Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

I hope you are able to get a good ortho there who can see what's happening on your x-rays. Let us know what happens. Did you ever find another ortho that would work with your insurance?
 
It was a total joke..waste of money. They did nothing but offer me a Toridol injection and tell me to go to my primary care physician for an order for a cat scan. Feel like an idiot for even going there.
 
So they didn't have an OS look at the film? You really need a revision specialist. I don't believe ordinary docs know what they're looking at when it comes to implants, especially looking for flaws in implants. Any success finding a revision doc that accepts your insurance?
 
No luck yet...still looking....after my little ER visit today..I was so mad. They just suggested getting a cat scan ordered by my own primary care physician. I am seriously getting sick of getting doors slammed in my face over this. Nobody wants to take responsibility or even try to help me...yet.
 
Why not try calling your health insurance tomorrow and ask what they suggest? Maybe they'll have an answer.
 
OHHH and when I mentioned that the OS had given me Gabapentin as a answer to the pain I was having.....The nurse looked at me and said...oh that is given to patients that have chronic pain for no reason. (In my opinion.. she was alerting that I was crazy) OMG I cant tell you how frustrating this all is.
 
This is all very frustrating for you.
Can you take a break for a day or two and pamper yourself with a treat?
 
I am just so sick of going around in circles with these Doctors and still nobody can say why this surgery failed and what they can do to fix it. Unfortunately a treat for me is taking a pain pill and putting myself out of pain. I am so paranoid about becoming an addict that I don't take them often...on the days that I dont take them..I am basically on my butt with my legs stretched straight out...it hurts to sit with them bent very long. When I take them..I can actually make it out of the house for small trips to the grocery store etc. What a life. ugh
 
Unfortunately, a lot of PKRs fail early. I know that some surgeons who used to favour them have stopped doing them, because of that.

I was fortunate to have a PKR that lasted for eleven years before it had to be revised to a TKR. Even so, I wouldn't consider having a PKR for my second knee, but went straight to a TKR.

Initially, I was sold on the PKR, because my surgeon at that time told me it was more suitable for a younger person. Maybe that's what happened to you, too?

However, that's all water under the bridge and probably no comfort to you now.
Sometimes, I wish that hindsight could be foresight!

There are some surgeons who won't see another surgeon's patients until a year has elapsed since their surgery. That's another barrier you may come up against.

Don't give up, though. There has to be a solution for you somewhere.
 
Oh my gosh. I'm horrified with that treatment. Was it St Luke's ER where you went?

How tied to your GP are you? I have a GP that might be able to help you get in to see an ortho surgeon. It's the one I was suggesting earlier that could recommend someone in the St. Luke's system since I'm not familiar with any of their ortho guys.

Would you consider having a consultation with him? He's a great guy to run front for you with any medical problem and since he's connected with St. Luke's, that could resolve any insurance issues. His name is Dr. Paul D. Moore and his clinic is at 151st Street and Nall. Is that anywhere close to you?

I just think all this is wearing you down to the point that it's going to be difficult for you without some help. You need an advocate.
 
It was shawnee mission medical center. I'm not tied strongly to anyone at this point. I'm basically feeling like I'm in a nightmare. I have to go to whomever is in network with my insurance. I will look Dr. Moore up this morning. Thank you for caring. I apparently am having terrible luck trying to do this on my own.
 
Hang in there and let me know about Dr. Moore. I will contact him right away and grease the skids for you a bit if you can go to see him. While it is sad about what you experienced at the ER, I sort of understand because all of those units in hospitals now are contracted out. They are connected with the rest of the hospital staff, but only "kind of." So in a way I'm not surprised that they didn't do much with your knee. They probably are not used to dealing with something like you're experiencing. But I still think they should have consulted an ortho specialist! So they're not completely off the hook in my book.
 
I got all my medical records in the mail yesterday.. I requested copies of ALL of it. I'm not sure anyone wants to read their own surgical notes...pretty scary. Dr. Moore is in my network as is now Olathe Medical Center. They must have updated their website of in network providers or I was having a huge brain issue. I don't think its a bad thing to change primary care physicians. Maybe get a new set of eyes on me.. I have not canceled my appt with Dr. Bohn so that still stands although I am petrified he too will send me walking with no answers. I am thinking that I need some kind of advocate with me or to help me go any further with this. Do insurance companies provide help like this or does anyone know who I would contact for help? I can't take anymore doors being slammed in my face.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the phone with blue cross blue shield as I am texting this and yes all doctors are in network. I am asking about advocacy now. YEAH!!:loveshwr: I got my second wind today...yesterday I just could not talk to one more medical professional. I am spent. I also am going to call and speak to somebody at Shawnee Mission Medical Center about the care I got in their ER. I am NOT paying that bill. All they did was tell me to go to my primary care Doctor. NO WAY am I paying for that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a medical question also....I had a tourniquet placed on each leg for some time during the surgery. How long are those left on safely? Can they be left on too long? I am reading they can cause problems if left on too long. I am reading they can be left on up to 3 hours safely??? Boy that sounds like a long time. I had one on each leg for 45 minutes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are placed on your leg during surgery. @Josephine would have to tell you exactly how log they may be left on. But 45 minutes is well within the safety time frame, so please don't worry that they would be causing you problems.

Please let me know if you cannot find someone to go with you to your appointment with Dr. Bohn. I'll see what I can do to help you.
 
I do know, from my own experience in theatre (which is more limited than Josephine's) that they keep track of how long the tourniquet is on very carefully. In my experience, it was one person's job to clock watch and let the surgeons know how much time had elapsed.
 
I had a tourniquet placed on each leg for some time during the surgery. How long are those left on safely? Can they be left on too long?
Generally leg tourniquets aren't left on longer the 1½hrs though the shorter the better. They can be left on two hours if necessary without causing problems but it depends upon the patient's general health and if they have, for instance, vascular problems in their legs. What makes them safe is that the leg will be exanguinated before the cuff is inflated (all the blood removed by a rubber bandage). There is always a 'time elapsed' clock in the theatre which is started as soon as the cuff is inflated so we can keep a close watch on the time.

This has been done since early in the 1920s though we have somewhat more sophisticated equipment these days!
 
I swear ERs are only good if you are having a heart attack or something like that. (Or a broken bone--I had a good experience when I broke my wrist.)
I think they assume anyone who goes there who is in pain is just looking for drugs and don't take time to try to figure out the issue.
I hope you get some help at your upcoming appointment.
 
Back
Top Bottom