TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

How wonderful to have a happy stomach!
 
I had many surgeries and it took me awhile to figure out OxyContin was the culprit to my violent episodes of nausea followed by non stop vomiting, sweating, it made me feel like I was at deaths door. Since then, any surgeries I have I have them label OxyContin as an allergy, even though I don’t think you can be allergic to it but I never want to relive that experience again. I am sensitive to anesthesia however and mention that when I know I’ll be put under. The last two times they put a patch behind my ear containing medication that relieved my nausea after anesthesia and pain medication treatment while in the hospital. Just thought I’d share that tidbit of information that helped me.
 
Well I guess it was too good to be true. Thankful for three days without getting sick but here we go again. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. I suppose a three day repreave means things are going in the right direction, I hope. In the mean time, my left knee is giving out making walking very difficult. I feel like things are going backwards. Deep Breath!
 
Are you able to eat a lot of protein. That takes longer to digest and should help your nausea. Many of our old knees acted up the first few months after the tkr. It was taking on almost all the work. After your right knee is able to carry more of your load, the left one should start to feel better.
 
Yes, eating lots of protein. Eggs are my go to food a lot of the time. I seem to be able to eat almost anything I want if I time it right . I think you ma be right about my left knee. I also wonder if it's acting up because I am relying too much on my cane. I going to try and walk unassisted a bit to see if it changes my gait for the better. Here is hoping. I'm really not ready to do this again.
 
I think that as long as you feel you need the cane, you should keep on using it. There aren't any prizes for giving it up early and it's better to use it than to risk a fall.
It's only about a month and a half since you had this major surgery and it will take a full year for complete recovery - although you will feel much better long before that.
 
I had many surgeries and it took me awhile to figure out OxyContin was the culprit to my violent episodes of nausea followed by non stop vomiting, sweating, it made me feel like I was at deaths door. Since then, any surgeries I have I have them label OxyContin as an allergy, even though I don’t think you can be allergic to it but I never want to relive that experience again. I am sensitive to anesthesia however and mention that when I know I’ll be put under. The last two times they put a patch behind my ear containing medication that relieved my nausea after anesthesia and pain medication treatment while in the hospital. Just thought I’d share that tidbit of information that helped me.
I have the same issue with that medication and thankfully with my other op only three weeks away they will remember and I will remind them.
 
I was also violently sick when on Oxycodone/oxycontin/tramodol and just took paracetamol when discharged home.
Just a suggestion for you, how about trying ginger? It's effective for sea sickness. Just nibble some or try ginger capsules. Good luck.
 
@Marguette I had a RTKR in January and also have problems with my other knee, that also needs replacing. My unoperated knee is really painful since my TKR, to be expected really i suppose. My consultant said last week to really concentrate on walking, make sure you are placing equal weight on both legs and take even strides. It's hard trying to focus on walking when this is something you do without thinking normally ! I've had to slow down to concentrate more and find things are slowly improving for both knees now. It's also hard to take normal strides as your instinct is to take smaller steps as it hurts less ! It's frustrating !
 
@hopalong61. Snap. It's so hard trying to concentrate on walking 'properly' that I end up walking in a most peculiar way or at least it feels like it! It seems so much easier to take small steps. My OS for my forthcoming LTKR told me to keep active and keep moving but it hurts! I worry when my hips start to hurt too. I don't foresee me being 'out of the limited mobility woods' any time soon.
 
@Spex10 My left hip hurts some days due to me not focusing on walking properly, when it does, it reminds me to concentrate more !
 
I feel as though things are going backwards. aside from the afore mentioned problem of ongoing nausea, I have now developed pain in my knee cap, seven weeks post open. I hope this is temporary. Otherwise, I have just traded on pain for another. Not happy but keeping in mind that it early in my recovery and this too will improve as my knee heals. Has anyone else had experience with knee cap pain? Did it get better?
 
Marguette, it's not unusual to feel that you're going backwards for a while. Recovery isn't a linear progression, but a series of two steps forward, one step back, or a bit like a roller coaster.

It may be that you've been doing a little bit too much for your new knee. You could try easing off your activity and exercises for a while, and see if that helps.

I'm also going to ask @Josephine to advise you.
 
Hi Celle,thanks for your feedback. Yes, I have eased up on exercises to give the knee a chance to calm down. These days, I find it most beneficial to go to our local swimming pool instead of my home exercise program. It takes a lot of the stress off and the water feels sooo good. I'm hoping this is a minor and temporary set back but I start getting anxious when I read that knee cap pain is a chronic condition experience by one-in-ten TKR surgeries.
 
Kneecap pain often resolves as the muscles strapping the knee get stronger and provide more support. Your pool exercises should help (if not so vigorous they aggravate the knee) and so should regular walking. This recovery generally has all kinds of ups and downs. :shrug:
 
I found that swimming early in my recovery caused a lot of pain afterwards. The water has a lot of resistance, so it's just like using weights. Your knee is way too young to use weights!
 
Oh I didn’t take any narcotics as I get so sick on them... it’s a horrible feeling I know!!
I just used Tylenol and all went well I’m 10 weeks and have also stopped the Tylenol!
Things are good and I sure hope you heal quickly!
 
Hi Marguette. You are still early enough in recovery that there will be lots of aches and pains from all different places. I would not worry about it and get yourself all stressed about a poor recovery. At this point your activity should not be too aggressive - walking is great therapy as is the stationary bike (no resistance and only for a few minutes to get a stretch) if you are able to make a revolution (many cannot yet at your stage of recovery). I hope the nausea will sort itself out soon. As you are able to wean from the stronger meds, hopefully it will improve the nausea. Hang in there. This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.
 
I'm 3 days out from my LTKR and am still in the hospital due to the nausea, vomiting, pain, low potassium and lack of things moving along if you know what I mean. The nausea is the worst!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom