TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

I saw my OS at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and one year. At the one year appointment he told me he would see me again in 4 years... a 5 year checkup. I can’t imagine going from a 5 week checkup to a 5 year one. I hope your OS told you to call or come in if you have a problem!
 
My surgeon saw me at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 18 weeks, 7 months and one year.

At my one year check up I had questions he couldn’t answer, so he told me to come back in October, which would be 1 year and 7 months.
 
true but if I have concerns I can insist on seeing him and I will probably have to go back for left knee anyways. I can be pretty persuasive if need be.
 
Follow up? What's follow up? Once discharged over here that's it. If there was a problem it's back to GP and start of a new 'episode of care'.
 
Follow up? What's follow up? Once discharged over here that's it. If there was a problem it's back to GP and start of a new 'episode of care'.
Few.... I thought I was alone on this one. I can't decide if lack of follow-up is an OS that is confident that things will improve or if he just can't be bothered. I'm in Ontario Canada. Where are you located? Interesting how there is such a big difference in standard of care.
 
Follow up? What's follow up? Once discharged over here that's it. If there was a problem it's back to GP and start of a new 'episode of care'.

I think what drives the difference, is the payment system. If a new problem starts an episode of care, referral to specialist. Very interesting to read all the differences in insurances, and how it effects care.
 
I'm in UK. NHS is wonderful. No tests for the sake of them or unnecessary appointments to bump up charges.
 
In the mean time, my left knee is giving out making walking very difficult. I feel like things are going backwards. Deep Breath!
. I’m having the same issue with my non-operated on knee. It’s awful! It actually hurts worse than my operated on knee.
 
I’m having the same issue with my non-operated on knee. It’s awful! It actually hurts worse than my operated on knee.
DebCoz, I know. It's frustrating. My left knee (non-operated) was giving me occasional trouble before but not like now. People here have been very encouraging. Many indicate the same problem but indicate that things settle down once the operated knee improves. I guess the whole body is realigning. I sure hope I don't end up having to get my left knee done. I don't want to go through this again. How long ago did you get your surgery done? How are you doing overall. I'm in week nine.
 
I'm in my 9th week post surgery. I have stopped doing the daily exercise and instead, spend 20 - 30 min in the pool doing lunges, squats and just walking in the water. It's a lot easier than on land. The last time I saw my PT, she suggested I start walking with urban poles. She said it would help my stride and straighten my core. Has anyone else heard of this?
 
What are “urban poles”? I walk daily unassisted, do Pilates type exercises to strengthen the core.
 
Be careful with those lunges and squats. They may be easier to do in water, but they are still movements that stress the new knee. Better in water than on land, but do beware of doing too much.

The last time I saw my PT, she suggested I start walking with urban poles. She said it would help my stride and straighten my core. Has anyone else heard of this?

Yep. Not specifically about urban poles, but I have heard of them and they would do nicely. My OS, and lots of other people giving advice about rehabilitating TKRs, believe walking is the best overall way to exercise knees. Walking is what knees are designed to do, after all. And walking is what our upright bodies are built to do. Humans are wonderful walkers. So walking.

Urban poles give you support while navigating uneven ground like sidewalks (at least in my neighborhood), curbs, or over lawns or trails. Support is important during early healing. Lots of people love these poles for recreation also. While using them you can focus on a good stride. A good stride works all the leg muscles needed for walking. A proper stride also works your core. Over time your abdomen will get tighter, your back stronger, your glutes firmer, and your hips will work more smoothly. Walking is a great all-body exercise.
 
What are “urban poles”? I walk daily unassisted, do Pilates type exercises to strengthen the core.

You can Google them to get a better idea than my description would be. :wink: They look like ski poles to me. A bit. Many people like them better than canes for exercise-type walking. I've looked into them, but am happy just walking without aids, so I haven't checked them out in person. But several members have written about loving them.
 
My PT suggested Urban Poles 300 series for fitness, specially designed for rehab. you can research and access training video at urbanpoling.com Have fun!
 
just went for my first walk with urban poles instead of my cane. What a difference! I kept it short... 5 minutes. I found I was taking longer strides at a more normal pace. It eliminated the limp and using my upper body to absorb the stress made it easier on my hip and knees and acted as a bit of a cardio, which I have never done before. I think I can get used to this.
 
Sounds very interesting, googled it as well.
 
I think urban poles = hiking poles.
urban pole is a specific brand designed by a PT to be ergonomically designed for optimum benefits especially in rehab. Broader heading also under Nordic walking.
 
They're all the same thing. Just different brands and probably different names, depending on where in the world you live.

Whether you call them urban poles, hiking poles or Nordic walking poles, the principle is the same - long sticks and you use two simultaneously.
[Bonesmart.org] Marguette’s Full Recovery


Similarly, in the US you might refer to a cane, but in the UK , NZ and Australia, that would be a walking stick.
[Bonesmart.org] Marguette’s Full Recovery

It's just a difference in terminology.
 
Knee and leg not happy tonight. I've been resting, icing and elevating for the past two days. The only thing I did differently today was to use urban poles instead of cane and consciously paid attention to my stride and walk heel to toe. went to the pool tonight but didn't do any exercises. Just walk around for a bit and then went to the hot tub. Came home.e and immediately iced and elevated. Sigh! feeling very vulnerable and emotional.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom