THR Maryluibel's recovery thread<

So it’s day 10 and I’m still running a low grade temp, 98.9 -100
Please don't worry about it. You've a huge amount of cellular activity (healing) going on in your body right now and that accounts for the slight rise in temperature. And don't worry about taking things to lower it. It's perfectly normal!

Thank you so much that made me feel better. I’m not taking anything to lower it, Tylenol IS my pain med. I get nauseas in other things and for ME the nausea is worse than my pain. So my temp is around 99.3 in the afternoon before I take my next Tylenol. But 97.8 in morning. So I’m just moving on. My operated hip feels longer than my other leg and I feel I limp. I’m still on a walker at day 10. I’m trying not to limp, and keeping my leg under me, like the PT says. I also keep having twinges of some sort of pain/discomfort in my operated leg thigh area, sort of to the front. On and off. I freaked a little thinking it was a DVT, but not swollen red or hot. Thank you all for reading my story. I usually have a sense of humor about it all but I think the lack of sleep is making me sleepy!!

So I don’t want to be the one WORRIED all the time. The good news is this is post op day 11, or day 12 of hip replacement surgery (not sure if the day of surgery is counted or not). The “peg” leg doesn’t feel like it’s a lot longer than the other, maybe less today.
But here’s my new worry:
I have a spot below my incision that has been itching so much that I took Benadryl last night. So I’ve gotten out my trusty iPhone and have been taking photos of this. I thought: bug bite? Haven’t seen a bite on it. Then I thought, oh my God, bed sore?!! I’m freaking out. My H rubbed cream on it and told me to massage it but HE doesn’t think the beginning of a bedsore. (We both come from medical families, but neither of us went down that road, but we both worked in hospitals YEARS ago when in high school). I’m like, OMG, maybe I’m not up enough etc. I’m uploading my photo. It doesn’t itch as much. I added a soft pillow to sit on and am trying to lean less on that side (op side) but I don’t want hip to turn inward. Ughhh. Well can’t upload because “file too large”. Oh well. It’s a slightly darker colored area below incision.

@Maryluibel Did you have a dressing on your wound? You could just be having a reaction to the adhesive in the dressing. Did you have staples, stitches or glue to close the wound?

There is no adhesive there I don’t think. It’s way below the incision. I was having reactions where glue either dropped on my skin or something was stuck on my skin. I have under skin stitches, possibly glue and then adhesive strips. Interestingly, no itching there. I have very sensitive skin. I’m staying up more and am sitting in a different chair JUST IN CASE it’s the beginning of a pressure sore. My Pt comes tomorrow, although not a nurse, I’ll ask her about it. Of course I GOOGLED, I try not to. One supposed indication is that if you press on it it turns white. And it does. Apparently bed sores don’t do that. Not to be too graphic but this slot is down and close to wear my bum embed. So not near the incision. I know you can’t really tell me what it is, but this is weird. The itching has subsided. I’m putting cream on it and massaging. So weird. Thanks for replying so soon. It’s so cathartic just to throw it out there.
It’s sunny here and I’ve been walking around my house, stNding cleaning counters, and now sitting in a different chair folding laundry. It’s the little things isn’t it

@Maryluibel, my sense is that different surgeons have different ways they close the incision. So googling in general may not be helpful. Just call your surgeon's office and ask to talk to a nurse about the itch and the sore. If they're not in, they'll likely return your call quickly, especially since you are so early in. (They want to make sure there aren't serious problems.)

Then you will get specific guidance about what works for the type of incision your surgeon typically has. Likely, other patients of your surgeon have had the same itch. The nurse will know exactly what cream or ointment to recommend to you based on the surgeon's incision closing technique. Let the surgeon's staff take care of you.

Good luck.

It'll NOT be a pressure sore! You're too active for it to be that.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

I called home health nurse. Who is pretty smart. She told me that it could be yeast, WHAT! There is no rash just under skin discoloration. She told me to use hydrocortisone and see if it stops, then the mica stuff cream for vaginal yeast infections. Said not uncommon. To use good hygiene and not touch anything else. Omg. Then is still not gone call my primary. So that will be Tuesday. Ugh

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1.I had posterior

2. Pain level daytime 0-1; night time, in bed flat on back will go to 3-4, do I get up and go to chair which will then be 0-2

3. I was prescribed Demerol, but have not taken since 24 hours after surgery due to vomiting. So I take 1000 mg extra strength Tylenol every 6-8 hours

4. Icing every time I sit or lay down, which is most the time

5. Elevate on my bed 2-4 times a day for an average of 45 minutes

6. Activity level: I don’t leave my house because I have home health and home PT. I can for Dr otherwise insurance would not pay. So I walk with my walker around the house
5-10 minutes at a time about 3-4 times a day. I spend a total of about 1-2 hours (guesstimate) total throughout the day, cleaning counters, microwaving precooked meals or my oatmeal, picking up stuff with my reacher, making the bed

7. Exercises 4-6 times a day
Heel pumps 10-20 2-3 times a day
Knee tighteners 10-20
Butt tighteners 10-20
Heel slides 10 0-1 time a day
Hip abduction 10
Hip and knee flexion with lift up 10

Pt comes twice per week
She is not pushy. Watches me do above exercise
Watches me walk, told me to put leg more under body instead of out
Adjusted walker and suggested I don't lean on it as much.
She doesn’t make me do anything that hurts, or give me time goals.
She takes vitals and leaves and reports to surgeon

Last edited:
I think I figured it out! This might have been where the adhesive surgical drape was. So I’m just still reacting to that. I watched YouTube video and saw the drape with adhesive is about where that spot is on me! Possible mystery solved. I still itch where several other adhesives were. Well, it’s a possibility I guess

Don't stress dear @Maryluibel .
I'm with Jo...no pressure sore...some screwy reaction soon to go away...or if worsens or doesn't appear to be dissipating...you can check with OS.
We all have our freakouts when we are wondering what the heck is supposed to be going on NOW?
Don't hesitate to ask or whine if necessary.
Oh my stars...what a whiner I were!:dubious:

It's difficult to not get anxious about every new sensation or discomfort we feel but as I'm sure you're realizing most of it is fleeting, here one minute, hour, day and then gone the next. I think as the days progress you'll begin worrying less. You'll realize most everything you've worried about was short lived and never turned into anything serious. The ups and downs of recovery....it's like being on a roller coaster some days.
A peaceful night to you!
@Maryluibel

Well I slept in my bed last night, it was great, but the my op heel began to hurt. Went to the chair. Very little pain.
New worry: redness and itching around incision. Adhesives still on. Am going to call OS. Of course it’s New Years Eve. But what is going on. Looked great until today!

Ok. Doc on call requested photos to be sent to him. Called back and says looks like allergic reaction to steri strips. Told me to take Benadryl. These things are not falling off on their own! I’m hoping soon they will! At least not infection. Thanks for letting me vent. If anyone has allergic reaction steri strip stories, let me know so I know I’m not alone. I’m thinking maybe I should take off myself

Last edited:
redness and itching around incision
Like this?

close up blisters.jpg

Called back and says looks like allergic reaction to steri strips.
There's actually no such thing as Steri-strips are made of hypoallergenic material, more commonly known as Micropore. The issue with them is that they must NOT be applied with tension across the wound. I know it says this because I had this same issue myself.

The skin actually blistered under the strips (see pic above) and those were were almost more painful than the actual scar! So I research it and found that the one thing staff must NOT do when applying Strips is to stick one end down and then pull before sticking the other end down. Because that's what causes the tension blisters! And for what it's worth, you can get the same damage if ordinary Micropore is used!

2. Pain level daytime 0-1; night time, in bed flat on back will go to 3-4, do I get up and go to chair which will then be 0-2
Okay
3. I was prescribed Demerol, but have not taken since 24 hours after surgery due to vomiting. So I take 1000 mg extra strength Tylenol every 6-8 hours
Demerol is pethidine which is an alternative to morphine. We used to use it a lot when I was training, both as premidcation and post-op and I well remember it causing excessive PONV (post-op nausea and vomiting) for which reason it was always given in concert with an anti-emetic (anti-nausea). So I don't blame you for stopping it. And I salute you for using the proper dose of Tylenol!
4. Icing every time I sit or lay down, which is most the time
Good!
5. Elevate on my bed 2-4 times a day for an average of 45 minutes
Good
6. Activity level: I don’t leave my house because I have home health and home PT. I can for Dr otherwise insurance would not pay. So I walk with my walker around the house
5-10 minutes at a time about 3-4 times a day. I spend a total of about 1-2 hours (guesstimate) total throughout the day, cleaning counters, microwaving precooked meals or my oatmeal, picking up stuff with my reacher, making the bed
That's fine

Exercises 4-6 times a day
Heel pumps 10-20 2-3 times a day
Knee tighteners 10-20
Butt tighteners 10-20
Heel slides 10 0-1 time a day
Hip abduction 10
Hip and knee flexion with lift up 10
I take it you never read the paragraph left with your Recovery Guidelines in post #6 of this thread. On the assumptions that you haven't read it, I'll leave it here again

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Pt comes twice per week
She is not pushy. Watches me do above exercise
Though she seems nice, I'd suggest you cancel these because you won't be doing any more exercises - will you?!!

Thank you so much for quick reply. I’m presently on Benadryl so that’s cut the itching. My incision does not look like that. It red all around incision. My son came and looked at it (resident radiology) and said the incision looks hood not red. He also thinks it’s the adhesive in the steri strips. I’m HIGHLY allergic to even the adhesives in bandaides. So until I can talk to my actual doc on the 2nd, I’ll keep an eye on it.

As for exercises, honestly I hardly do them. I guess I feel I’m in pretty good shape for what it’s worth, although for months before surgery I did nothing because of pain. But I’m actually good at my weight and I practice Tai Chi (not now of course) which I think has helped.
As for the redness almost looks like hives. Ugh. I’ll try to upload a photo again

The black mark is a permanent marker. My son suggested I do this to see if it grows. If this is just a reaction, im hoping this will help others who might be petrified they have an infection.

But, I have no pain! It’s been 11 days not counting surgery date! I feel blessed

Attachments

• 53A2ACCC-2EF0-467F-A201-F07B9D50217B.jpeg
    53A2ACCC-2EF0-467F-A201-F07B9D50217B.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin