THR Me2 and Recovery

great to hear from you Sheryl, sounds like you are zeroing in on what to do with your right hip. Losing 50 lbs since New Year must really help you look and feel amazing! (maybe time to update your pic!)
I'm gearing up for a 52 mi bike tour in mid August, love to get saddle time (any saddle:wink:)!
Keep your chin up, I'll cruise back by in August and check what your OS says.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sheryl, good to hear from you.
Glad to hear most of your problem was the SI joint, and hope you get good relief from the shot.
Happy weight loss to you!
Enjoy the summertime. :SUNsmile:
 
@Me2, what a great and inspiring update!! I'll take that, in four months, hands down! Love the weight loss, too. No wonder your updates sounds full of happiness!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So happy to read your new hip is performing well. And it does sound like you're on the path to getting the other pain issues taken care of. Please keep up with the reports. It's always wonderful to hear from you.
 
For so many years, I denied and worried and fretted that all of my "hip" pain were so NOT related to needing a hip replacement. I did therapy, worked out, and saw a chiropractor to make my hips better. Then, I decided that I would do whatever it took and finally scheduled the surgery on left hip. After my amazing physical recovery, my left side feels so fabulous!

I had my appointment with my OS yesterday . . . he said yes, arthritis in right hip certainly looks bad enough to justify surgery and even discussed for long time what it would take to not have psychological trauma. (I'll get to say good bye to my hip! I can't take it with me but he said he would arrange for me to say good bye and that it would not be just thrown out with all of the other medical waste. I know, I know, tmi, and really crazy.) Some other stuff, too, but we have to work on solutions there.

So, now, I am tentatively scheduled for October 15 - which is as soon as I can do it business wise and leaves us enough time to work on other issues. He wants to know I'm seeing therapist so as to have relationship established. He has to get anesthesiologist approval. I have to know that my symptoms will be cured with surgery or at least on their way to being fixed. I have learned patience, at least more than I had.

Ok, so fellow hipsters, OS says he can only guarantee the pain that I feel in the area if I "shot an arrow from front top of thigh (groin) to back" would be gone. What about the ache from waist to top of leg? Not horrible usually but exhausting? What about grainy feeling when I walk? What about foot that's been turning out at 45*-90* angle when I ache or am tired and need to get somewhere fast? What about not being able to squat down anymore? What about having such difficulty getting up from floor? What about not being able to cross right leg, or sit tailor style with right foot? What about sharp pain in back when I try any of those abduction movements with right leg? What about pain with sex? What about the pain if I stand up to fast? What about weakness in leg? Am I now wrongly assuming that will all go away with this surgery? :unsure: :sad: So much relief was attained with left surgery! But my limp was so bad, I had become so limited. But, nor do I want to go there :beg:.

Do I do surgery on all these "niggling" pains? My insurance this year is fantastic. Everything will be covered again. All my deductables are paid. With the volatile health insurance market in USA, who knows what next year will bring. I was without any health insurance for over two excruciating years of the drama. I thought right hip without symptoms but I guess I just didn't ask much of it. So, what to do, what to do?
 
Yea, part of me does but there is still the HUGE part that doubts, especially when OS says this, so I still need hit over the head with it.
 
Consider yourself smacked with my favorite aunt's iron skillet. You'll never have a better opportunity. I'll be here for you every step of the way. Promise.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
you what to expect and what the potential is....and so what to do...know that i'm thinking about you as you travel ground you have already been over...if my right hip was giving the trouble the left was I doubt I'd hesitate to get the relief. Now I'm off to do 20 mi on my bike just because I can!
Peace
 
Thank you @beachgal! I needed that - and I love iron skillets!:friends:

@Dieter - my right hip is no where near giving me the trouble the left hip was for the last year --- but I don't want to wait until it does if I could somehow know that ultimately it will. I am 55 years old - I've already wasted 5 years of not being able to do so much -- I was teased with being able to do so much after the surgery, and I get panicked that it is starting to slip away so fast -- it hurts again to ride, but I still can. I have difficulty sitting and laying down comfortably, without pain, but I still can. I get tired from the ache but not having excruciating pain all the time. I limp occasionally but not all the time and don't know that others even notice it yet (but I didn't think anyone else notice it with left either. I only know now because so many many people have commented on how well I was walking at 3-4 weeks post op! My son commented at the end of Week 1 - "Mom, I haven't seen you walk so well in years!") When I work out with weights, go for a horse ride, go for a long 6-8 mile bike ride, have better than normal sex, I pay for it for a day or two or three or week and have to ice, elevate, rest and live with it hurting. When left hip was at this point, I lost my health insurance for two plus years and had no choice. So . . . therein lies my dilemma. I want to live and not ever have to think about whether or when or if I will be having a good hip day or not. I want to be off on the 20 mile bike ride and not worry what it will cost me in time and pain. But having trouble with knowing heart and soul that that is a good enough reason. And, I'm having a no pain morning and I have such difficulty remembering what last night's pain felt like.
 
@Me2 Since you have the insurance this year, and all is maxed out, you should go for it.
I know I would! It isn't like there is any chance of the OS getting better, is it?
 
I agree with all who encourage you to get 'er done. Never will be a better time. You know what to expect, how to prepare, and how grand you will feel when it's not on your radar any longer. Best gift you could give yourself and your family. Set a date.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 I'm speaking from only 5 days in, but I had similar concerns last week. My pains included:

Dull ache/heaviness ( I wondered if I should have circulatory issues investigated)
Side of the hip pain
Back of the hip pain
Groin pain
Deep inside the hip pain
Charlie horse type pain
Knee pain
Some sort of pain above my ankle than only responded to firm counter pressure from the opposite heel
Sensitivity on that side from the waist down to all but the latest touch

ALL gone. And my surgery was monday

I had a really bad range of motion. I won't know exactly my results until my restrictions are gone, but other notable results:

My foot faces straight ahead now, not out like a duck. The doc lengthened my leg, so I'm not walking on my toes on that foot. Those factors should mean less tripping and most likely a resolution of my plantar fasciitis.


Hope that novel helps.

PS, also reflux is gone because I no longer take NSAIDs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 well, you and I both put off the first one far too long. If you remember a few weeks before my THR, I though I should put it off because I could continue to live with the episodes of pain and not go through the struggle of recovery (OK I was being a chicken...) but you know what is coming down the pike if you wait...i.e. it isn't going to get better. It's a personal decision, but if your OS is on board for this fall, and your insurance is lined up why wait till it is incapacitating...
Peace my sweet hippy friend...
 
@Me2 Sheryl bless your heart with the other hip giving you fits. But as others have said you have already traveled this road and know the answer. I am also dealing with another joint but mine is the left knee. In fact was supposed to have it done today but something else cropped up that needed attention first so the surgery is postponed for now. And I understand the feeling that the pain is not as bad as the other one and what to do. I have been dealing with the same thing with my knee and do truly understand. I hope that you get the peace that you are searching for and can get the other one done and get back to living pain free!!
 
So, what to do, what to do?
Get it done before you have to start planning your life around another sore hip. My hip has gone from tolerable to pretty darn bad in a matter of months. Dealing with mobility issues (again) is SO frustrating. 30 September can't come soon enough. Out with the old and diseased and on with living!
 
I agree with all the advice here, @Me2, Take advantage of your health insurance status this year and get it done. It never gets better and it can come on really quickly. Mine did. I went from being relatively okay to acute bone on bone pain in 2 months. We will all be here for you for moral support.
 
Hey girl, you know my feelings on the matter, get it done and over with! You will be brand new in no time. Life isn't worth living if every day is filled with pain and there is a solution. You have already been through it once, so you know what is in store for you. With your deductible met you would be silly to wait until next year and have to start all over again out of pocket!
 
I just had an 8 week follow up with my surgeon and he told me that I will probably be back for my other hip within 1 1/2 years. I know I won't let it get as bad as my first one now that I know what to expect.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom