TKR macduf387 has crossed over to recovery - round 2

One thing I have noticed this time around is I feel I am ready to ditch the walker but then then suddenly my knee will buckle which I don't remember having last time. It's a weird feeling and my knee didn't do it prior to surgery. I guess just another quirk to work out this time around.
 
Madeleine, it sounds like you are continuing on the path to a nice strong knee. Watch those steps!! I agree, being too complacent and comfortable, can lead to an accident. I am glad you did not go down or hurt yourself. Did they use the same brand/kind of knee for your second? What are you doing differently this time around? I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
 
Thank God you didn't fall with that mishap on the step! It can happen so fast and when we least expect it! My knee occasionally, even now, will try to buckle. It bends only a few inches and then stops, but it's still scary. I think it's something that once you heal, you'll outgrow!
 
Hi Janis @Timetolive so nice to hear from you they used the same implant a smith and nephew Oxinium apparently my Os likes them especially for active people.
I am getting there it seems like I am accomplishing things quicker than last time. It hasn't been two weeks yet but I am already venturing around in my bedroom without the walker. I also don't feel as tired this time which is great. But I am very early I. The recovery and we all no things can change very quickly.
How are you doing how is Ralp behaving.
I will be glad to get off the meds I hate taking them but I also know I can't do without them at the moment.
Take care and I am sure you are looking forward to Christmas this year.
Xoxoxo
 
All right then going to get my staples out this morning, I am not looking forward to it as last time it hurt a lot.
:nah:
Hopefully this time is a non event, I am going to take pain pills half hour before my appointment to be on the safe side. Other than that doing well it was two weeks post surgery yesterday so I am getting a little more mobile. I still need my naps still icing most of the day, thank goodness I have nothing pressing going on right now doing some last minute Christmas shopping on line, I am not missing the holiday crowds etc. I am quite happy relaxing at home with my 4 legged kids. Hang in there those of you who are just starting your recovery it does get better. Have a great day.
:snowman::gbh::santawave:
 
Sounds like you are doing very well. I hope the staples removal didn't bother you too much this time. At least that's something you will not have to face again. I just read about your almost fall! That's is indeed very scary. I hope you have a great Christmas with your two baby knees and your 4 legged friends.
 
You sound as if you're doing well, Madeleline. Not itching to get out and about, just taking it easy. I do hope the staple removal went well.
 
Madeleine,, how did the staple removal go? I remember last Christmas - it was almost nice to have an "excuse" to sit all the hub-but out! Hahaha! It was especially nice to watch everyone doing the house cleaning and cooking! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Ralph still likes to swell and refuses to let me kneel on him. The nerve pain takes my breath away when I do. I still haven't solved my intestinal problem I developed with the opiods, but life goes on and I am thankful not to have that bone on bone pain. So thankful.
 
Hi Janis the staple removal went well much better than last time. I did remove the dressing before I went to Os that helped much easier taking it off myself than having it ripped off. Only two staples where really sore as they quite embedded and skin starting to cover them. Otherwise os very happy with progress. I did mention that it felt like I had band tight across my thigh they wanted to know if I had any calf pain which I said no but I do have swelling all the way down to ankle. It was suggested that putting on the white stocking during the day would probably ease swelling will see if it doesn't get better I will experiment with stocking.
This is my second year I am sitting watching everyone else prepare for Christmas. My daughter and daughter in law made dinner last night and we discussed who was doing what and it will be fine. The two of them have been cooking dinners for us which has been great as hubby very busy at work and it's not fair for him to come home late and still have to worry about dinner. I am blessed. The knee feels much better now that the staples are out, pain is under control, I am not doing any home pt just doing my own exercise it feels good have about 80 bend and close to 0 extension Os happy. I think I will start pt in the new year I had a hood one last time and I have him again this time so it will be good. I am taking xarelto thank goodness it has been fine with me compared to what it did to you.
So to all of you out there going through recovery just follow the bonesmart mantra and you will be just fine. I am another one of the many examples that it works great. Have a great day all of you.
:merry christmas::dancing::merry christmas::dancing:
 
I remember how much better it felt when I got my staples out. Good for you following the Bonesmart way and your OS being happy with your results!
 
I'm glad the staples removal went well. It's good to be rid of them, isn't it?
 
:merryx: It's wonderful that your daughter and daughter-in-love are taking care of Christmas as well as meals for you and your husband. I'm glad the staple removal went well. Enjoy the holiday! :santawave:
 
Well well it's just short of 4 weeks into my second knee recovery. It's New Year's Eve and things are good. I have started walking around without the walker, the knee feels good it is still swollen and stiff which is to be expected but I am slowly getting a little more bend. I am walking around more, I am putting loads of washing into the washer and taking my much needed rest with icing and elevating. So recovery is coming along very nicely. I am still on pain pills every 6 hours. I have just done the normal exercises recommended by bonesmart but ultimately just rested iced and elevated, and I am very happy with the progress. My incision is looking good as well and is shorter than the other knee which I find interesting. That's about it I wish all my bonesmartie family a healthy wealthy happy and pain free New Year. May all your dreams come true.
:yes!::flwrysmile::happydance::yay:
 
Hi all it's 4 weeks today since surgery and I officially joined the over done it club. I was feeling so good so started walking around more and doing more and I woke up yesterday with a very stiff knee. You would think I would remember from the first surgery right! Not ! Oh well spent yesterday and today with my leg up and icing and it's starting to feel a little better. I also had like a burning sensation on the incision line especially when I had some sweat pants on. I am back to wearing shorts and a bandage on the knee for icing.
Otherwise just a reminder that this is a slow recovery and you will have ups and downs.
Wishing everyone a pain free good recovery.

:chillpill: :flwrysmile:
 
Oh no! It happens to the best of us and it's happened to quite a few over the holidays. Take it easy for a few days, ice, elevate and rest that new knee.
 
Thanks @KarriB thats exactly what I am doing just shows even though I have been through it before you still don't realize when you have joined the odc until you have actually over done it.
 
Too bad we don't have a warning buzzer to let us know when we are doing too much! That would be so much better than finding out too late!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom