Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

Due to an infection complication I spent 22 days in the hospital and rehab through my recovery, as well as over 2 months of being stuck in the house. So I know how people can get tired of dealing with an illness. I was blessed to have a great friend whom I had helped through her cancer surgeries, so we just did a switcheroo with her helping me. My family was also helpful. I did feel very disconnected with work.
 
I also live alone. I slept whenever I was tired, talk to my children when they got home from work and stayed on Bonesmart reading others posts and using the social room to play games. I had home PT to break up my day (but I controlled how much I did) and eventually went to outpatient PT just for something to do.
 
I have my boyfriend who has been very supportive and keeping me financially floating. My 2 kids are in College out of state and I have no other family left. Thank goodness for good friends that have helped me also
 
but a close second is the isolation, loneliness and endless tv watching for the last 4 months. I live alone and it's depressing to me.
I've lived alone my entire life and I've learned one immutable fact: it's a question of mind over matter - meaning if you don't mind then it doesn't really matter! (joke)
 
Sorry to hear you are feeling so isolated and lonely.

I'm married, but after my surgery this past summer my husband had his regular job and then was also doing some home improvements on our daughter's house. So I spent many days and hrs alone. Pretty much did what needed to be done myself. There was times I felt like you do right now.

Maybe just getting out of the house for a fall color car ride, or to take in a movie, or a dinner with friends. Just a little outing. You mentioned a boyfriend - maybe go out for dinner or a movie with him. I found just getting out once in a while for a short period of time satisfied me, as even this far out you can get tuckered out easily. Maybe the brain fog should be gone by now find a hobby or do some crafting. The internet is full of neat little in expensive things to make and the holidays are right around the corner.
 
I know it is hard being home for a while and not being able to do your "norms". Just not going to work cuts down on the socializing and lets face it--day time TV is the pits:). For as long as I have been down I am very lucky to be able to work from home. It has kept me sane. It is a big deal to get out of the house for a doctors appointment...it turns into an all day adventure because of all the stops I make my husband take:) Just being able to get out for a little while helps. I've been in the same house since 97 and know my neighbors so it is nice to sit out front and visit. There are a lot of them like like to walk the neighborhood in the evenings and will stop for a few words and see how I am doing. Things will get better.
 
That sounds great. I have only been in this house a year so I don't know too many neighbors yet because I haven't been able to get out lololol. I'm surviving but oh so bored. TV is terrible during the day. ha
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Still having just as much pain. I will be 5 months post op on the 16th. So discouraged with this recovery.
 
There are very few in my area that even do makoplasty so that is almost impossible unfortunately. It's really hard to get another surgeon to pick up where one left off. I'm negative today. I apologize. just in so much pain
 
I think you need to get a different set of eyes on your knees. I'm not sure it matters if the OS does partials, he or she can take a look at your knee and x-rays to see if there's a problem. When was the last time you saw your OS? I'm going to tag @Josephine so she can take a look at your x-rays on post #13.
 
I saw him about 3 weeks ago and I get the same answer every time...He sees nothing wrong and some people just heal slower...blah blah blah....tries to push pills on me to take to mask the pain and I am DONE with pills. This is comparable to a bad tooth ache in both knees...the longer I am on them the worse it gets. At night I cant keep my legs in the same position very long without having an urge to move them.
 
I think you need to take something for your pain. It's all very well saying you are done with pills, but that's rather pointless when you are obviously in pain.

At 5 months out, I still needed 4 doses of Paracetamol (Tylenol) 1,000 mg on some days.
Very few of us are completely pain free by 5 months.
 
When I am saying pill free I am meaning prescription pain killers. I am taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Alternating. It sure doesn't relieve the pain though.
 
If you still have that much pain it might be helpful for you to at least take a stronger pain killer at night so you can get some sleep. Also ice and elevation can still be very helpful for pain. I know that I still use ice and/or narcotics at the end of a long day on my feet at work and I'm almost 8 months out.
You might want to see another OS for a second opinion. I saw a different OS at 5 months out. Look for a revision specialist because they can usually give you a good idea if all is OK or not. You deserve to live with a pain-free knee.
 
I am taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Alternating. It sure doesn't relieve the pain though.
Ibuprofen may well have worked before you had your surgery, but it's basically an anti-inflammatory drug adn it's not nearly as good a pain killer as Tylenol.
Have you tried taking Tylenol on a regular regime, of 1,000 mg 4 times a day, to a total of 4,000 mg daily. Tylenol only stays in your blood stream for 4-6 hours, so you do need to keep taking it regularly throughout the day.
 
Took 4000 mg of Tylenol yesterday. I could not tell I took anything. :bawl: The temperature dropped here almost 30 degrees overnight. From 67* to 42*..Should be an interesting day. I will try the Tylenol another day. I went ahead and had the https://www.rxlist.com/voltaren-gel-drug.htm filled and it will be delivered today. Trying to be patient with all this...very hard.
 
I am still suffering 6 months post op with severe knee pain. I have tried everything I can think of to help make it go away. The surgeon that did my PKR's is just shaking his head and has no answers at all. I was thinking about an appt with a Rheumatoid Doctor?? Any suggestions. I am at my wits end here.
 
  • Useful
Reactions: JEA
I think it would be wise to seek a second opinion from an ortho who specializes in revisions. These specialists are trained to look at replacements and see what regular orthos cannot. My second OS was a revision specialist, it was listed in his bio on the ortho's group website.

Have you stopped all the therapy and exercises?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom