THR Me2 and Recovery

Great Day everyone! I slept past 4:00 a.m. all the way to 6:15 . . . . from about 11:30! :dancy::spin::dancy:
 
Now for that update . . . .
I had my 6 week follow up visit last Thursday and everything physical checked out perfect, and I am released to do whatever I want with the only caveat being that he would not suggest running or at least not running on hard surfaces. I am even cleared to ride my horse, carefully. He acknowledged that, yes, right side is "a mess" and suggested a injection to see if we could get it and my back to calm down. As I have been able to do more and more and more with my left/surgical side, I am able to do less and hurt more on the right/non-surgical side. Before surgery, I thought I was pretty symptom free on the other side. But its ok. I am strong, I can take care of it responsibly. Wow, that feels good to say/write.:bricks:

Now for the what I can do:
  • I can touch all my toes
  • I can put on socks
  • I can walk without pain on left (so smooth, so ladylike though when I go too far I notice slight favoring of right and my back hurts, hurts, hurts) (I tried my old canes out yesterday when at a festival - hard to coordinate for the other side but did feel better)
  • I can dance, including hula hip moves, with my preschoolers
  • I can march, do jumping jacks, skip, move quickly around yard with my preschoolers!
  • I can carry my infants and babies on my left side.
  • I can sit on my feet!
  • I can sit further in a criss cross applesauce position (otherwise known as tailor or indian)
  • I can sit on floor behind a little one to read stories, tie shoes
  • I can have sex in most positions -- (unfortunately, this is an area where the non-surgical side is cooperating the least)
My mental health is where I have really struggled. I thought I had taken care of all of my "issues" before surgery. Unfortunately, they snuck up and bit me. My OS addressed some of the issues at appointment, explaining (again) in a way that I "get" the sedation thing. The social worker from hospital had called on a routine follow-up at the 6 week mark. I told him about my head issues. He is helping me with contacting the Biomet representative as I am still quite bothered by not being able to see/touch what my new part looks/feels like.

I do have appointment with a psychiatrist. What I had post surgery was not just regular blues or depression, and I was not coping well. :kickedout: I was having strong self-damaging thoughts, and I was really scaring myself. I couldn't sleep. As hard as I tried, I could not let go of thoughts as unreasonable as they were. I was having no real reasons for my abject thoughts. I felt horribly guilty that I could not control these when reading posts from Vetgirl and others who had legitimate reasons. :idea: My new theory is that my long-standing panic and anxiety attack issues along with a little PTSD symptoms (intrusion, avoidance and arousal) were triggered physiologically by my completely washing away all the "coping" vitamins (B6, B12) when I was drinking water excessively the weeks just after surgery. I was thirsty and value water as a way to cleanse body, but I was probably drinking over 40 oz of water every hour or two. I really was hoping to just wash out the drugs but . . . I think I overdid it. Along with following Poppet's nutrition advice for sleeping, I started an anxiety supplement (mostly B vitamins) and have gradually over the last 15 days improved my coping abilities. I still am avoiding some thoughts but I am able to peek at them and am feeling stronger. I can handle this . . . I think. I am creating a journal of all my posts and reading through them has been helping too. :fingersx:

I am grateful for this family and friendship here -- I've never really had much support from either in my real life. Thank you one and all.

I worked really hard -- as have all of you -- to have a good recovery. We deserve it. We each have a different path, some much, much harder than others but it all feels so good as we notice each day's new improved lives because of the work we have done. Sorry so long but I needed to get this down. I'll be around.
 
@Me2 so glad to hear your head is catching up with your body. Take care of your mind and soul ( meditation ?) as well as you are taking care of your physical health. We all are here if you need support :) glad you are going to get some help with what you are feeling. It will help lots. Hugs and keep up great work!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach. Thank you for taking time to respond when you are getting ready for your big day. I'm thinking about you lots and lots and so want your surgery day and recovery to be great. You've done the work. Now you with the rest of your surgical team will rule the day! You have orchestrated a surgery so you can layback, close your eyes, and know that every thing that is being done is because you have created the circumstances. I have to keep reminding myself that I deserved, needed, and asked for all those professionals to take care of me. I was in control. I hope you reach that calm acceptance of its time to really lay back and take care of you.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hey Me2! I spent my first weekend away from home, drove about two hours away to be with my 86 yr. old mother, and I am very much like you in the progress, in the mental issues, the sleep, the left leg. I really appreciate reading your thoughts because I can relate to everything you say, but you just have a better way of putting it all in words, best I know how to explain it, LOL.

Man, my left leg feels so good. I had to go up stairs at my mother's place so I would use two canes and place the surgical leg first, then apply full weight to left leg, then drag right leg into place. I have just about lost all use of my right leg, dramatically so. It was not this way second week after returning home from hospital. Same about the back, but on the right side and getting worse...

Well, I am discouraged a little that GAROSE is not answering. What are your thoughts about her, and I pray she is OK. Thanks so much for your words and thoughts, I mean it. I must get mentally ready for hip surgery again, and you give me strength!! I do not want to read my medical file just yet, maybe after second surgery...
 
hi @Me2 Sheryl!
Great post documenting your progress, accomplishments, and some things to work on.
I am so happy for you about all the physical progress you have made.
I am too afraid of dislocation to attempt getting on the floor or touching my toes. Will find out
on 5/28 if that is ok for me now....
Best wishes on your complete recovery. You have done so well!
Hugs :friends:
 
Hey there @Me2 look at you, you recovery rock star! I hope I am there at six weeks! I am having lots of groin pain, I think it is from the PT exercises, it is not intolerable, just frustrating. I am heading into the office for a half day to see how that goes. Great to hear your update!
 
@Dmcfad2 - I am going to write that at least a hundred times -- I really need to get it!
@Dieter - thanks for the kind words - I've really been feeling like a recovery wimp!
@MajorHeidi - with my job I spend more of my time on the floor than anywhere else -- remember that Quasimodo limp thing? That was most embarrassing but crawling off the floor a zillion times a day was a close second. Since I could deal with pain, had gotten so used to pain, the embarrassment and avoiding life were my thing that I had to get this done.

Milestone -- good and bad depending on the moment . . . for the first time in ages left/surgical hip hurts a tad more than right/non-surgical. Just some achy hurt right under middle of incision so I'm guessing where all the work was done. I'm sure just normal stuff. I've been trying to use it more to see if right hip settles down. I actually had a few moments of putting all of "this" behind me this morning and focusing on getting on with life this summer: vacation, horseback riding, bike riding, not necessarily in that order. :wink: Started back pedaling on getting injection next week, and hubby said no. Regardless, relief through summer, time to recover, not think of surgery through fall when better to deal with. I'm trying to convince myself but not fool myself. Life is and will be good.

Hugs :friends: to all.
 
@Me2 Have you looked into massage for release of scar tissue from the surgery? My incision is too new for that, maybe a few more weeks and I'll get to work on it, but if you are having pain around the incision it may me related to scarring....just a thought
 
Actually I hadn't noticed until the OS pointed out that I should start massaging the incision to reduce the collagen right under the incision. I have been and the first couple if days it felt irritated. It does look much better today. Where the incision goes right over bone at the top of thigh hurts to touch but not much. @Dieter how was "half" day of work?




Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
actually, @Me2 it wore me out! I dozed off during a conference call, so I decided to go home, got an ice pack, sat in the recliner and slipped into a come for two hours...
also I am going to work the scar over with Mederma, that will help lighten the scar and soften it at the surface.
 
@Dieter Conference calls can do that to ya even when you haven't just had major surgery!! Good for you that you packed it in and took a nap :)


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just back visiting and to update ---

My new hip is doing so amazingly well! At almost 8 weeks, I'm finding the comparison so very interesting -- my new hip moves so smooth, the numbness is so much less. Some of the things (such as crossing legs to put socks/shoes on and reaching down to tie), I can do but still tight but I think the other hip is limiting factor. After last Thanksgiving/Christmas, I had sworn never to spend another holiday on the floor -- had small Memorial Day picnic with my sister and guess where I spent last night? Yep, gotta get my head ready for next go-round.

I did visit the psychiatrist last Friday (really liked her) -- diagnosis was (surgical) PTSD with underlying medical phobia. I think perfect storm of the phobia (that I so thought I had worked thru as I was so calm and ready pre-surgery) + the effects of Tramadol (researched all of the drugs I had) + the first Physical/Therapist + normal roller coaster emotions of surgery + the snowballing effect of 3-4 hours of sleep and waking in the midst of panic + fear of waking in middle of panic + avoiding sleep = I have some work to do. She prescribed some drugs but looking at side effects and knowing what we went thru with my son to get drugs worked out, I found some new determination to get these panic/anxiety attacks under control. My husband is really being supportive as he totally agrees with less drugs the better. I am getting better sleep as I started Tylenol p.m. to relieve pain of right hip and new shoulder injury, and it worked really well with sleep. I put a hard limit on controlling panic thru tonight or commit to drugs -- some rough patches but so far . . . then day by day through Friday when psychiatrist and I have phone appointment. She mentioned seeing a behaviorist re phobias so I will definitely be checking into that so as to be done with the last and ready for next!

Life is good, I will appreciate it. Hope all is well my friends.
 
Hi Debbie.
Just had a read through your recent posts... whilst it seems like you have had a hard time, mentally, you still seem very positive :) That, coupled with all the other help will get you through this stronger than ever.
There is absolutely nothing "wimpy" about it in my opinion.
Major surgery is an agression to the body and the mind. Once your sleep patterns improve, the rest will follow too.
You have lots of support here, as I am sure you know - think positive! :friends:
 
@Me2 glad you saw someone. I am not a big believer in meds as psychiatrists seem to be.There are so many wonderful things that are natural to reduce your anxiety. Please try them first and if course use meds if needed:) . I meditate regularly. I am a big believer in mindfulness . I try to keep my head and anxiety there and if I lose it .. Bring it back.. Try to use something to help you sleep.. Even 1/2 Xanax might help. If you sleep it will help so much. Have you thought of just seeing a psychologist for talk therapy. Psychiatrists strictly use meds.. So maybe working through the anxiety naturally and speaking to someone will be all you need. So sorry you have struggled with this.. I am sure I have a medical phobia also:)))


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
So maybe working through the anxiety naturally and speaking to someone will be all you need.

@paych2. Yes I have put meds aside for now. She said about 6 months for meds to stabilize. I really don't have that kind of time nor want to go the route of meds to get me on track. Any suggestions on more natural route would be deeply appreciated.

I went psychiatrist route first because I did want to check on possibility of what if any drugs to avoid next time. I finally got the list of drugs and one I had IV in hospital for 3 days (Ketorolac - with one of its brand names being Tramadol?) which you mentioned somewhere as affecting serotonin? I found that some of it's less frequent side effects ("euphoria. Very infrequently, paresthesia, depression, insomnia, inability to concentrate, nervousness, excessive thirst, dry mouth, abnormal thinking") describes much of what I experienced. What I couldn't find was how long the effects last as I only had IV in hospital. But guessing part of the "snowball" turned avalanche. I can deal with a heck of lot physical pain to avoid this head trip!

We did discuss referral to behaviorist to deal with "underlying phobia" She seemed to feel I needed to get panic/anxiety under control first. I am going to do that without drugs, by darn it ! I took Tylenol PM (initially for hip and shoulder pain) the last couple nights and slept pretty deep if not quite as long as I'd like and then pain free mornings. Is Xanax OTC? I am feeling better with just 3 nights in row of deep sleep.

So happy your recovery is going well.....and what exactly is wrong with heels and bikini on the beach at the same time :dancy: ..... Celebrate!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom