Guest viewing is limited

THR Lucy's Recovery

@ceezee I was thinking about having a hair dresser help me with the transition. My daughter likes me looking “younger” with the dyed hair. When I did not have hip issues and worked out, people thought we were sisters. With bad hips, that will never happen again.
My mom did not stop until my dad passed away, when she was 86. I can’t imagine going that long with dying hair.
@HipLucy I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I have a sister-in-law who is stage 4, breast to brain. It’s a terrible journey. How wonderful you could spend so much time with her during her journey.
A long time ago I was strawberry blonde, and now I am barely salt and pepper in the front, plenty of white on the sides, much darker in the back, like most folks, if I did not color my hair. I have a super white, concentrates area near the front. It will be an interesting rainbow of silver, super white and a darker color. I just consider it unnecessary work compared to caring for my hips.
 
I stopped dying my hair when I started going gray in my mid to late forties. I could not stand the roots constantly showing and I have (had) dark hair. I also hated the idea of chemicals going into me and the time and $$ involved. My hair was a bit longer then to my shoulders. My one step is to use shampoand conditioner for grey hair so it does not get to look dingy and yellowish. Right now I use Clairol Shimmering Lights. I get a lot of compliments on my hair. I also read that many young women are actually coloring their hair grey. I figure I was just ahead of the style curve for grey hair.
 
@VSlowLife I think your hair would look beautiful if you let it grow out natural. I don’t care if I look younger, I just want to look the best I can. Grey and silver hair does that for me.
 
Thank you @ceezee. I just do not want a solid line showing a drastic difference. My friend went bald from chemo, and then never wanted chemicals again, and I am really liking her short, naturally grey hair. She has done very well, by the way.
I suppose I will speak with my hairdresser about a gradual transition.
 
Day 11: Countdown to first post-op appointment Monday. Did the stairs by myself (using cane) and got my mail in the building lobby. Then used walker to stroll around the garden of the beautiful Episcopal church across the parking lot from where I live. All under the watchful eye of my big sister. Didn't sit on the bench in the garden, though, because it rises only to below my knees. Any tips on low seating? Has anyone gotten stuck having to use a low toilet? These are the things I think about now. How the mighty have fallen.
 
The low toilet issue is a big one. Luckily for me, I knew where the "good toilets" were from having a sore hip for a while prior to surgery and planned my trips and outings accordingly.
I found, for myself that I could put my hand on the toilet seat and push off that way while pulling on the safety bar on the other side. Not pretty and avoided that little stunt whenever possible.

My mother bless her heart, if we took her out, we literally carried her riser in a fancy shopping bag that came from a boutique, It was so pretty and hid the riser perfectly.. hahaha
my sister and I had some good laughs carting that thing around.
 
we literally carried her riser in a fancy shopping bag that came from a boutique, It was so pretty and hid the riser perfectly.. hahaha

Now that's funny! :rotfl:


Hello and a Happy Saturday to you!
Best wishes for your first post op on Monday. Write a list of questions and bring an extra set of ears if you're able. Especially if you have several questions. It's easy to forget when you feel hurried and those appt slots feel slim at times. It sounds like you're doing really well and I'm sure that will be confirmed on Monday. Enjoy the weekend!
@HipLucy
 
Thanks @Layla. Fortunately my surgeon is very good about answering email promptly, and that's our primary means of communication. In fact, that's why I dropped the first surgeon: he didn't answer my email. And thanks to Bonesmart I don't have many questions for my surgeon.
 
I know day-by-day progress reports are discouraged, but I like to chronicle achievements. Today, Day 12, I went to my apartment's basement laundry room and did a small load of laundry then sat at my kitchen counter and folded.

Question: I was prescribed Celebrex 200 mg once a day after my surgery. Anyone else taking this and if so for how long? It's the only medication I'm taking now except aspirin for blood clots. I'm thinking once that's discontinued I can enjoy a beer. I've been taking NSAIDs since December so had to give up alcohol.
 
I know day-by-day progress reports are discouraged
Not at all HipLucy - post when you like. This is your own thread.
I was prescribed Celebrex 200 mg once a day after my surgery. Anyone else taking this and if so for how long?
Many of our members took this medication both before and after their surgery. How long - well that differs with literally every recovery. When you start forgetting doses is the sign you are ready to wean off your medication. It's very early days for you so I would not suggest going without any pain management at this stage. Perhaps talk to your family doctor about an alternative medication.
 
@Jaycee
Thanks for the pointers. I'll ask my surgeon Monday at my two-week appointment. I wasn't sure if it was for pain management alone or serves some additional purpose. I'm astonished and grateful for the lack of pain or swelling. Of course I'm a lazy one. Today will be the first day I've broken 1,000 steps.
 
On the 13th day after surgery my new hip said to me...maybe better just walk inside. We had heavy rain, and the sidewalks are covered with wet leaves. I'm terrified of slipping, even with the walker.
 
Hello @HipLucy
You're lucky you can communicate with your OS via email.
I would find that reassuring especially in the early weeks of recovery.
While BoneSmart can't take the place of our surgeon, or care team, it's a great resource for finding answers for simple questions that are non emergency issues. It's good to hear you walked inside. My 82 yr old mother recently slipped and fell on wet leaves. Didn't hurt either hip replacement, but broke her ankle. Stay safe indoors until it's dry outside. :)
A great evening to you!
 
Good decision to walk inside! We have wet sidewalks with slippery leaves today, too.
I can email my OS office, also, it's very handy. Funny thing is, if I call and leave a message, I never hear back. I think they prefer the email route best.
 
Saw my surgeon for two-week post-op checkup today and got my 30 staples out. She said it's OK to take the Celebrex only as needed. That's the last of my prescriptions. Do I see a cocktail in my future?
 
Ugh! Thirty staples :yikes: I don't know why but the idea of staples always freaks me out. Reminds me of Frankenstein every time I read it.
I think ditching those barbaric things sounds like reason enough to tip one back in celebration, if you're safe to do so. :martini:
Have a good one! You're on your way. :yes!:
@HipLucy
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom