Guest viewing is limited

TKR macduf387 has crossed over to recovery - round 2

Well Tks @Josephine but my post seems to be one of the ones that does not have the thread tools. Thank you again for changing it.
 
Well it's time in the morning bright and early I will have my right knee replaced. I am sitting relaxing my nest is ready for when I come home. I have cleaned and prepared as much as I can. Now just have to try and relax and try and get some sleep. I will say hi as soon as I get a chance. Praying that round two will go as smoothly as round one. See you on the recovery side. :flwrysmile::praying::flwrysmile:
 
Will be waiting to hear from you. I'm hoping and praying you have a great recovery
 
Hi bone smartie friends I am on the recovery side for round 2. My surgery went well my is said the knee was bad. I am resting comfortably I have not eaten as I am fighting nausea so that as been the only negative so far. Oh pt came around and I told her straight I don't believe in the no pain no gain philosophy and that I would not do pt to hurt my New knee. Anyway I will check in tomorrow.
 
If the nausea doesn't settle soon, ask for something to prevent it.
 
Day 2 feeling much better no naseau they are going to get me up in a bit so I can get my own clothes on and sit in a chair. I managed to get a few hours sleep considering they wake you up to check on you etc. pain is under control it actually hurts at the back of my leg and of course I have this big brace on because ai had a femoral block. Have a great day all of you.
 
so sorry you hit a bump in recovery pain and nausea is awful. Hope it's all sorted for you now and you will soon be home.
 
Madeleine! I came by to check on you. I am so happy to see you are on the other side! How long will you be in the hospital? What is different this time around? do you notice any difference from a year ago? I do hope you have a comfortable day. Get something for that nausea. :eeeuw:
 
Probably couldn't ice the back of the knee with the brace. I hope the nausea and pain are under control.
 
@macduf387 - I'm glad Day 2 was more comfortable for you.

You've probably read all these before, but I'm going to give you the recovery reading list again, so you don't have to go back to your first TKR posts to access it:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Thank you all I just got back from pt had a guy there who thinks he is Rambo and is trying to do as much as possible pushing himself. I just said no did what I could and no more. Back in my room and asking for my meds.
Naseau gone thank goodness managed some breakfast.
Thank you Janis @Timetolive for stopping by what's different I is I had naseau straight away from surgery maybe better as last time I had it on the second day:groan: my pain is good they are trying to do more pt at this hospital and I am rebelling. I don't think I am going this afternoon. I am a little sore. Just took some pain meds so we will see. If all goes well I will go home tomorrow. :thumb:
Thank you @Celle for the reads I will definitely read again.
 
Skipped pt they were not to happy the usual it's normal to be in pain :no-fin:
Young whipper snappers. I just said I know it's painful but I was not going irritate it more so that I would not be happy later or tomorrow don't let them hurt you fellow bonesmarties
 
Way to fight off PT! That was the best thing I did after my revision. You'll do much better. I'm glad the nausea is behind you now.
 
Well done for refusing the over-enthusiastic PT.

The only PT I had in hospital after my last TKR was to show me how to walk, using crutches, how to get out of bed and back in again, and how to negotiate stairs. They did show me one form of heel slides, and told me "Do them when your knee loosens up a bit."

My surgeon does not allow any more PT than that for the first month after surgery. He says that your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. His patients all do well.

I had no more PT at all after that. My leg straightens fully and bends to over 125 degrees. It's strong and reliable.
 
Pt also wanted me to walk the equivalent of 3 large blocks from my room to the pt room I said in your dreams :snork:
Should get out of here tomorrow thank goodness I have Avery loud room mate who hasn't had surgery and lets the tv blare etc. just want to get out of here to my peaceful home and no waking up every 5 mins.
Sleep tight had my meds putting some ear plugs in and hoping for a little sleep.:sleep:
 
Well woke up this morning 5.30am in a lot of pain the nurse had forgotten to give me my 2am pain meds. Yikes don't want to do that again can't wait to get home and set up my own pain management. She said sorry but damage was done it's 8am now and it's become more tolerable but still bad. Don't think I am going to do pt this morning. Hoping this day goes quick and I can get out of here this afternoon.
 
How does that happen?! Hoping you get home to rest in your own nest.
 
I don't know @KarriB seriously I am in a different hospital this time as healthcare plan changed, I must say they were on the ball at the other hospital. The nurses are good here but I have to remind them for my meds. Oh well just get home and I will be okay.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom