March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard from Shoesister ?
 
My surgery has been scheduled for 18th March.I have been having hip problems for over 2 years but as the X-rays showed minimal deterioration and the MRI diagnosed a labral tear I had an arthroscopy in July 2012 which was ineffective as the surgeon found a lot of arthritis including areas of bare bone. The latest X-ray shows no cartilage left so the only option is hip replacement.At 56 I am young to have the surgery but I just want my life back and be able to walk pain free again especially as hiking was our passion. Would like to hear from others in a similar position so I am delighted to join the March Musketeers !

Hi Kim,
Robert AKA Overly Hackled here.
Well we are getting very close to our launch date of the 18th. I've cleared all the pre op hurdles and med cks. Have my walker ans have been using it for a week now,the hip is just too shot out for the cane now. Did a little custom work on it .mounted a small squeeze horn and a basket. Want to make certain they hear me coming down the hall at the rehab unit as I fly down the hall at break neck speed. :) The pre op folks issued me a lovely pair of thigh Truform high white compression stockings.The are to help post op with preventing the dreaded blood clot threat. Been keeping up the exercises o the extent possible. Had some trouble with the number of reps on abduction and adduction trying to get to 30. Slowed it down for a few days and then was able to work back up to 30.
Have one more thing to clear that I set up myself with my dentist. Wouldn't you know one of my molars would start to signal just a small bit of irritation a week out from go day. So I'm going to see him on Thurs. just to make certain all is OK. Have to make certain it's not on the way to becoming a problem.

Let me know how your doing and if all is on course for the 18th.
All the best,
Robert
 
In Poppet's absence I have brought the list forward..

Welcome to our latest and all March Musketeers :)​


Feel free to post in this thread and I will add you to my list, however please start up a thread of your own in the Pre Op Hip Section and share with us your journey towards a hip replacement :)

1 Mar 13 @bellaroma and @smrt2run
4 mar 13 @shoesister and @ByGosh
5 Mar 13 @jojouk1983 and @octopus
6 Mar 13 @ukisgr8
7 Mar 13 @mrpounds
11 Mar 13 @Duffer71
12 Mar 13 @walkagainV
16 Mar 13 @Littlejem
18 Mar 13 @Kim22 @Xanthe @liberatedhip and @Overly Hackled
19 Mar 13 @Teacat
21 Mar 13 @Kazoo
25 Mar 13 @susanlanc @stevethedream @anniemg and @rockymountainjayne
26 Mar 13
28 Mar 13 @Helen44 and @BionicWoman2

bottomshollow​
 
Overly Hackled Thanks for your post.Sounds like you are getting well prepared for Monday. I hope your dentist sorts out your molar today. It's typical that it should start to twinge this week. Just like my cold but that is slowly getting better and I have been checked out for secondary infections this week and I am in the clear.I have been told that my hospital no longer advise the stockings instead I have to self administer Clexane shots daily for 4 whole weeks.Like you I am continuing with the exercises but I won't be issued with any walking aid until after the surgery The physios sort out all that in the hospital and at the moment I am not using any aid.I have been practising with the sock aid and using the grabber for dressing I think I need more practice with those My home is full of the equipment which was delivered on Tuesday.
I am positive that we have made the right decision to have this surgery and because I have been worrying about the possibility of my cold delaying it I haven't been worrying about the surgery yet ! So roll on Monday and I look forward to reading about your adventures flying down the Rehab Hall .
 
Overly Hackled Thanks for your post.Sounds like you are getting well prepared for Monday. I hope your dentist sorts out your molar today. It's typical that it should start to twinge this week. Just like my cold but that is slowly getting better and I have been checked out for secondary infections this week and I am in the clear.I have been told that my hospital no longer advise the stockings instead I have to self administer Clexane shots daily for 4 whole weeks.Like you I am continuing with the exercises but I won't be issued with any walking aid until after the surgery The physios sort out all that in the hospital and at the moment I am not using any aid.I have been practising with the sock aid and using the grabber for dressing I think I need more practice with those My home is full of the equipment which was delivered on Tuesday.
I am positive that we have made the right decision to have this surgery and because I have been worrying about the possibility of my cold delaying it I haven't been worrying about the surgery yet ! So roll on Monday and I look forward to reading about your adventures flying down the Rehab Hall .


Just got back from the dentist.They did a good exam (pushed,pulled tapped ,wiggled) of the suspect tooth and shot 2 Xray's. All negative. So there goes ( I hope! ) the last issue that stood in the way of going forward toward Monday surgery. I will ck. out the Clexane shots you mentioned and see if they are available. Glad to hear your post of equptment has arrived.Hoping to get the toilet seat and bath seat delivered today
I have not received the call from the hospital telling me what time to report. That call will come tomorrow. That will put a finer point on the inevitability of the process . The count down continues !

All the best ,
Robert
 
Thank you Chris for your good wishes.I will let you know how I get on once I get home as I am not taking my I Pad into hospital
 
designergirl Thank you for your good wishes for Monday which is fast approaching. It's very comforting to have so many hip buddies wishing us well and thinking about us.
 
Prayers and best wishes to @Kimm22 Xanthe liberatedhip and Overly Hackled , the best is yet to come

Thanks or your Prayers and best wishes. Received my surrey time for Monday the 18th.1:30 pm Eastern Standard time in the US.Not certain but I think that is 5:30 pm in the UK. Still good to go and trying to relax over this weekend and show up on Monday ready to get it done!
Hope all others scheduled for the 18th ( and Beyond ) are doing well and looking forward to their new lives. My right hip is defiantly "Ripe" and read to be harvested :)
 
Overly Hackled. I believe that New York is 5 hours behind London so it will be 6.30 pm over here when you go to theatre on Monday. I haven't been given a time but I am 3rd on the list and have to present myself at 7 am.Enjoy a relaxing day tomorrow and I will see you on the other side, both of us with new hips and starting the road to recovery and a better life.I am not taking my I Pad into hospital so I won't be able to check in until I get home. Sending you my very best wishes and you will be in my prayers
 
Good luck to all our March soon to be hippies for next next... We will be waiting on the recovery side for that all important first post surgery update :)
 
Overly Hackled. I believe that New York is 5 hours behind London so it will be 6.30 pm over here when you go to theatre on Monday. I haven't been given a time but I am 3rd on the list and have to present myself at 7 am.Enjoy a relaxing day tomorrow and I will see you on the other side, both of us with new hips and starting the road to recovery and a better life.I am not taking my I Pad into hospital so I won't be able to check in until I get home. Sending you my very best wishes and you will be in my prayers

Lets hope there is white smoke coming out of both our hospitals chimney on Monday evening signaling that a new hip has been selected and successfully installed! :) I hope you also have a a restful and enjoyable Sunday and are in good spirits as you head toward "crossing over" . I 'll look forward to hearing from you as time and circumstance allow. I will also keep you in my prayers.Let the new life begin!
 
Good luck to all our March soon to be hippies for next next... We will be waiting on the recovery side for that all important first post surgery update :)

I want to thank you for all you have done for so many folks for such a long time. You are a very special person to give so much of yourself to so many going through this process. I would never have had the support I have received on this site were it not for your encouragement.
 
I would like to add my thanks to everyone on this site who has supported me on my journey over the last two months I would not be so well prepared, informed and so positive about my surgery tomorrow if it weren't for Bonesmart Sending my love to you all.I also wish my fellow hippies who are having their operations tomorrow all the luck and good wishes in the world. We will soon meet again on the other side with new hips, ready to start our new and better lives
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom