THR Lucy's Recovery

Day 8 and counting. After a rocky start, mostly because of stomach discomfort, which is no longer nausea but more like growling sore stomach, I felt better and did my first set of PT exercises. These do not hurt, but require a fair amount of effort. Then went for a walk in my apartment hallway. Still walking only 300-400 steps a day. Even with my very painful arthritis I was doing about 5,000 a day.
 
Just remember that the Tylenol dosing Layla showed you is a repeat schedule and the key is to stick to it for a while to keep ahead of the pain
One dose at the wee hours isnt going to help much in the early days
Later on you will drop dosing as you will simply forget.
 
Last edited:
Day 9 begins with a gift: I had a wonderful dream in which I was walking all over the place without a walker or cane. At one point
I squatted down (with effort) to pick something off the floor.
 
How could I forget? For the first time I did not wake up with nausea or upset stomach. I'm hoping that after 9 days the anesthesia has cleared my system. And thankfully, the constipation is a distant memory. That was the worst thing by far.
 
Day 9 begins with a gift: I had a wonderful dream in which I was walking all over the place without a walker or cane. At one point
I squatted down (with effort) to pick something off the floor.

Good morning! What a nice dream that will soon become reality, and then to awaken without the nausea,, that had to be a relief, too! You are making progress! Did you add Tylenol to your regiman last night? Hopefully you did and it helped you to get a good night's sleep. :sleeep:
 
@CricketHip
Forgot to add the Tylenol. Part of me is reluctant to take it before bed because that adds no nightly bathroom trips. But pain really isn't bad at all the stomach problems were way worse.
 
My PT is a BoneSmart dream. He supervised my simple set of eight exercises, taught me to do steps with a cane, and walked with me outside for a while. He told me to wait 24 hours before doing steps and walking outside again. His big thing is not overdoing it. I love his calm manner and belief in patience and time. Contrasts with a lot of Type A personalities here in DC, including some colleagues who seem to think I should be getting on with it already. .
 
I got a giggle out of your post. I have neighbors who moved here from DC some ten years ago. At first they did everything fast... Five minutes for dinner, now we have to watch politics for 30 minutes. FIve minutes for coffee, meeting to go to.. Rush rush rush.

They have reformed but they do miss your wonderful cherry blossoms!
 
Happy Wednesday!
You lucked out in the PT department. Way less stressful when they're easygoing. I like that he cautioned you to wait 24 hrs also with the hope you won't overdo it, especially only nine days post op.
Hope your afternoon and evening is peaceful. :)
@HipLucy
 
Thanks @Layla. I can't thank you at Bonesmart enough for giving me the confidence to listen to my body. I didn't need to use that confidence with this PT, but I'll have it tucked away if I do.
 
@mainegirl1
Loved hearing about your neighbors and their rushing about. I've lived here off and on since 1965, and it wasn't always this way. Used to be a sleepy town, but changed sometime in the 80s I think. It is a beautiful city though, and I'm fortunate to live just a stone's throw from the National Zoo.
 
TRHR + 10: Didn't get much sleep last night thanks to the Nationals' outstanding performance in the World Series. Today's accomplishment: washed my hair in the sink. Feels so good to have clean hair. I know I must be feeling better if that matters to me.
 
Wonderful. Clean hair is such a lift to the spirit. After my first knee replacement, the aid left me alone in the bathroom which was great. She thought I was just brushing my teeth and washing my face but I snuck in a hair shampooing. It felt so good and I have short hair. It makes me feel more alive and human and not a sick patient to have clean hair.
 
@leejaa
You must be speedy indeed to sneak a shampoo under your nurse's watchful eye. That's a great story. I stopped coloring my hair a year ago and am happy with the gray, but I hate it when it looks lank.
 
@HipLucy Glad you had a history making game to watch. It’s a nice distraction from hip healing and a fabulous time when your team wins.
I am thinking about going grey, too. I am getting tired of coloring it and all the precautions I take to make sure the dye does not go on anything in my bathroom.
My hair is shoulder length. I was thinking maybe just getting a cap for highlighting and just coloring what I pull through, so my grey will not have such a strong horizontal line. It will make it easier for recovering from hip surgery, too.
How did you transition your hair?
 
I stopped coloring my hair a year ago and am happy with the gray, but I hate it when it looks lank.
Grey hair is the best! I think I stopped coloring my hair at least 10-15 years ago and aside from saving tons of money I think it also looks better.

I found that my grey hair changes color a bit depending on the shampoo. Sometimes it looks like light blonde highlights. I’ve had random people ask me where I get my hair colored. Lol.

Basically I call them God’s highlights.
 
How did you transition your hair?
Good question...... It’s been a long time but I think my hair wasn’t all that long and I did highlights for a while and then just bit the bullet and at some point the hair just looked like it was tipped in the dyed color. I don’t think it ever looked weird. Your hairdresser may have some suggestions too.
 
@VSlowLife
@ceezee
A year ago I went to London for a few months to help my sister, who has stage 4 colon cancer. I decided I didn't care how I looked. Because my hair was blond it wasn't all that noticeable. When I came home several colleagues and even family members said it looked the same! So if your hair is dark I recommend blond highlights to start. Which shampoo do you recommend, geezer? I was going to the salon every three weeks to keep the color tip-top. What a relief not to worry about that anymore. It took about a year for the complete transition.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom