• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Lucy's Recovery

HipLucy

Country
United States United States
Well here I am with my right hip replacement (posterior) behind me but the tough part ahead. I got my one night in the hospital but I'm being discharged today. The night in the hospital was heavenly, but when I had to move from the bed to the chair I really suffered. Same with going to the bathroom. I had a catheter during the night so no bathroom trips. The OT came, and I now dressed. I have one more session with PT. Even with 10 mg oxycodone walking with the walker is a bear.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:
Welcome to Recovery and Congrats on your new hip! I'm sorry you're off to a bit of a rough start. It certainly will get better. You will quickly become comfortable with transitioning from bed to chair, chair to standing etc. What feels overwhelming initially usually feels more comfortable within days.

I'm not sure if they've provided ice for you while at your surgery site, but if they haven't, please begin using it once you're settled into your own space. It helps greatly with pain and swelling.

You'll find the Recovery Guidelines below. Try to take the time to read through them as I believe you'll find the info beneficial.

We're here for you, so stop by often for advice, support and encouragement.
Wishing you comfort and safe travels home. Hope to hear from you soon!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi:Glad to see you on the healing side and home too.
I know I was anxious when they decided to send me off.:unsure:
But it really IS the best place to try to get comfy and get your meds on time.

First days were really hard for me, and I just got through it with the All Temporary mantra, meds, and loads of icing and elevating.:ice:
Try to relax and roll with it for now.
Healing hugs @HipLucy:console2:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@HipLucy everyday gets better starting now! Get that icing and elevating going. It really does help. If you medication isn't working for you call your family doctor. Since your hospital stay was very short you really didn't have time to get that pain management cocktail just right. Your meds might need a bit of tweaking.

OP
OP
H

HipLucy

Country
@Jaycey thanks for the tip. I made it through my first night at home and must say that getting out of bed this morning was somewhat less painful than yesterday morning. That's all I ask: a little improvement every day.

ForumUser

Country
HipLucy,

You will see massive improvement in fits and spurts - when you take the first assisted step and it doesn't hurt, when you take the first unassisted step and marvel.

Don't overdo it ... be careful.

My regimen was simple: get to the sofa, put pillows under op leg rotating it upwards a bit, put foot over the edge of the sofa to relieve pressure, wear something thin and balance the silicon pack (you should have two so one will always be frozen) right on the op area with a towel over it for insulation (you want the area to get cold), wait 60 minutes, slowly get up and wander about for as much as is comfortable, hit the bathroom, wander about, look out the window knowing you're gonna be out there in a few days, wander about, back to the sofa for some reading or TV, then elevate and ice ...

You will be amazed how quickly - think a few days - you will feel better, sleep better, and start thinking about transitioning to a cane ...

About PT - don't. You can do some basic exercises on the bed, but just keep focusing on walking while elevating and icing.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
That's all I ask: a little improvement every day.
You won't necessarily see progress daily. Try to look for improvement weekly, I think you'll best realize advancement that way. I used to take stock on weekends. I'd remember what I was or wasn't doing the weekend before and realized I was gaining ground...moving forward.
Yay! :yay: You're on your way!

OP
OP
H

HipLucy

Country
Fell asleep for several hours in the late afternoon and evening. I slept right through the time to take my pain pill, so getting to the bathroom was an ordeal. And I didn't make it in time. So glad I was wearing an incontinence pad! It's the first time I've needed it, but it helps to know that if I don't make it on time I won't be using my reacher/grabber to clean the floor!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well, the nice long nap sounds great, but the the long walk to the bathroom sounds rough.
It happens in the beginning.. glad you had "back up" :heehee:
That was very good thinking on your part.
I hope you have a restful night.. you are managing things well. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
H

HipLucy

Country
Thanks, Ms. Cricket. One of the good things about having been a lifelong insomniac is that I'm thoroughly enjoying the fatigue. Sleep, eat, go to the bathroom, change out my ice bag. I left an out-of-office message on my office email saying I didn't know when I'd be back. I love my job, but I'm loving this totally different lifestyle too.

OP
OP
H

HipLucy

Country
I've been moving around with a little less pain today and even managed to make a pot of coffee. Now I would like to address lack of appetite and constipation. My last bowel movement was Monday morning, the day of my surgery. Is it normal not to have had one since then? I read the Bonesmart article on constipation. Yesterday I ate my usual steel cut oats, and today I ate about seven prunes. I will drink more water today since I can make it to the bathroom with less pain. I'm just interested to know how long others have waited. I have been taking Senokot twice a day but was wondering whether it would be OK to take magnesium citrate, which helped a lot after cataract surgery.

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Normal to have a BM vacation. It WILL happen and it might be big and sudden. Don't fret too much.. It was four days for me and then it was a biggie.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@HipLucy the lack of appetite is pretty normal, it will come back before too long. As far as BM, I would keep doing what you're doing, especially stay hydrated and it should work itself out before too long. Sounds like you're settling in to recovery and doing well, slow and easy, plenty of ice, ice baby and elevate!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello :wave:
I'm not sure if I'd risk taking both the Magnesium Citrate and the Senekot together in fear of ending up with the reverse problem. That's if you're still dealing with constipation. And if you are, some have gone longer than four days so please don't worry on that account.

Something that's been suggested on the forum is Pumpkin Puree' with Pumpkin Puree' being the ONLY ingredient in the can. ''Tis the season" for all things Pumpkin :wink: If you decide to try it, you can sprinkle it with Cinnamon if that sounds more appealing.
I hope you have a great Friday and a peaceful weekend!
@HipLucy

OP
OP
H

HipLucy

Country
Thanks for the pumpkin suggestion. I'll try it. So far I've tried lots of food remedies, including pouring blackstrap molasses on my steel cut oats (to which I added butter, because my mother thought lack of fat caused constipation). Last night I put bolognese sauce on home-prepared wheatberries. I even took a tablespoon of straight olive oil on waking this morning. Yuck. And I finally did take 200 mg of magnesium citrate an hour ago. We'll see. I feel OK. No cramping or bloating. It just seems the nurses who check on me are so darned concerned about constipation.

But the great news is that I'm having very little pain when walking, which is at least once an hour to the bathroom and to the freezer to swap out my ice packs. The Celebrex must be controlling the pain; I only need about 5 mg of oxycodone a day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carreg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom