THR Lucy's Recovery

Congrats on your staple removal! Another big step towards normalcy, indeed! The one nice thing about staples is that it gives you and nice thin incision line, I bet your scar looks rather nice. :yes:

I never minded my staples! 9 weeks later there really is no scar!
Confidence on wet leaves will come soon enough.
I'm fine with them at my stage. Fortunately cause its been raining or misting all week. And leaves. hooboy do we have leaves and acorns!

I'm almost at three weeks now, doing gentle PT exercises three times a day and walking about 3,000 steps. I'm walking unaided at home some, but using the cane when I go out with someone and the walker when I go out alone. Feeling a little in the doldrums. This is my third Sunday not getting out to Mass, and I really miss it. I am under total hip precautions for three months. Any suggestions on sitting in a church pew?

:console2:Aaaw...I'm sorry you are missing church and getting a bit of cabin fever.
Seems the initial well wishers fall off a bit too about this time and can be difficult to feel isolated from :the real world"
You definitely will want to bring a nice cushion when you go.
You do however sound to be doing just great and there is alot of improvement to come.
Big hugs and happy thoughts @HipLucy :flwrysmile:

:hi: Happy Sunday!
Gentle PT and 3000 steps sounds like wonderful progress at three weeks.
Good for you!

I'm sorry you're feeling blue, hopefully it passes soon. As far as Church goes, does your church, or another of the same faith, record Sunday services? You could go into a quiet space and watch / receive the message as though you were there. I realize it's not the same but would imagine you'd be spiritually fed and feel uplifted afterward...just a thought.

Some members have mentioned memory foam cushions here for car, home and the workplace. I don't see why it wouldn't serve the same purpose on a church pew. Do a little online research and see what you come up with.
There is one in the Recovery Articles but I'm sure there are also many more options available online -

I hope you have a lovely Sunday as you continue on your healing journey!
@HipLucy

@Mojo333
@Layla
Thanks so much for the suggestions. My parish does not record Sunday Masses, but I have been listening to Mass on the radio, which is helpful. Memory foam cushion is a great idea, particularly since I have a ways to go yet. I'll check them out online and run them by the PT. Still, you know you're feeling better when you're grousing about things you can't do instead of dealing with immediate post-op pain and crises. I'm grateful for that.

I'm now three and a half weeks out from my surgery, walking 2-3 thousand steps a day, and doing comfortable PT exercises. My operated hip is feeling very good, but the other hip is giving me trouble. I feel some pain in the front of the hip slightly toward the outside. I feel it especially when I throw my operated leg forward to sit down. Am I straining the unoperated side? I am still walking with a cane. Thanks all for any insight/pointers.

Hi :wave: You very well could be stressing the "good hip"
My left hip is solid and was replaced earlier but it was whining for a few weeks after I replaced righty.

Your body is trying to adjust to your new hip and trying to figure out how to walk normally again. It can cause all kinds of aches and pains or other joint discomfort.. hopefully that is all it is, an adjustment period and will ease up with time.
Your walking sounds really good! I bet you are enjoying that activity.. Maybe rest that other hip too for a few days and things will ease up? If not I would recommend talking to your OS about it.

Also, if you are still wearing the same shoes as before surgery you really might want to look into getting them replaced. Your old shoes could have a bad wear pattern that is causing you to walk incorrectly and throwing off your gait.

I agree with CricketHip about maybe giving the other hip a rest for a few days to see if that helps.

Thanks @CricketHip and @Elf1, that's good advice. I have spent most of the day in my recliner with ice on my good hip and already feel a lot better. I think maybe I should go for fewer, shorter walks than that one long one I've been doing, which involves walking uphill (past the National Zoo!). It's supposed to turn sharply colder tomorrow and Saturday, so maybe I'll slow down a bit.

I am dreading this first cold snap. it was almost feeling a little balmy today. But my neck is telling me something is quickly approaching!

I'm glad you are resting.. it's the best remedy. If it continues then have the OS check things out for you.
Good luck!! Keep us posted.

:hi: @HipLucy
It's a special day...Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you've been over the past week? I hope all is going well for you. Will look forward to hearing from you soon.
Big hugs :friends:

Hello @Layla and all the rest of the hip heroes. I haven't posted for a while because I've been obsessively reading old threads going back years. I know, "Don't compare recoveries." But I keep hoping I'll find someone just like me. At five weeks I'm not doing as well as I had hoped. It may be that I'm walking too much. Until OA hit me a year ago I walked five miles a day. I realize I have to break up the walks into small pieces, but I don't want to. I'm pretty much off the cane at home, but I use it when I go out.

I took a Celebrex today, which seems to help more than the 1,000 mg Tylenol, but maybe not a good idea. Any thoughts on that?

Hi @HipLucy
Sorry you sound like your frustrated.

. I haven't posted for a while because I've been obsessively reading old threads going back years. I know, "Don't compare recoveries." But I keep hoping I'll find someone just like me.
There are many members feeling like they are behind the curve and wondering why things dont hurry up and get to normal at 5 weeks.
What do you mean about not finding someone like you, exactly. I'm trying to understand.
At five weeks I'm not doing as well as I had hoped.
I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life
It may be that I'm walking too much
It may be. How far do you walk?
What do you think?
Maybe if you can let me know what you feel the main issues are, some folks can weigh in.

Last edited:
@Mojo333
Thank you for taking the time to post such a thoughtful reply. You got it: I am frustrated, and I miss my busy life of paid and volunteer work. I think I was hoping to find a thread of someone who seemed not to be progressing at 4 or 5 weeks, but then got magically better at 6. I want a story exactly like mine. I think that's a sign of my low-level depression.

As for walking, yesterday I walked about a mile and a half. I went to my local Starbucks and met some very nice people. I really miss casual social interaction, which I had all the time before surgery. So I got a big emotional boost from yesterday's outing but had a lot of pain today.

Also forgot to mention that I've started waking up very early with back pain. It goes away if I move to the recliner, but I rarely fall back asleep.

I'm sorry you're struggling. I believe you will get your life back but it takes baby steps for a time. It's often recommended here that you begin a Phased Return to Work at twelve weeks and you're not even halfway there. I'm only mentioning it as a point of reference because at six weeks the majority aren't ready if given the choice. I also understand some don't have a choice and find it necessary to return and most often struggle and feel exhausted by the time they get home. The article I'm leaving below explains all that's involved that many don't consider. They simply envision themselves in the workplace without much thought of the time and effort it takes to get there. Again, my point being, this is at twelve weeks when there is still Energy Drain, discomfort, stiffness etc. and you're only half the way there so it's natural you're feeling the way you are currently. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/

You're probably walking too much at this point in time, for your recovery.
Check out the Activity Progression For THR below and see how you feel by comparison. It's only a rough gauge. Some may excel and others will lag behind but to stay in that safe zone and out of the ODIC (Over Did It Club) I'd reference it as a guide for a few more weeks -

You're also most likely suffering the Post Op Blues - we share the article for reference because it's real and actually fairly common. Please read the article if you haven't had the opportunity so far - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

If missing the social interaction is a big part of what you're yearning for, consider inviting a friend, neighbor or family member offer for coffee and dessert, or meeting someone for breakfast. It's only temporary and will ease as the weeks progress. Also, I'm not sure if you're looking for daily progress, but if you are, you will be disappointed. Try not to dwell on the progress you're making but pick a day of the week and on that same day each week, look back and see what type of progress you've made. I'm sure you'll realize you have made some improvements if you don't think about it as often.

Keep stopping by, we're here to support, encourage and help in any way we're able. I have confidence you'll get to where you desire to be, it's just going to take a while longer. We're most often reminded that recovery takes a full year, sometimes even longer, which puts you in the infancy of your recovery. Please keep that in mind when you're feeling down.

Big hugs and wishes for your comfort. I hope you have a peaceful evening.
@HipLucy

Last edited:
I have to agree with @Layla, you're pretty much at that point that you're getting totally bored with taking it easy and concentrating on recovery. We've all been there at some point, we've all wanted to be healed and back to normal but we get reminded we have to be patient.

Somebody posted recently that this point in recovery is pretty much equivalent to 10 minutes into a marathon. I probably didn't get it exactly right but hopefully you get the intent. Stop by here when you get bored, there's usually someone around at all hours and there is a social room you can always check out.

@Layla
I have a plan! I will go outside for a short walk in the sunshine, but will rest 5 minutes before I turn around and come back. I will assess my progress on my week anniversaries only and quit the constant evaluation. I may take on a project I can work on from home. I do feel more normal when I'm working. My outlook is much better. Last night's debate put me to sleep instantly. Fell asleep as Rachel Madow was asking her opening questions and woke up in time for closing statements.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie