TKR macduf387 has crossed over to recovery - round 2

:scare::bawl::bignono::gaah::gaah::gaah: How do they forget your pain meds! Night shift is the quiet shift supposedly!!! I am so sorry. We all know you have to stay on top of the pain. Safe travels home to your own little nest and schedule!
 
Well woke up this morning 5.30am in a lot of pain the nurse had forgotten to give me my 2am pain meds. Yikes don't want to do that again can't wait to get home and set up my own pain management. She said sorry but damage was done it's 8am now and it's become more tolerable but still bad. Don't think I am going to do pt this morning. Hoping this day goes quick and I can get out of here this afternoon.

I hope you do go home this afternoon.
Make sure that you let your surgeon and senior daytime staff (nursing supervisor or patient advocate) know that your 2 a.m. dose of medication was overlooked. That isn't good patient care and it needs to be dealt with.

Perhaps the night staff didn't realise they should have kept to the schedule and they assumed that, because you were asleep, you didn't need it?
 
I am home yay in my own bed already managed to take a nap. I am sore taken my pain meds have my ice machine running, so feeling blessed.
@Celle i think it's just different hospital protocol. My last hospital was a newer one and they brought me meds exactly as doctor ordered, at the hospital this time it was well tell us if you need the meds you can have them every six hours and every 4 hrs. It's like they are trying to save costs or something grr at least I am home. I did mention what had happened to my pa and she couldn't believe it also surmising oh she is sleeping so I won't wake her.
It just pretty much took the whole day to get back on track. I am just glad I am home. :chillpill:
 
If there is ever a next time, make it clear from the start that you want your pain medications on a fixed schedule, even if you are asleep.
 
Well didn't have a very good night at home the knee was sore I could not seem to get the pain meds right and of all things my ice machine decided to give up the ghost. So my poor hubby got up through the night and kept changing my ice packs that I got from the hospital for me.
I am better this morning I think I have the pain meds under control every 4 hours is working for me, and I managed to find a new ice machine off Craigslist this morning for $50 so I am a happy lady. :yes!:
The Percocet is making me very sleepy and seeing things in double vision. I am just doing my ankle pumps etc and walking to bathroom and kitchen as my pt for today considering they tried to make me do to much in the hospital. Also it looks like my health insurance this time round does not want to pay for home pt so I am just going to leave it and start outpatient pt in the New year.
That's about it for now have a blessed day everyone.
 
The ankle pumps and short walks around the house are all the PT your new knee needs.
what it needs most is lots of this:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

When you do get to outpatient PT, remember this - no bending or forcing of your knee, and no overworking it. You knee needs to bend by itself, not be "helped" by th PT, or by use of bands or anything else to pull on it.
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

Set your rules for PT right from the start.
 
Hi all my bonesmartie friends I am on day 5 of recovery on my second knee, I have had a visit from the poop fairy in the early hours of this morning, Thank you Lord. This recovery seems to be mimicking the first recovery except I think I have more swelling with this knee which could be a result of doing some exercises I shouldn't have done in pt in the hospital. Lesson learnt. I am feeling quite tired today and have no energy so I am just catching up on some sleep. I have some sharp come and go pains today. That's the life of recovery.
:flwrysmile::good-bad::flwrysmile:
 
I found it was best to give into the droziness and just sleep as much as possible. I'm glad the fairy visited!
 
Wishing you some good :sleep: and plenty of ice. :)
 
I felt energetic this morning so I decided to shower and wash my hair. I feel like a million dollars. I don't see any bruising on the back of my knee.But my knee and lower leg are quite swollen and red. It feels great to get the compression stockings off. Pain has been up and down but the pain meds are doing there job. My hubby got a good nights sleep last night so I was happy.
It's cold for California standards today and it's grey outside. I guess it's better than the Midwest snow and below freezing temps.

:good-bad:
 
You are doing well. Get as much sleep as you can, when you can. That first shower does wonders for us but I also remember how tired you can be afterwards.
 
How are you Marian @newlybionic appreciate you stopping by. I see you are looking at your right knee in Spring 2017. That's great I am so looking forward to being fully recovered by summer 2017.
Take care of yourself. :SUNsmile:
 
Boy did I ever take a nap @KarriB
It's Monday morning one week post op. I feel good the energy drain is here just like last time. I definitely cannot concentrate for long, I fall asleep reading posts and trying to catch-up on facebook. I will be writing and find myself dosing off .
I am taking Percocet 10-325 every 4 hours and it seems to be working well. I am just doing the bone smart exercises and walking around about 1000-1600 steps. My knee is swollen don't have much bend but my extension seems to be good considering I am one week post op. I will say I am much more relaxed this time I am not as worried about things as I know it will come in time. I guess that's the bonus on the second knee. :heehee:
Spending my day watching animal planet .
Take care all of you bonesmarties have a great pain free day.
 
You're doing well. I'm glad you rpain is well controlled.

It's a bit early for counting how many steps you 're doing. Just walk to the bathroom and kitchen as you need to. Don't aim for a certain number of steps each day.
 
Thanks @Celle Ha ha not really counting the steps but I was wearing my Fitbit one day and was chuckling that I had actually done 1000 steps .
 
Hi all I have been doing pretty good scared myself to death today I have been walking with my walker and there is one step to go up to move to our study. I had my surgery knee on the top of the step and I was bringing you left foot up when it caught on the step and I went flying I managed to hold onto the walker and my daughter was standing in front of me. I kind of tweaked both knees so I am in pain tonight. I dint hit the floor thank goodness, but I sure got a fright. Be careful out there don't get complacent. It's when you tend to hurt yourself :gaah:
My staples are also getting irritating at least they come out on Friday and I will ask pa to make sure all is good.
Anyway one day closer to recovery.
Blessings to all. :chillpill:
 
Hi all so I was supposed to have my staples out today but the surgeons office called and changed to Tuesday, not to disappointed as it has been raining buckets here since last night and I don't like driving in the rain if I don't have to. I seem to be having a bit of the it band pain this time but on the whole recovery going along nicely.
My daughter in law graduated as a nurse last night so that was exciting. I didn't go to the ceremony it would have been a little to much walking etc, but I was there in spirit. :SUNsmile:

Meds are working good I thought I would cut one in half but it's definitely to soon so back to my normal dose for another week.
Take care everyone and remember you are stronger than you think.

:reindeerlights::reindeer::santawave::tree lights:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom