THR Maryluibel's recovery thread<

Maryluibel,
This is a very stressful time in your life, take care of yourself, sleep, hydrate, nutrition, posting here, and what ever else you do to reduce stress.
You are doing just fine with the whole thread thing. :friends:

No, you're not posting wrong.

Don't be petrified, if you have a sinus infection, it too will pass. Talk to you Primary Care Physician or whoever is on call this weekend.

Please read up on and consider taking a good Probiotic going forward.
Especially given you've suffered recurrent C-Diff. If you're prone to infections it could benefit you since 70% of our immune system lies within our intestinal tract. Please look into it if you're not already taking one.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/probiotics.20811/

Oh thank you. Yes I have taken probiotics. My last round of antibiotics was the first in 6 years since cdiff and I took the probiotics. I guess I’m petrified that this most possible sinus infection will go to my new hip or I’ll get cdiff again. I’m such a mess. I’m sorry. Honestly I’m not all negative: I have a great family helping me, my medical care is excellent, and I’m grateful I made it to the other side. But I do have some anxiety when it comes to infections because of my history. I know you all aren’t doctors or allowed to give medical advice. I’d just love to hear if anyone else got a sinus infection less than a week after surgery. Thank you for being there

I am certain that the aspirin nauseated me as well (because I was on nothing but aspirin by day 11 or so, and I felt like junk after taking it for about 5 or more hours). In my case, I started to tolerate the aspirin eventually. And then I was allowed to discontinue it after three weeks. I am a small woman, so that may be why everything hits me harder. Or maybe I have a sensitive stomach. But yes, difficulty with aspirin is incredibly common. But make sure you continue to take it for however long your doctor says, as it’s your first line of defense against blood clots. At least we don’t have to give ourselves daily injections (some people on this forum do)!

I'm two weeks out from my RTHR. Like others have said once that first week is behind you things will improve. Amazingly it seems like each day holds a new surprise...things like realizing the surgical site is uncomfortable but that awful pre-surgery pain is gone. Or perhaps the new hip leg has gotten easier to lift a little.

I suffered a UTI and today is the last day on antibiotics. Nothing spread to my new hip even though the thought, to be honest, crossed my mind. I hope you get to that place where you notice regular improvements each day real soon. That will help you let go of some of the anxiety you're experiencing. In addition know that you have support on this forum. I found that people here pick up on a small comment and offer wonderful advice.

Sending positive thoughts your way......

I guess I’m petrified that this most possible sinus infection
Please don't worry. Your new hip is safe and you are on antibiotics for your sinus infection anyway. There is a whole section in the Library if you want to read the scientific articles.

Oh my gosh! You have no idea how much this means to me that you shared that. Thank you all!

Mariluibel---don't worry too much about the thread---If you get it incorrect, the admins will gently remind you, and will help you get it right----speaking from experience here!

People in this forum are very patient---they understand all of the anxiety that comes with this procedure, and while each person has not personally experienced every since symptom, complication, or fear, you can be sure that some of them have. The admins are great at connecting you with someone on the forum who might be able to offer more specific advice if they know of someone.

I think what is especially confusing when you have your first hip replacement like I did, is that everything feels weird and/or painful, and it's hard to know what to panic over, what to ignore, what to cautiously watch. The people on the Forum are a good sounding board.

Also remember, if in doubt, rather than make yourself crazy, call your doctor. They work for you---do not let your worry about bothering them override your need for medical advice. (Aren't I full of advice about advice----haha! ) I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Awe thank you.

So on post op day 4, yesterday, the pain got worse. I noticed that my leg was swollen, like everyone talks about (didn’t really notice before). Has this happened to anyone else several days later? The pain is manageable, will be taking extra strength Tylenol. I will call doc the day after Christmas. Merry Christmas Eve everyone

I have learned a great tip that has worked for me. I will just get weak and tired sometimes suddenly. So I drink a concoction of half water, the rest equal parts orange juice, pedialyte, and 7 up. Works for me

Last edited:
Ok. Post op day 5. Merry Christmas Eve everyone. My new worry: I’m on lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) and aspirin therapy. Apparently this is hard on kidneys and my bp is just not where I want it. I will be calling my doc on the 26th. Anyone else have this issue?

@Maryluibel Is it too high or too low? It is not unusual to have fluctuations in BP post op. Pain and anxiety can impact your BP. Call your family doctor if you are still worried on the 26th.

I hope you can enjoy your Christmas!

Merry Christmas and thank you for being there on this holiday! It’s running a little high. I can pull some high numbers but was very controlled before. It’s running 140’s/80’s to 150’s/90s. The home health nurse cane 2 days ago and thought a little high. I wasn’t worried because I hD just started my lisinopril. But it’s still running high so I researched and apparently aspirin therapy reduces its effect. Anyway I feel so self involved!! On Christmas Eve! Not right. You all have a Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Holiday!

@Maryluibel Please don't worry - you are only 5 days out of major surgery. It's probably not a good idea to keep taking your BP and causing yourself anxiety. Relax, ice and elevate and if the trend continues call your doc. You are going to be fine! Merry Christmas!

This surgery and it's subsequent recovery can make one very anxious.
Hey, I never had hips replaced before either.:umm:
All temporary...just roll with it as best you can...things will continue to get better and better!
Hope you have a Merry Christmas.
:gbh:

That first shower, doesn’t it feel great!

I hope Christmas Day has been good for you.

Nosebleeds? Had one. Only been on aspirin therapy for 1 week. Sure it might be normal?

I think you should check with your doctor as your blood pressure has been running high and you are on aspirin.
Fluctuations in BP are not rare on forum, but I think you should inform your GP.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back