Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

Things didn't 'move along' for me until I was out of hospital. Strong coffee and oranges seemed to help...
Also, tell yourself ' this too shall pass'!!
 
I start getting anxious when I read that knee cap pain is a chronic condition experience by one-in-ten TKR surgeries.
Wherever did you read this priceless bit of tosh? Never heard of such a thing!
 
Hi Txmomgmom3
sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time of it all. In some ways, my first week was the easiest. Problems started in week 2 with the accidental misuse of hydromorphone. If I were to do anything differently, it would be to avoid or minimize the use of narcotics if possible. I know this is not easy for some. I hope that things are improving for you.
 
Through my own personal experience 2x now, pain can pop up suddenly anywhere, stay a bit, or linger for awhile. Lots of stuff going on in there between all the nerves, muscles, tendons, muscles... they’re confused because they were shuffled around and put back. They’re trying to find their place in their new home which has been torn apart. Yah, I’m frustrated, it’s no fun. This to shall pass with time only.
 
going on five days without nausea. I think that this finally behind me. For whatever reason, my leg was more swollen than usual and while the pain was not bad, it was more than the past week. Mostly it's the stiffness that gets yo me. I may have overdone it with my exercises yesterday and today. I will give it more rest tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am living up to my typical sleep pattern... tired but not able to sleep till 6 a.m. I've taken up knitting and typing rants to pass the time. Wishing all a good night.
 
I may have overdone it with my exercises yesterday and today. I will give it more rest tomorrow.
I think you hit it on the head. You are seeing cause and effect. You overdo a little then the knee lets you know about it. Ice and elevate as much as you can as long as your knee is fussy. She should calm back down.
 
starting my 9th week and a bit discouraged. Tried to increase my walking distance a little bit. It turned out not to be such a good idea. Took me almost half an hour for what is normally a 5 - 10 min walk.... not even 1/4 km. I also can't sit for more than 15 min without getting really stiff. I'm due to go back to work soon and don't feel ready. My work involves sitting for long periods of time (an hour at a time) for six to seven hours a day. My ROM is about 110 on a good day and I'm having to reduce my excercise after overdoing it a few days ago. Still not sleeping well and very tired all the time. A two hour outing does me in for the rest of the day. Sigh!
 
I have a question. My surgeon saw me at 5 weeks post-op. He says everything looks good and doesn't need to see me again for five years. I was surprised that it wasn't six months or a year. Is this common practice?
 
I would have loved my surgeon to tell me that! I think I had way too many check ups, but that does sound soon to say 5 years! I’m sure you could always call him if you felt the need. It’s nice to know he’s not going to be pressuring you about your recovery! (I felt very pressured)

Everything you wrote in your previous post sounds about right for this recovery. You can’t rush it.
 
If and when you have to back to work, can you periodically walk about? Can you elevate and use ice at work?
I went back to work at 8 week. Elevate by using a stability ball, and icing my knee. Walked / stretched at every opportunity. Is there options for you to work from home?
 
I'm due to go back to work soon and don't feel ready. My work involves sitting for long periods of time (an hour at a time) for six to seven hours a day. My ROM is about 110 on a good day and I'm having to reduce my exercise after overdoing it a few days ago. Still not sleeping well and very tired all the time.
IF you don't feel ready to go back to work, you probably aren't. Can you ask your surgeon for certification that you need longer?

We usually recommend taking at least 12 weeks off and then doing a Phased return to work

People sometimes think that going back to a desk job will be easier, but it's still hard on your knee. Long periods of sitting will make it stiff, so be sure to get up and walk around every hour or so.
 
If and when you have to back to work, can you periodically walk about? Can you elevate and use ice at work?
I went back to work at 8 week. Elevate by using a stability ball, and icing my knee. Walked / stretched at every opportunity. Is there options for you to work from home?
working from home but one-on-one consultations with clients, either on the phone or webcam. So no, can't interrupt clients' consult. certainly between appointments but that's maybe 5 min at the end of each session. Return to work is not optional.
 
Also, no longer seeing my surgeon. Follow up not need for five years and my GP is dealing with any non-surgical issues. So unless there is a complication with the knee itself, he will refer me back to my GP.
 
I would have loved my surgeon to tell me that! I think I had way too many check ups, but that does sound soon to say 5 years! I’m sure you could always call him if you felt the need. It’s nice to know he’s not going to be pressuring you about your recovery! (I felt very pressured)

Everything you wrote in your previous post sounds about right for this recovery. You can’t rush it.
Glad that he is so confident but I feel like he did the surgery and then dropped me. I know I can call hoom if there is a specific problem with the knee but anytime I call, his staff refers me back to my GP.
 
It is tough going back to work. Hopefully you can get your leave extended. Twelve weeks or longer would be good for you based on what you said. I work from home and couldn’t done it otherwise. Wish you well.
 
if it was me @Marguette I’d also be weary. Maybe it’s common practice in Canada, but in my experience here, I don’t understand how a five year follow up from the OS after a recent knee replacement is an acceptable timeframe. Sounds crazy to me. If you need more time for recovery, which I’m sure you do because it’s such an invasive, brutal surgery, then get to your GP ASAP and get more time off from work to recover. That’s just crazy to be expected back at work soooo soon. Good luck, I understand you.
 
Glad that he is so confident but I feel like he did the surgery and then dropped me. I know I can call hoom if there is a specific problem with the knee but anytime I call, his staff refers me back to my GP.

That is the most interesting aspect of this website is reading difference in OS office practices. Especially country from country. I saw my OS at 1 and 2 month postoperative, was doing so well, wanted to see me again at 1 year followup.Orthopedic issues are followed up by the OS. Medical issue are handled by my pcp. The two doctor have no association.
Very disappointing to have follow up in five years. Anything can happen.
 
I had a 2 week follow up from OS, then 2 weeks after that, my next follow up is 3 months from surgery, then a six month and then a year. That’s how my OS requested them. Haven’t gotten to the year for my first one yet so I’m not sure after that. My PCP just checks my regular normal blood work, blood pressure, etc, he’s not an Orthopedic Surgeon, that’s not his specialty or purpose. I see him for yearly overall health checkups or if I’m sick, etc.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom