THR Me2 and Recovery

this week, I have been able to sit down on floor with the kiddos for story time -- I used to hold each on on my lap to read their story and am able to do it again! Even better, for the very first time, I was able to do circle time dances!
@Dmcfad2 I am able to move hip so much more than before --- but I have been moving it cautiously -- my new improved PT did carefully guide me through the motions when I expressed apprehension about doing what she called "windshield wiper" exercise considering that pre-surgery I was barely able to move 2-3 inches off center (which is not quite enough :heehee:) Now, it moves past 2-3 inches past shoulder width. The exercise that you mentioned "laying here on my back trying to open my hip up by bending my knees up and then letting my left knee fall to the side" was one the therapist I had last year (before surgery to try to get some ROM back) had me do, but I've not pushed that too far post-surgery. I can feel the pull when I do the "wiper" one. I can't wait to get to outpatient therapy and get some ideas on strengthening those muscles!

I'm continually surprised how the ROM changes each day -- some big changes, some small but always a little more. Almost all tightness is gone! Almost all numbness gone! Even feeling those unused muscles getting a little more able!
 
@Me2 Hope you had a good today with your kiddos.
I am waiting on the tractor to be delivered. Yeha!
 
Yes they are like sponges -- they soak up all your love and energy but give them a little squeeze and they give it all back.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Me2 In the windshield wiper exercise, are your on your back with legs and feet straight up in the air and then you move them out to the side and back?
 
@Dmcfad2. No they are actually lying down just like heel slides. I used same board under foot for both cause I don't like feel if sheets when I slide feet across. I think I would be afraid to try legs in air trick-speaking of exercise only!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2 Yes -- snow angels -- I remember thinking that when she described as windshield wiper.

@Poppet I did go back and reread your article on sleep. I really find this sleep thing frustrating as I normally close my eyes and go to sleep. I only usually need 5-6 hours with short 10-15 power nap in afternoon. In an effort to recover "properly," I made it my goal to get 8 at night and a short closed eyed rest in morning and afternoon. I have stopped taking day time naps just rest. Before surgery I started this thing of waking up between 3-4 a.m. The big difference now is now staying awake and getting on that slippery slope of panic attack and anxiety creating the really crazy night like last week with wanting my old hip back. I don't have the excuse of pain (never above 0-1) or pain meds (only taking Celebrex cause doc told me too and BS seems to say take and its working so . . . ). I eat my banana a day, almonds, turkey for dinner since Easter, take a magnesium supplement as per chiropractor order, and they had continued in hospital so kept to their drug regimen. I'm gluten-free so wheat bread and oatmeal out. I'll try some honey in my chamomile tea tonight. I think I'm active enough during day as I've been back to work (with help) since Day 6 and at Day 21 am fully engaged with six preschoolers for 10 hours a day. The lack of sleep is difficult but I guess real challenge are the night time panics. I really don't want sleeping meds as my husband suggested, and I do like idea of working with body with nutrition and exercise. Any insight? From anyone?
 
@Poppet I also have noticed significant hair loss for the past three weeks since surgery . . . I found that article very interesting also --- I don't eat red meat but do eat cod, nuts, beans, poultry. My iron levels were back up to 12 when leaving hospital despite donating one unit of my blood 7 days before surgery. After surgery they were 9.3 I think they said. I munched on prunes rather than stool softeners since high iron content, too.

Beg forgiveness if direct questions are problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there @Me2 honey you don't need to beg forgiveness for any question you want to ask me regards nutrition :)

I am working today so will get back to you tomorrow - take care - hugs from down under x
 
Hi @Me2 - so pleased you have found the articles informative. Nutrition is such an important facet of our recovery. The old saying 'We are what we eat' really does count. Energy in, energy out is an article I am currently working on :)

I am a Coeliac so no gluten products for me either. I bake and cook with coconut products, oil, flower and occasionally coconut sugar, but I am conscious this is still a sugar, albeit a low glycemic index sugar. Sugar and wheat (and other processed foods) have a very acidic reaction and can especially be an irritant to joints.

Sleeping is an issue - I hear you about those wee small hours when the our brains go into overdrive. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night and eat two small bananas and have a chamomile tea and eventually be able to settle. You are also on the right track with the Magnesium!

I know you have read this probably a million times - you are still early days in the scheme of your recovery. However, it is true. I found that I would have these fabulous breakthrough and then plateau in my recovery. It is tough if you are working long days at the same time. I had always given myself permission to take two full years for recovery however, around the seven month mark, I noticed that I was unaware of my THR. By twelve months, then eighteen months then two years I felt recovery was mine.. I have cultivated (had to really) patience - now that was new to me, but it serves me well..

Tag me if you want to chat x
 
@Poppet I recognize that I am still in recovery -- my physical recovery has been amazing. The visible factors are simply outstanding: smooth movement of hip, increasing range of motion, pain never above 0-1, incision healing not only nicely but almost fading quickly (though still about 1-2 inch numb area and 1/16 inch hard area right under incision), even without the sleep I am not really tired (don't really feel like I'm getting less than 4-5 hours). I'm walking super smooth except when right hip starts to bother me. I know my body is still doing a tremendous amount of healing inside healing tissue and bone, etc. In fact, my 16 year son asked how I was doing (thank heaven for alone in the car time), and I was impressed with how well I explained everything to him (confirming it in my mind, of course, as I am firm believer in teaching something is the best way to learn something). Physically, I don't feel I could be doing any better.

I adjusted my diet day before yesterday. Focused all day on sleep inducing food and absolutely avoiding all caffeine -- I guess it worked I fell asleep at 6:45 p.m. and slept until 5:30 a.m. My hubby said I woke up and ate dinner with him but just a vague recollection of that. Yesterday, I spent much time outside, and was careful, but not as careful, to eat well. My son needed rides to and from friends so I didn't go to bed til midnight but then laid awake fighting off my thoughts. I will have to try the getting up and doing the glass of milk and banana. Maybe even distracting myself with some small task? I wouldn't call this normal depression/blues - I do feel very accomplished in physical recovery and upbeat and positive, otherwise.

However, during the night, while I rest but don't go to sleep, my mind goes into these awful areas. I dealt with my wanting my old parts back last Sunday (ceremonial fire, burning the picture, "proper" though symbolic saying goodbye). Your words of wisdom really helped accept my new body part. I'm beginning to obsess over whether and when right hip needs done. The bigger stressor is the sedative during surgery. During the day, I accept that I "slept" through the surgery. I had asked OS and anesthesiologist to be awake for surgery. I did not explain myself well. I wanted to know what my body was experiencing and to not be missing the memories. I gave anesthesiologist "permission" during pre-op meeting to lie to me about sedative and to allow me to think that I was going to be able to be awake. I needed to get to the surgery. The OS and anesthesiologist both told me no and I okay-ed (I didn't jump off of table). I even closed my eyes and allowed myself to relax and accept. Now, I feel like that part of my mind is saying "Ha, now I'm going to make you stay awake every night for the rest of your life while I try to remember all the details of what happened." But, I know those memories are not there. I just have to accept it. Day time, I can - my mind and body are busy doing other things, and I realize how useless the worries are. Night time, puh. I have had three decent nights sleep in the 24 days since surgery. I know physically my body deserves better and needs sleep for recovery. What to do?
 
@Me2 sometimes I have a very difficult time getting my mind to SHUT UP in the wee hours, I keep a pad/pen on my nightstand and when I have specific thread running through the dusty corners of irrational thought I wite it down and tell it I will deal with you tomorrow. Usually it is a "what the hell was I thinking about" when I look the next day
I bet someone smarter than I have already suggested this, but is is a good practice to try.
Peace
 
@Dieter Yea, I don't have to even write it down to think "what the hell was I thinking about?" Even during the day, when I have two minutes (i.e. driving from one place to another -- had a half hour drive to a training this morning), my thoughts get just too twisted. When I'm thinking the thoughts, I know they are useless. PTSD? Thanks, I appreciate that there is someone else out there.
 
@Me2 For years I have kept a very small battery operated radio next to my bed. When I wake up in the wee hours (most nights) I slip it under my pillow and tune into the most boring talk station I can find. I'm back asleep in no time. Listening to wacky talk keeps the mind from wandering:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I find the best method of breaking the pattern of a 'sleepless in OZ land' night is to get up immediately rather than lay there and let my mind wander. This does two things. It uses physical energy and sometimes the body is needing to move. Secondly, it distracts the mind, by having to pop the kettle on, get a cup, sit and eat a banana etc. etc..

I also use homeopathic drops which are absolutely wonderful and are freely available over the counter here in OZ. But sadly given my professional restrictions I am unable to prescribe a specific homeopathic to you. However if you google BACH remedies you will finds heaps of wonderful information about them. Look for the official site which is in the UK. My advice is to chat to a natural medicine practitioner and your own medical Doctor to get the 'go ahead' before trying them..I have to qualify that this is information only and not an attempt to prescribe.
 
Great suggestions from every one @Me2

I hope something gives you some help in sleeping....otherwise you are doing so well
 
Thank you everyone --- I got one good night sleep! A very difficult day yesterday == just simply being so tired, the drive to the training by myself in a car which left too much time to think --- and just crazy thoughts of never being able to sleep -- and why -- I did sleep from 10:30 - 5:30 and more importantly to my psyche closed my eyes and fell back to sleep until 6:30. My normal weekday wake-up time is 5:30, and I do usually keep in on weekends.
Yes, Sally @Vetgirl, I do fully acknowledge that physically I am doing absolutely fabulous - I feel very accomplished in that I've reached and exceeded the physical goals I set back in January to be able to do this. I knew that psychologically I was having problems - but from reading here - I was so relieved to find that I was quite normal on that end. I thought I had worked through all of those and prepared my mind and body.
You, Sally, are doing absolutely fabulous --- with all your body has been through I am very impressed with your positive spirit and so able to reach out to support the rest of us!
 
LOL! That's what non-medical persons call the hip! But the hip joint is a different thing as you now know, and that is very close to the groin.
hip.PNG


[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


@Josephine -- this picture is great --- pictures speak a thousand words -- What is it in the "groin" area that hurts so? I even now have a better understanding of the pain beginning this hip adventure of mine ---

Is there a good one(s) to explain the back pain associated with hip issues? Speaking of both middle of the lower back - what this layman calls her tailbone - as I have shown docs, if I open my fingers wide and place at bottom of spine, as well as off to the right at the top of whatever big bony structure is there at top of "hip" just below waist (pelvis)? Trying really hard to deny that pain in right side is body telling me get ready for Part 2 of Hip-Adventure. Still hoping just associated pain even though there have been times when right hip as bad if not worse than LTHR side.

I pulled quote over to hear so as not to hijack other thread, hopefully ok.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Me2 Your tag for Jo didn't work. I think you added a space in there. Maybe you can edit it. I would like to hear her response, too. My right groin is giving me worse pain than I was having on my left. I don't want another surgery for awhile, either! Yesterday I noticed that my left knee is bothering me a bit and my lower back. This is all new stuff for me (except for the right groin pain. I had that before). Hoping I am just adjusting to my new hip with these other, new aches and pains.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom