and/or strengthen.
 
@MajorHeidi @Me2
Thanks for the clarification. It seems that hip problems are pretty diverse. One thing that is consistent to all is Pain!
Glad to hear they can shorten the leg or at least not make it longer than it is. Well the Doctors on May 1St and May 5Th hopefully will have some answers.
 
Just updating my recovery . . .

Physically, I am doing just grand. Again, I am able to move better than ever. I have been able to dance and exercise with my preschoolers, walk all over our play area and even climbed a little with them. Getting in and out of the car is a breeze. Intimacy with husband is just fine. Just being able to walk around the store - park wherever without worry as to whether I'll be able to walk back to car after activity. Great to walk up and down hills..... Right (non-surgical) side is whining a little but here's to hoping its part of the recovery process and not a demand for attention. Back is doing much better with some slight stretching. I decided not to do the outpatient therapy since most of my time there as spent waiting. I'm just going to continue with light stretching and exercise until cleared to go back to gym for swimming and such.

Still avoiding sleep until I know I'll get through the 4 a.m. witching hour --- I'm able to keep thoughts positive during the day time as long as I'm busy.

On the good front, I finally received my medical records from doctor's office. Interesting reading - It has full details of the surgery - I'm sure most of its just routine but it does give step-by-step of the process. First read was comforting to finally have that process. Then, of course, I went back to look up all the words I was not positive of meaning. I'm hoping the details will help me let go of the "need to know" because now I do - at least words on paper. Hoping to finally put it away --- if only I didn't have to even think of other side ever.

Its really hard to believe that I am already 4 weeks post-op! Its just as hard to believe that I am only 4 weeks post-op!
 
I may be flying through recovery on physical side - my hip, my walking, everying thing below the waist just rejoices in how good it feels - but struggling with my own head games!

@Me2, what is amazing is that the day IS coming when you will not even think about your hip.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
 
Thanks for the update @Me2 you are a recovery rock star! I hope your non surgical hip's complaining is just your pelvis getting used to the new joint.
 
Your last update has given me so much hope and so much to look forward too. I'm glad you haven't run off to go join life yet!! Thanks for that and keep posting.
 
So happy reading gave you some sense of understanding .. Resolution.. You are doing amazing.. Keep it up


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Today for the first time.. 2.5 weeks out I did not think about my hip! I kept up with my husband on errands and walking tall. Life is good. Yes a bit sore but it's a good sore from finding my old strength!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
@Me2 , great report, day by day we get there! I had read my post-op report and that is where I had it finally confirmed that they used the Hana Table with me, lol... I didn't want to know ahead of time, but was interesting reading for sure! Not sure I really wanted to know what size saw they used :scaredycat: but all in all, I was glad to have it for my records. Hope your sleep pattern normalize soon!
 
Calmer day --- just wanted to note that I painted my toenails for first time in forever! I could easily reach all but little piggy on surgical side! Yay me! :yes!:

I can almost sit "tailor" style --- close, so close, but not quite! :yes!:

I can squat down to pick up from floor and just use finger to push up from floor -- no climbing -- at least in the morning and early afternoon -- not so easy this evening. :yes!:

Only few tears today --- no pieces of Sheryl everywhere! :fingersx:
 
That's good but don't be in too much of a hurry to be doing things like a sitting tailor style. Remember you are still only 5 weeks out. Take a look at this chart and see that you are still in the high risk area for dislocation.

[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
 
I was careful -- gently tried it just to see if I could -- sitting tailor style is something I haven't done in 3-4 years.

No tears today --- no pieces of Sheryl scattered --- hopefully turned corner? Even laughed with my sons tonight . . .
Surgical hip is still great; little bit of pain where incision runs over bony area of hip, non-surgical hip still achy burn
 
@Me2 I am happy for you, Sheryl! I am hoping to be able to sit like that someday soon! I am a bit behind you in the ROM department. I still can't reach my toes. I'm glad the mental side is calming down for you, too!
 
@Me2 and @Dmcfad2 you are both doing well... the milestones will come, with a little patience. (where I have I see you talk about that word elsewhere, Sheryl...? lol).

The little toe was the hardest for me to reach too ... I managed to cut all my nails last week, with the exception of that one lol.
 
Hey Me2! We are five days apart, same hip. Thought I would stop by see how you are feeling, compare notes a little. I have a modular, Cobalt Chrome Titanium implant, posterior surgery. How about you, please...
 
@Me2 Hi, Sheryl,
Just wondering how things are going. I know that as we get better we are all posting less, but maybe you can update when you get some free time?
 
@Dcfad2 I finally came out of my recovery cave for a little bit yesterday. I happened to click on vetgirl's alert and responses. Guess this past week is a "cave week" for several of us. Came on to check on you all and to update.

@waterman1 I've seen you here and there around Bonesmart. I see you are scheduled to go back/forward soon! We not only had same hip done a week apart, we both need other one done. My OS had given me hope pre-surgery that my right one had/has a chance of doing better after getting left fixed. There is still some hope but the more I am able to do with left/surgical hip the more my right/non-surgical hip and back complain. My bionic hip is just that - it does everything I ask it to and hoped for, but better and no pain whatsoever. I doubt I am physically ready but I know I'm not mentally ready! I'll cover a little more in my update - I'll have to come back on later.

My new part is a Biomet ceramic implant, and I had what's called anterior approach. My incision ended up being about 5 inches and, woohoo, I just noticed big difference in numbness. It was there yesterday and had been coming and going. The two weeks it had been more there than not. Yesterday I couldn't feel all the way to the knee, and to almost back of thigh from left of incision. Today, feels different and much less numb. Go figure.

I had many denial and hospital issues to overcome to even get to surgery but I think most people do! I worked really really hard to be sure I was in best physical shape for surgery and thought I had dealt with all mental issues too. But alas, what we don't know til we live through it.

Yesterday, I had my 6 week post-op. I'll have to be back later to do though.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom