TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

:console2:Sometimes we just can’t win in this recovery. It can be a very fine line between keeping the knee happy and upsetting it, and the knee usually doesn’t care if it upsets us.

Sometimes it flares up just because it can and we don’t figure out why.

It’s not a straight line improving recovery, it’s more like a rollercoaster, and emotions fluctuate a lot also.
 
went to the pool tonight but didn't do any exercises
Walking around in a pool is exercise. The water adds resistance which is just like using weights. Also, a hot tub can cause swelling. I bet you moved your leg around in there, too. That's more exercise! You see, things you do makes your knee react if it isn't ready for it. I think you need to give it more time before doing the pool again.

The only thing I did differently today was to use urban poles instead of cane and consciously paid attention to my stride and walk heal to toe.
This made you walk differently and your knee is telling you that you have been using muscles that it's not used to using. You are doing the right thing by icing and elevating. Make sure you're icing at least 40 minutes at a time. I iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down for at least 3-4 months.
 
Didn't move in the hot tub... just relaxed and I have found that, for me at ĺeast, it hasn't increase swelling. if it did, I wouldn't go in. But you make a good point about water resistance. I feel like I have to teach myself how to walk properly. I have been limping for such a long time. Definately, using different muscles. It didn't bother me at the time and I only walked for five minutes so I really didn't think it was too much. It felt moreike I had lost strength through lack of use over the past couple of days. I felt like my leg was going to buckle.
 
That feeling of your leg possibly buckling is what you feel when your leg is fatigued. It's definitely not a time to exercise or do too much activity. You should have done one or the other in a single day - walking or pool. Not both. Don't worry....sometimes it takes time to figure out the right balance of exercise and resting/icing. You'll get there. But you must be gradual when increasing activity of any kind.
 
It can take a month or two to get walking back up to speed, meaning a new normal gait and stronger leg muscles. As you walk your body will re-train its reflexes and balance. When I paid close attention I could tell what was happening and it was kind of interesting. At first, if I looked to the side while walking, or back over my shoulder, I would wobble or misstep. I was glad for the cane. I also had to regain strength and confidence for stepping off curbs in stride or going up steps. It all comes together but it does take walking regularly for a while before the brain gets it all back in good order.
 
Another difficult day physically and emotionally. Had a physio session booked so I went but my PT was very supportive and limited to gentle motion and massage. No pool or walking beyond today's necessary outings. Good evening for relaxing. Has anyone heard of an omeopatic product called Arnica for pain relief?
 
I think you mean homeopathic - and Arnica is used quite commonly, often for pain and swelling. It's particularly good for bruises.
You shouldn't use it if you are taking blood thinners or NSAIDS, as it has a slight anticoagulant effect.
 
Today was much better. Saw my GP and she is supporting extending my sick leave for 3 week, for a total of 12 and possibly more. Test results came back negative which means nothing serious causing the nausea. Both my GP and I are coming to the conclusion that I had a physiolovical stress reaction to the surgery. Went for a short walk in the nature preservation area. It was so nice!
 
Surgery really stresses the body and it can express itself in so many ways! An abdominal surgery literally gave me diabetes post-op (went away after a few months). And my BTKR surgery gave me hives! Again, that resolved all by itself. But still... don’t we have enough problems without the extra surprise bonuses?

How wonderful that you have a lovely nature preservation area nearby! Walks are so rewarding.
 
This roller coaster ride is for the birds! such a good day yesterday and today is a bust. No energy... my leg feels like it's on fire... up two hours and can barely stay awake but I can't sleep either. At nine weeks, I can only walk a short block and can't do a rotation on a bike. I know it doesn't help to compare to others but when you read of the activities being done after a few weeks, it makes me wonder what I am doing wrong. ROM has gone from 106 at 6 weeks to 95 or less at 9 weeks and seems to have plateau. Objectively, healing seems to be progressing well. I have been able to sleep better, as much as 5 hrs per night, for the last 2 night. The swelling is moderate and very little pain during the day most of the time. I sure hope that things start to feel better soon. I don't like the impact on my mood. I wish I could just go to sleep and skip today.
 
You sound just like me. Some days definitely are better than others. And often I wonder why I was given these crappy knees. I can’t yet say I was glad I had these TKR’s done. It’s depressing not to be able to do most things except limp around like Hasimoto most of the time. It’s a never ending nightmare I want over. My swelling and pain are still there, always, so I can’t put them in the back of mind yet. Life sucks right now but hopefully it’ll get better for both of us soon. Can’t wait. :sigh::bored:
 
misery loves company...lol. I hear you, Needhope. At this point my quality of life is worse than pre-surgery. Had I known that I wouldn't be able to get in and out of the bath, I probably would not have done the surgery. I suffer from fibromyalgia but was doing well managing my symptoms pre-surgery The bath is a big part of my self-care plan.. I'm beginning to think that the surgery triggered things again which would explain a lot apart from the impact of surgery. It all runs in together and it really doesn't matter what the cause is at this point. Most people seem to indicate that life does get better and that it can take a year or more. Maybe I'm still holding onto the false belief that like would be close to normal after 12 weeks. At nine weeks, it certainly doesn't feel like it. So here is my motto.... acceptance: it is what it is; commotment: commit to small goals including the belief that it will improve. Do your best: sometimes your best is just making a decision to treat yourself with compassion and patience. I hope your days will be filled with sunshine.
 
A good night's sleep can really help.
You will feel better, your knee will bend, you will be glad you had the op - just not quite yet but one day!
 
Is it normal to still have bruising 9 weeks post-op. I have this one bruise half way between my ankle and knee that does not seem to be healing.
 
The day started off gloomy but gradually improved. Overall a good day. Because they are few and far apart, it does my heart good to acknowled them and be thankful.
 
'm beginning to think that the surgery triggered things again which would explain a lot apart from the impact of surgery.

@Marquette I have fibromyalgia too, and have had it completely under control for several years. All of that seemed to go out the window after the surgery. I feel like it has flared up again some days. However, it is the cards I have been dealt with. I am doing pretty well with it at 8 months out, but I feel pretty tired and achy many days, not necessarily in the knees. But sometimes I wonder if the aches I do have in the muscles and tendons of the knees are partially due to the fibromyalgia. I can say, however, that I am very glad to have done the surgery, because prior to the surgery I was very crippled, on a walker and housebound for the most part. Today I am able to walk, drive, shop, be with my grandkids, and much more. Stairs are still difficult, but overall I feel very positive. Please give it some more time. When I was at your stage of recovery I still couldn't even let the sheet touch my knees at night, that's how sensitive I was. It really does get better. Hang in there.
 
@mlwreader Thank you for your comments. I was still living a pretty active life prior to the surgery. I had learn to compensate for the pain by avoiding some activities, by planning carefully and using aid and meds where possible. I've had a long history of insomnia related to FMS but that was beginning to improve. I really questioned if I should do the surgery. In the end, I opted for it because of the lack of stability in my knee. That, I'm glad to say, is no longer a concern. There have been some gains. I just hope I can get FMS back under control. It would go a long way if I could take a bath and could get a decent night's sleep. Thank you for your encouragement.
 
Two new milestone... At 9+ weeks, I was able to remove the transfer bench and step up over the edge of the bath to take a stand up shower. I also got a decent seven hours of sleep. Yeah!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom