TKR LTKR April 1 - bending knee hurts

I'd wait and take today off to give your knee time to recover from the extra activity yesterday. That always worked best for me.
 
Thanks Jaycey and sistersinhim! I think I'll mostly lie low for today as I'm definitely sore after yesterday, and my ROM seems decreased.
 
ROM has decreased because you’ve swelled a bit more, which is normal. Don’t get too hung up about your ROM, it will come in time as you heal. It will continue to fluctuate until you are fully healed.
I think I'll mostly lie low for today
Don’t look at this as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. (Sorry if I already told you this, but if I did, it’s worth repeating. :heehee: )
 
I don't know what the area your living looks like, but I lived in a suburban neighborhood and walked down the street trying to go one house farther every day. When I finally made it halfway around the block I knew I could make the whole circuit. It pays to be the turtle not the hare.
 
Ah, Skibikehikedude, I totally relate to your outside in nature being your happy place! In my case, this outside focus took the form of knowing birds, so if you take me outdoors in the Pacific Northwest, I can identify birds by sight or sound... grew up Back East, so know some there, too... for me, birdsong is my daily antidote to stress!

So, like you, I can’t wait to be able to walk outside again, hike in the woods or down by the river again.

So, I certainly get it! My first new knee, new almost 5 years ago, was rock solid and fir the first year or so, I did hike, help lead woodpecker trips, etc. I led one in summer of 2019 and realized the right knee (one I just did) was no longer able to keep up in the rough terrain, so that was the knock on the mental door to get ready for this next knee...

I’m sure you will look back and realize how well worth it this time of patience will be!

And this is the BEST place to come whine! We all get it and have been there and support you!!
 
BBCG, couldn’t have said it better! This will all be SO worth it in the long run!
Where in the East did you grow up? I’m originally from NYC (the Bronx!) and after several moves have landEd in the beautiful Arkansas Ozarks to retire.
 
Thanks all!

BBCG, thanks for all of your support. How is your latest knee doing? I never learned much about birds, but even without knowing what I'm listening to I love the sound of birds singing in the trees. I'm sending healing thoughts your way. To you too Sisterpat!

I took it easy yesterday (no walks) and did lots of stretching and massaging of sore tissue on my calf and thigh to try to loosen everything up, and went to bed feeling pretty good. Unfortunately I rolled a bit in the night and was woken up by pain in my knee joint that felt like my lower leg had been twisted one way and my upper leg the other, with the joint between the two grating against itself. I didn't sleep well and today my knee aches more than it has in a while. Ugh.

I don't know if I should just rest, try to walk, or what. No matter what I do my knee seems to ache and not improve.
 
You are still SO EARLY in recovery SkiBike! If your knee aches more today, you know the drill: ice, elevate, medicate and rest it. Up to the bathroom, etc is enough exercise for you today! There is microscopic improvement each day - it will be evident suddenly one day down the line when you realize, hey! this knee doesn’t really pain me much anymore. Or gosh, I can do (fill in the blank) which I haven’t done for ages. Try for patience. I know it’s rough.
 
My PT and I tried to figure out what is going on with my worsening knee pain at our session yesterday, and came up with a good hypothesis. He noticed the my joint pain has been worse ever since I accidentally kicked a hard object, and that my pain issues occur at night while sleeping, and then carryover to the daytime. He doesn't feel that walking more actually did any (or much) harm, but instead that I am rolling around in the night so that my knee ends up in awkward positions, causing the knee joint to hurt and wake me up. Last night I wrapped my knee with an ace bandage to try to limit movement in the night and then set up barriers around my leg to keep me from rolling. It worked! I did wake up with minor pain after a small movement, but I minimized movement and was able to avoid the sharp pain that has been waking me up. So, I started the day in less pain and with less swelling today. He feels if I can limit movement at night for a week or so my leg will heal enough that this won't be a problem after that.

He also told me to follow the 10% rule: if you feel ok, increase your activity level but by no more than 10%. See how you do. If you feel worse, cut back. If you don't feel worse, you can increase another 10% the next day. Sounds reasonable to me.
 
The elevating wedge I have has a trough cut into it, to fit one leg. That kept me still at night, I think I only came off it once! I do believe tossing and turning can cause a lot of painful disruption to the early healing process.
 
The elevating wedge I have has a trough cut into it, to fit one leg. That kept me still at night, I think I only came off it once! I do believe tossing and turning can cause a lot of painful disruption to the early healing process.
Did you buy it like that, or did you cut it yourself? That sounds perfect for me.

Edit to add: Just ordered one online. I feel so much better today after limiting my movement last night that this seems like it might be the ticket to better healing.
 
Last edited:
It came like that. My hospital sent it home with me so I don’t even know what brand it is or where to get another one. I did call the hospital a couple of years ago and they were not the least helpful about giving me information about it. I did find some on Amazon but none of them had the same dimensions that mine has.

Many members like the Lounge Dr. but it doesn’t have the trough.
 
Hi SkiBikeHikeDude,

Ah, yes, I had one of those blue wedges with a trough in it, too, last time. I'm short, so it was a tad too big for my leg, so this time, I'm using one of those pillows that's foam, and has a trough in it down the center, that you'd put your neck over so your head ends up in the trough... kinda like a soft "C"? So, my leg rests in that pillow's center trough, then I have a platform bed that I can raise the bottom of so my leg's at an angle in the air, above my head a bit. Hard to describe!

I'm glad you can give your new baby knee better protection at night! It is kind of important, I've found. Today I told my granddaughter that my knee has extra radar around it to protect it from getting hurt, so she had to move back; she was too close! But, at night, we can't be as protective, so the wedge, or a pillow series, etc. helps! Is ure hope it helps you SkiHikeBikeDude!

So, I like that the ace bandage worked initially for you, and I might have used one last time to hold an ice pack on at night, as I think about it. But I also do protect my new knee when sleeping, too. I don't let the cat in my room, for instance... put it on the special pillow, etc.

And, thanks for asking! I'm doing quite well, not that I'm 5 days in... Last time was a bad nightmare but this is so much better! I do think I'm allergic (or very sensitive) to the opioids so I'm totally avoiding them and doing the Bonesmart method of Tramadol and Tylenol! It works! I'm now stretching my doses out to 3.5 hours, and plan to go to 4 hours within the next few days, if it works out to still keep the pain down.

My leg is quite swollen, so I have lost the 87 degrees of bend in the hospital, but I know it will come back once the swelling decreases. I'm icing most of the day and night, using the ice machine in the daytime until it gets warm in the afternoon and then switching to ice packs, elevating on my recliner all day long.* Got my books, some tax stuff to finish up, my computer board so I can work on that, and a window onto the bird feeders, so it's really quite pleasant! Really nice weather here so I want to go take a walk, but it's too soon, I know, too, so I'll be patient!

Got my first PT session in the morning, so I hope this person isn't a pusher to meet certain standards. We'll have to have a talk about that if she is! I'm curious to meet her as she was recommended by my regular PT who knows her. My reg. PT is on the Colorado River this week, rafting it and watching for Condors!

* Now that my friend is gone, I have to rely on my husband to carry the ice machine and he has had strokes, and has a balance issue, so I'm trying to not make him have to carry it too many times as I don't want him tilting over! He's got a good sense of humor, though, so we can laugh about it... about to turn in now so gotta get the ice making happening! Good rest, SkiBikHikeDude and I hope your leg does well tonight!
 
BBCG, not sure what kind of ice machine you have but I left my machine in place and would just carry my frozen water bottles back and forth to the ice machine and swap out. I bought a bag for my walker and would carry them into where the machine was. I had 12 water bottles. 4 in the machine, 4 drying and 4 freezing at any given time. Also maybe a little wheelie bag might help your husband...like a suitcase or laptop bag with wheels. When I had broke my ankle several years ago, I used a cheap plastic chair on wheels to move myself and items around. Where there is a will there is a way lol. Lots of time on your hands to think and be innovative lol.
 
I like it! We felt the frozen water bottles were not as cold as real ice was... so, we can go back to that idea, and maybe that makes sense at this point... I’ve got wheeled computer bags as you mention so it could easily work... my ice machine (borrowed this time) is a Breg Polar Cube, so it does fit 4 water bottles in fact... will discuss that with DG tomorrow, although we have 5 bags of ice from ones Sue bought while here to help...
 
I had another rough night last night, waking up in bad pain again at one point, and just uncomfortable many times in the night.

I saw my surgeon today and he said he really thinks my issue is standing and walking too much. As many here have pointed out, he mentioned all the stress the bones and soft tissues have gone through and said it seems my knee just needs a bit more time to heal. He suggests I cut way down on walking and standing until I start to heal a bit more and I can sleep through the night again.

After not going for a walk for several days, yesterday I did a short walk around the block, and also ran some errands and did some shopping. I guess I can't do any of that for a bit yet. I'm scared of going to sleep at night right now, so I guess I need to heed his advice and try to get things to calm down.
 
I agree 100% with what your surgeon said.

It's only just over a month since you had this major surgery and you are doing too much. Your knee is letting you know that, by giving you pain at night.

yesterday I did a short walk around the block, and also ran some errands and did some shopping. I guess I can't do any of that for a bit yet.
Have another look at this article, to see what level of activity you should be doing at a month post-op:
Activity progression for TKRs

I found for a long time - several months - that I could do one additional activity per day without consequences. So, for you, a walk around the block one day, small errands another day, and shopping (with help) another day. All three activities on one day is just too much for your new knee.

Joint replacement is major surgery and you can't speed up recovery. You might even slow down recovery by doing too much. In terms of a race, this recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, so you need to pace yourself.
 
I tried sleeping in the bed last night, just couldn’t last past 1:30, then trekked out to the recliner. It is so FRUSTRATING to not be able to sleep in the bed.
Sounds like you and I are both overdoing it, SkiBike! Went shopping yesterday, mostly stayed in the car, but still too much, I guess. A big learning curve here!!
 
Yeah, it seems crazy that I did too much yesterday as I didn't really do much. While I was walking it felt great. The walk made me feel better every step, and I wasn't sore or tired afterwards. But, clearly, it is too much. Sigh.

I'm sorry you overdid it too, Sisterpat! I hope you can sleep in a bed soon!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom