THR Me2 and Recovery

Way to go Sheryl!! You are braver than me... I plan to be well and truly knocked out for mine!!:sleeep:

Rest up and enjoy your dinner!! Other than that, you know the drill - take it easy, get that ice on and keep the meds going by the clock!

You're on your way!!!:yay:
 
Yay @Me2 Sheryl!!!
:wowspring:ON being mostly awake during this procedure.
You will have to tell us what you heard....
Did having the surgery this way make you calmer?
Glad you are doing well this time around, too!
 
I really, really did it! Surgery was done with just spinal and fentanyl. A bit too much fentanyl as I kept dozing off and on until I got into recovery area. But I got to see and hear enough hopefully to set in my mind that all was good. I was awake into the OR, then they draped which,of course, was done so I couldn't see anything except straight up, to the sides, and a gazillion people working on hips. Funny thing, every once in awhile, I'd see a foot moving through the air, and I couldn't imagine why or how they would have a foot flying. Then recognized it as mine!

Back to my room, ate lunch, went for 200 foot walk, even dozed a bit before supper. Unfortunately, from about 3:00 anything that hit stomach came right back up so I couldn't quite even try the yummy looking chicken Marsala.

Pain level this time is great deal more than Aprils surgery but that's because I have so far only had Tylenol. Laying down with ice, being up and walking is great but sitting in chair not so much.

Drain out as well as Catheter out, and successfully used bathroom for BM. So I can cross that off the list of. "Things I need todo"

Hotel/hospital staff here has been terrific as last visit.

Thank you all for being here and good wishes. I so wanted to post yesterday but I couldn't get my IPad connected to put in any responses. Thank you who ever helped me change password.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you are done and dusted @Me2 ! I was SO glad to be out for the entire procedure this time. But hey - if you were prepared for it then it probably would not be that bad. You know the mantra!
 
@MajorHeidi. Yes I chose and begged the docs to allow me to stay awake. I fear(ed) getting those crazies back again and worked to get rid of any possible reasons for the crazies.

They consented to no sedation or amnesiac drugs at the PreOp meeting. I did not want the fentanyl ( that was only way anesthesiologist would agree to not normal sedation route and it did make me much more drowsy. But, I do remember getting on to somewhat regular operating room table and putting my arms in the wings. I didn't see what they did below the waist for the drapes, but could hear the saw and hammering noises which were nowhere near as loud or long as I thought. I could feel the vibration of the hammer. By the end of surgery, the spinal was wearing off so that I could wiggle my toes (and was promptly reminded not to). I could feel the pulling when they were stitching me up, just a tugging sensation. Then back to recovery for a hour or so along with the putting on the TED hose. All is good so far!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
By the way, did I do well enough to get my Hippey trophy this time? I somehow never got one for my LTHR. Thank you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear you are feeling well Me2 and on your Hippy journey! Wow! You are brave to even want to hear or see your surgery. I told them I wanted to sleep.... and wake up with it over. That is what I got thank goodness. Look Forward to hearing how things go for you on your thread. Please be sure not to over do it like I did once you get home! I felt so good, I did more than I should have and possible caused my hematoma on my incision. Just rest, ice and elevate. Take good care and sending lots of ((hugs)) your way! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@Me2, I'm steadying myself as I type this...cannot believe you chose to be "awake" during this operation!! You, my friend, are true pioneer stock!! I understand why this was your choice, though, and hopefully it will eliminate those horrid "crazies" and allow you to heal and move forward with joy! Hubby and I prayed for you yesterday morning as we were lying in bed, he has heard me speak of your travails for months now and is equally happy as I that you are on the mend. You know the drill...just so proud of you!! :happydance::yay: :cheers: :yes!: :spin: :egypdance:
 
@Me2 - Best Wishes for a smooth recovery. Wow, awake??!!! I don't think I could ever pull that off, I get the crazies watching the movie Saw...I think my imagination would just be outta control and i'd have panic attacks...but to each her own...hoping the stomach issues clear up and you could enjoy the gourmet food!!!
 
Sounds like fun..not!! I'm in awe of you @Me2... Me, being the consummate coward I asked for as much sedation as was possible ..I woke up just as they were finishing and they told me a joke but other than that I heard/saw nothing. Do hope this has eased your 'crazies ' honey....I'm sure that's just what you needed! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sheryl, glad you were able to pull it off this time so that they would agree.
Funny about seeing your foot in the air over the draping!
No way could I have tolerated hearing a saw and hammer. You are strong! :holysheep:
 
Hi Me2. I'm so glad it went well for you, your so brave! Now take your time with the recovery stages and keep us posted how it's going xx


I had THR on 15 September 2014. Had to have a bone graft due to protrusion into the pelvic bone. Also found out I have "soft bones" and therefore have small fractures on my femur due to operation.
 
Everything went much better today. No more nausea by about 11:00. But, now I've had a fever all day 101.4-101.8). Blood numbers were only 8.3, and I think it needs to be above 10. Pain at about 1-2 when lying down. Getting up and down and walking first couple steps was hitting 6 but then settles to 3-4. This evening, was not even that bad. Only taking 500 milligrams(?)Tylenol. They are a little slower on ice than I'd like but do get it for me if I ask.

Most importantly I slept off and on. Last Spring when I was here, I had a huge project due for work so it was actually a working vacation. This time, my deadline was October 15, same day as surgery, so I had to get done before surgery. Tada, I am taking care of me, reading, sleeping, and taking care of me some more!

I am so hoping for shower tomorrow morning!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That sounds incredible. .. I hope the temp eases. Maybe once you're holding food down and resting the blood count will pick up... enjoy your holiday! Is it your birthday too around now?

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Low grade fever happens to many post op. You are in the right place to get it controlled. Hope you are getting some much needed rest.
 
Hi Sheryl! Hope that fever is easing off? And good on you for giving yourself a proper break - experience tells us how important it is to rest, right? :yes:

I'm starting to get nervous now, had a really poor night's sleep last night. No ibuprofen for 10 days pre-op isnt helping - and I had some seriously crazy dreams. Just 2 more sleeps and I'll be joining you on the other side!!:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom