Guest viewing is limited

THR Me2 and Recovery

Glad most is well. As you know there are going to be ups and downs. Just remember when hitting one of the down spots that you soon will be on the rise! Do well and stay positive! Feed of of the kids energy, they will help recharge you.
 
Wow Sheryl! You are doing amazing! Sleeping pain free must be such a revelation and it's awesome that you get to rest when the kids have their rest time too. And how completely brilliant that you can recognise those down times for what they are now...a temporary blip on the radar.

You are rockin' your recovery so far, just be careful not to overdo it!
 
Where are you, @Me2??? Hope all is well....been watching for an update. Miss hearing from you and your horse and the kids!! You're my hero!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sheryl! @Me2 Havent seen you around for a few days, hope everything is ok with you?
 
Hi @Me2 ! Sheryl, of course you are doing great. I expected nothing less the second time around.
Yay you!!!
So happy to hear that things are going so well for you.
Hope you stay with Bonesmart to cheer me on when I get my second (whenever that comes about )...
:friends:
 
Please update us @Me2. Hope all is well. You are my hip buddy, joined at the hip. I over did it some yesterday! Beautiful day tried a walk to the mailbox, about 600 feet one way. That went well but I paid for it with swelling and pain overnight and this morning. I am sure it is all part of the Rite of Passage for zee hip. Today I broke into double digits with day 10 Post op. Celebrated by shaving, found out I am not a beard man, and by taking a long Hot shower. OOH did that feel good. I see the doc on Wednesday to get staples out and hope I can stop using the TED hose. Those things make the bruised part of the leg hurt more than anything. Been taking my Aspirin 325mg EC 2 times a day by the clock, don't want a pesky DVT or PE. Positive news is that even with the pain from incision and surgical site and the pain from the bruised area, I have not had one of the killer cramps which were occurring during week one post op. Hope all are well!! Give us some good news @Me2 .
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Me2
Sheryl @Me2 is here! So sorry folks, I've not been updating and visiting . . . seems all I do is sleep . . . and I do mean a deep, dreamless hours at a time sleep. Monday thru Friday, I had to be up at 6, greeting kids at 7, taking care of the wee ones til 9:30, short rest til 10, preschool, outside, lunch at 12:45, sit down story time at 1:30, nap with little ones 2-400, visit parents and send kids home from 4-6, sleep from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. with short bathroom breaks, change ice pack, and right back to sleep. I am falling asleep quickly, no dreams, no waking up in state of fear and anxiety so far. Still holding my breath that I can hold the mental state, but so far no regrets! As much as I feared it would, my mind just does not go there. I am very comfortable thinking about surgery but just as comfortable not. No OCD thoughts, no suicidal thoughts, no dwelling on past or lost body parts, no wanting to rip out my new parts - actually feeling that
I am filled with star dust- I find that so, so special :)

At Day 11, now physically , I am still favoring surgical leg when walking. I only need cane for first couple minutes of walking then I tend to "forget" it, but I still keep it handy. I've only taken 500 mg Tylenol 2-3 times since surgery, and no real need for any. Occasional ache "between legs" on right, and on outside of hip, and when I get tired some ache in incision area. Just smooth, lack of pain in hip joint except for if I sit up as at computer or elevate when laying down. I don't have numbness nearly as much as last time. In fact, I'm little worried because my left leg numbness is at just a very little bit less than right. Do I need to accept that the numbness remaining in left is permanent? I did and do have much more "log leg" than last time - as in the leg just does not do. Still very tight and difficult to bend backwards at knee. I danced with the kids a little for our movement time. I got down on floor to get something (Why?!?!) and got very scary stuck. My husband had to pick me up. And I also went to restaurant on Friday, got so tired, and just physically could not lift myself to get back in van. My son picked up me up for that. I have no appetite, nausea when smelling some foods, but am forcing myself to eat, no taste tho. No idea why. I half ordered, half cooked dinner last night for family but it did completely wipe me out. My sons came home to visit and my hubby put them to work on some fall outdoor projects! My patience with recovery is surprising even me, and I've had only two dips on that emotional roller coaster at Day 5 and Day 9 but felt so "normal".

Such an wonderful framing of my recovery and asking for help . . . when I did the "I'm sorry to have to ask but please help me", and my son lifted me into the van on Friday, he said, "Mom, you don't need to apologize for asking for help with things like this (for recovery). If you were still avoiding surgery, still hadn't done the surgery, and needing us to help you, then you would be a bother. But, we are more than happy to help you." :)

So Jena @Meggzie, I will check your thread, but I am doing more than fine. I got to visit with my Storm yesterday - my son and his friend were going for a costumed Halloween ride and brought my guy to the house to visit me! I'm tempted to but haven't visited the barn yet. Its Sunday here so I may trek up there today. The PT exercises to adduct/abuct my hip are going well. I am hoping that I can sit astride my Storm and hold on tight enough to ride safely. Such a difference with surgery 1 . . . but . . . :fasthorse: will I be able to safely canter and ride with the wind? I know I'm being greedy now!

@hzootz , my hip buddy, the weather and fall foliage here is also so tempting to go out for a long walk - I've ventured to our mailbox a few times but its probably only 50 feet or so. It does feel so good to be out in the fresh air! Showers do feel so wonderful - but it is such a struggle to put TEDs back on! I have the Lovelox injections - 3 more to go. I can do the injections no problem but hurts so bad for 2-3 minutes after. I don't have any physical bruising but, you are definitely right, TEDS over incision just not good but seem to cut off circulation if left below. I certainly have no solution but hopefully have to wear until Wednesday!

Claire @MajorHeidi you lady are the supreme support friend! I do believe when and if the time comes for you to do Hip#2, we are all going to travel to Virginia and physically cheer you at your bedside! :friends::yay::loveshwr:

Hopefully your hip is behaving now the your OS told it that it is still good :yes:.

@beachgal I'm your hero? I wouldn't be here without you!
Consider yourself smacked with my favorite aunt's iron skillet.
All of you @Jaycey, @GaRosehippy @Dieter @mystikfairy61 @mucking @Jamie @CanukTriMom and all who came on and encouraged when I was doubting doing this surgery! Yes, at Day 11, I now recognize the lack of ache and pain pre-surgery better than I recognized actual pain. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
 
Wow @Me2 already working! You have a great schedule to make sure you rest. So glad you are doing well with small hiccups and we all have those. It is great to have that pre-sugery pain gone. You are an inspiration. Keep your spirits going. Amazed with what you are doing. :wowspring:
 
@Me2 Wow! Sheryl, you are so amazing. I can't believe you are doing so well so soon and I am still struggling after 7 months! But, I am so happy for you and just a bit envious. In actuality, I am seeing improvement a little at a time, but my recovery has been soooooo long!

I am still having pain in my "other" hip, but plan on waiting until I can't take it anymore! Right now I can still manage. I still check in occasionally and am so happy for you and glad you aren't having the mental issues you had before. Keep it up, young lady! And don't overdo it, you over-achiever, you. :)
 
Wow @Me2 already working!
To say I'm working - remember I do work in my home taking care of little ones and have an amazing full time assistant. And we all take a nap from 2-4. But I am working and bushed at end of day!

Thanks Debbie @Dmcfad . . . . I am very lucky in healing. . . . and I do think that the pain and limitations for me before Hip #1 has made my healing easier? Pain tho' has never been biggee for me --- I so hated limping and not being able to do. Even the beginning of limitations and limping this time pushed me to doing Hip #2. AND all my BoneSmart friends!
 
Sheryl, you are an amazing specimen! :yes::yes::yes:
When you said you got down on the floor to get something, I winced.
I STILL haven't gotten down on the floor at six and a half months and only one hip done!!!
I know that's odd, but I have this irrational fear that I will dislocate trying to stand up and see myself
in this funky tripod position, and just haven't gone there.
You are a trailblazer.
I am so glad you are doing well, and that you haven't had those awful thoughts like last time.
:yes!:
 
OMG...@Me2. You are back at work..doing all that stuff too...no wonder you are sleeping like a baby!! Good on you. I got down on the floor ONCE about 6 months post op.....eeek! big mistake...took ages to get back up in the most ungainly fashion....have never repeated that exercise since!

So pleased that you are remaining calm with no crazies.......you're even making me wonder whether I should get my other 'cranky' hip done now ....if I could be as good as you I would! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 So great to hear you're doing well - and yep - no wonder you're sleeping like a baby with your big days!! You're doing just brilliantly - you are my trailblazer and giving me such a great act to follow!! I'm doing great too - I've updated over on my thread - but the big news here is that... I'M HOME!!! Woohoo!

Have an amazing day!
 
@Me2, I've put my aunt's iron skillet back in the cupboard! You've done an amazing job with the best of attitudes and it's paying off in huge dividends! Just remember the mantra and continue to be kind to yourself. So, SO happy for you!! YAY!!:happydance:

It's going to be a fabulous holiday season for all us hippies!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


I have been meaning to add some pictures! The first is my "autographs" pre-surgery. Then, a picture of moments after while still in recovery. Then, a photo of my wound at 2 week post-op and an xray of my matched pair!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Finally, taking some time to update at Day 17 -

I had my first post-op visit on Tuesday -- as above picture show, after they took steri-strips off, my wound is still "interesting" - the goo on the top (to the right end) is just "glue" not the rampant infection I immediately assumed when I saw it. Everything else is looking good, according to the surgeon, physical therapist and me. We reviewed what I remember of surgery, xray, recovery progression, etc. We scheduled appointment for 4 weeks rather than normal 6 to check progress. Still just showers, no bath or swimming, or gym. Released to other activities and drive as I felt comfortable - tried driving, but though braking ok, I was not at all comfortable with keeping foot steady on gas pedal, so I'll try again soon. Some of those other "activities" :)eyebrows:) are still on hold tho hubby is ready to help there as needed. (Debbie @Dmcfad2 maybe now is good time for that plan your husband had.)

I was happy to report to surgeon at that point I had had no recognizable crazy thoughts, no OCD, no PTSD, no panic or anxiety. I have had some normal emotional roller coaster moments but feels good to be normal. However, :scaredycat:, I did have wake up on Wednesday night with not being able to sleep, then Thursday, I woke up dozed off, woke up in fear with some issues, but slept well Friday with a great deal of determination to not overthink.

A story of interest especially to Jena @Meggzie and @concal : Yesterday, at Day 16, we were getting my child care preschoolers/toddlers ready for Halloween celebration when the nurse (Steve) sent text to say he was 5 minutes from me, when we had knock at door from a gentlemen saying my fence was down and horses out of pasture. Hmmm. What to do? I had my assistant take over both groups and, of course, I hobbled out the door without my cane down the road -- not so bad 2 horses still in pasture, but fence down (devil's night,deer, or husband), and one Houdini horse out. I got him on lead, led him the 100 yards up the road, 200 yards up driveway to and back into paddock, called the other two horses back, and secured in paddock. Since I hadn't been to barn yet, I received lots of "loving" from all three, gave them their treats, and hobbled back to house to my kiddos and nurse waiting for me. Even though he's been home health nursing for many years, he assured me he's never had to wait for a patient to round up her horses and bring them back to pasture, but that was okay, as just one more thing to make me one of his more "memorable" patients! As you both know, it really is (somewhat) rewarding to be so "loved" by our guys.

Of course, besides this lovely experience allowed me to have another "normal" recovery event -- I spent most of the night very achy, very hurting from back to joint to knee! Lots of tears and worry that I must have broken something, probably totally destroyed my new part, and now would never recover with a good stable joint. BUT, once I fell asleep, I slept like a rock with a Tylenol, elevation, and ice. Still, hurting a little (okay more than a little) . . . no kids today, just a good cold, rainy autumn day in Pittsburgh to rest, ice, elevate, and hopefully catch up with all of my friends and your recoveries!

I was a bit worried that the patience that was implanted this time ran out but . . . I'm feeling pretty great.
 
I'm smiling, your horses appear to be opportunists, just like mine. I swear they get up to no good at the worst possible times. Your horse was a good boy, there have been times when I've had a lose horse, he sees me coming, and takes off, tail flying, to play the game of 'catch me if you can.' No way could I have done what you did at day 17. You are amazing and no doubt stubborn too. I rode for a little over an hour yesterday, my longest ride to date at 3 months. I hauled for the first time and it felt so good to have my freedom again. The burning pain has almost gone away, just as you said it would. What a relief. Keep up your remarkable progress!
 
Amazing story, and to think, this morning I thought I was cool because my little papillion, Squatch, got me up in a panic because she had to go out! Got on shoes, jacket, put her on the lead (we trained her to hop up on the couch so I could hook her up.) took off out the door, she scooted down the street. As for me I wouldn't call it scooting, but walked at a relatively brisk pace. No bad incidents, though did think how odd it would look if I went down and had to use the street sign to pull me up. Back home moving around well so far today. Going on a road trip to a local vineyard with my girl. No way at the beginning did I think I could do so much by Day 17.

Keep on going @Me2 .
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom