BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Maryluibel's recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Maryluibel, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

United States United States
    Hello I’m new here. Just got right THR on December 19. I’m 59 and although grateful it’s over, I find myself petrified at each thing. For instance my hemoglobin dropped to 7.8 after surgery. I thought, omg, transfusion! But no they just go by symptoms.

I’m just weak and sure that’s normal. I threw up for the first 24 hours. I will never be an opiate addict. This was even on anti-nausea meds. Told the nurse no more pain pills. Was better after that. I take Tylenol now I’m at home. I know low grade fever is normal, but my 99.8 just freaked me out. I’m using my breathing thing so much for fear of pneumonia. I’m such a catastrophic thinker!! Ugh. Any words of calming are welcome

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Hopefully in time the pain and worry after surgery will all resolve itself. Thr already is paving the way for a pain free life and better mobility. It takes time and care take it one day at a time . The first few weeks are the toughest. Many angles sent to travel along side you on your healing journey. Beat wishes .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Thank you so much for your reply. Means a lot.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Pip3r

Pip3r junior member

Canada Canada
    Hi @Maryluibel. Congratulations on your new hip! I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough time with the pain medication. I cannot imagine myself being able to manage with only Tylenol, especially in the first few weeks post op. I hope it controls your pain without the awful side effects you had from the opioids. I understand your stress as hip replacement is a major operation and has a huge impact both physically and emotionally. Please read some of the stories of others who have been on your journey. Hopefully you will find some very useful and supportive information. We have all been there, some of us more than once! Welcome to the club!
    :wave::welome:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Thank you! It’s nice, I don’t feel alone here

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Maryluibel ,
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
    Sorry to hear the first few days were so rough, low grade fevers are common after surgery. Glad to hear Tylenol is helping you now that you are at home.
    There is someone here 24/7 to talk to and share your recovery story.

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
    Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi,
    Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us! Stop by often, you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here.

Try not to worry because as you're realizing nothing you've experienced so far is life threatening
    or that abnormal. People can run a low-grade fever in the early days. Others have negative reactions to medications. How long are you to use the spirometer? How often did they tell you to use it? Please do as they advise and no more.

If you have concerns, or need advice, we'll try to help or refer you to the forum Nurse for the medical questions only she can advise on.

You can do this, just relax and take it slow. You'll be surprised at the progress you make from week to week.
    Wishing you a peaceful night and Sunday.
    @Maryluibel

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Awe that’s sweet. I’m using the spirometer. I also can’t take the opiate pain meds so I’m just taking Tylenol. So far this has helped. Thanks for the support. Still trying to learn to navigate this website.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Layla

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Thank you. I accidentally touched the “agree” icon

11. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Congratulations on making it to the other side!!
    I also had a horrible time with opioids, so I feel for you. In my case, I was taking oxycodone (a low dosage), and after about six days, I got very, very sick. It felt like a crazy flu, and I almost passed out. After my husband got me back to bed, we called the nurse, who was certain it was the oxycodone. So, I got off it entirely and felt better within a few hours. My mental state also improved. Unfortunately, I was still in a great deal of hip pain, and Tylenol was not cutting it. My doc prescribed Traumadol, but that scared me too (it's a lower-strength opioid), so I sucked it up with nothing but ice and a little bit of Aleve (my doc allowed a small amount of Aleve, but definitely ask your doc about this before starting it), and got over the hump in a few days. It seemed like days 3-5 were the worst, and then things got a lot better around day 9 or 10. Now I'm six weeks out and doing quite well.

I'm no expert, but I learned that ice is extremely helpful!! Ice, ice, ice, elevate, elevate, elevate!!

It will get better!! If you're doing okay without opioids this soon after your operation, then you're actually doing pretty amazingly. Many people on this forum needed major meds weeks and months longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  12. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @Maryluibel
    It's still very early days for you but after the first week you should notice that things improve. From about week 2 onwards I found small improvements almost daily. That's not to say that things will go entirely smoothly from then on. I'm sure like most of,us you will get the odd twinges, zips and zaps.
    From reading this forum you will know that they are normal. Patience is the name of the game with, what is after all, major surgery. If you feel tired, rest and give your body time to heal.
    Hoping you have a good Christmas

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:new hippy!
    Many of us did not get a lot of information on what to expect after THR...which is what made this site so helpful to me...and kept me from calling my OS ten times per day.:unsure:
    I know I was extremely nauseated right after surgery...but once all that anaesthesia wore off...could tolerate pain meds as long as I didn't take on empty stomach.
    If you are doing okay on just Tylenol..that is splendid, but some needed pain meds and anti-nausea to stay comfortable.
    Try not to be too anxious.
    This new hip is going to give you your life back!:egypdance:
    Just roll with all this temporary recovery business right now...all will be getting better and better.
    Any concerns, ask away...I had lots of folks to reassure me on my recovery journey.
    Hope today is a good day:yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Thank you all sooooo much. Love this site! Sometimes I wake up and can’t believe I have a new hip. Thank you for the encouragement. My PT comes today at my house. Had a hard night because just could not get comfortable. But then I had MANY of those before hip replacement. It’s going to be good. Made my own coffee and oatmeal this morning and I get to just sit and watch tv and it’s OKAY!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Also I’m thinking the aspirin is already bothering my stomach. I’m going to try to take the Pepsid a little before the aspirin instead of the same time. I’ll read through the posts to see if others experienced this

16. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Maryluibel Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery! Many people have a problem with aspirin. I think you have a good idea to try and take the 2 drugs separately. Or you might want to call your family doctor and see what they suggest.

Be sure and take any medication with something in your stomach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Yay for making your own breakfast. It's funny how those simple things feel like such an accomplishment,
    but they do initially and it's great! I hope you have a good PT session. Please don't push through anything that hurts. If it hurts. STOP.
    Enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:
    @Maryluibel

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

I think I have a sinus infection and now am petrified! I had one in October and this postponed my surgery. I also have a history of recurrent cdiff ((2012 for 1 year, had fecal transplant, no problems since) I was put on doxycycline and it worked. But I woke up with the worst headache and discolored mucus. I have a call into the nurse. I’m assuming we have to get on it. Wondering how common this is

19. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Thank you all for your kind replies

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

If I’m doing this whole thread thing wrong I’m sorry.

• Friendly Friendly x 1