TKR LTKR April 1 - bending knee hurts

Wow, woke up with knee pain this morning and it is steadily getting worse, and I definitely have some more swelling. I didn't do much yesterday so I have no idea why it is flaring up. Walking is pretty uncomfortable today so I guess I'll just lie around and ice and hope things improve.

I had pretty much decided not to go on my lake camping trip on Thursday, but this settles it - I'm not going. It is so bizarre as I've been getting better and better every day, and now suddenly it really hurts. It is my IT band or something over there that hurts. The swelling is on the outside lower part of my knee and this is an area that has swollen up on occasion over the past few years. I've even had it drained periodically. Could whatever caused that still be affecting me post TKR?
 
Sorry to hear that ~ so many ups and downs in this recovery. You don't want to be a long way from home or medical care should something happen on the trip.
Maybe taking a longer break between exercising will help. It seems like trial and error in developing exercise routines. You never know when you've done a little too much until a couple days later. The fact that you can physically do the exercises is encouraging; maybe cut back a little.
Good luck.
 
SkiBikeHikeDude, I completely get what you are going through and I hope you feel better today after some icing and resting.
I have had problems with my IT band and hamstring before surgery and of course they we’re giving me problems after, also calf muscle is a big issue for my new knee.
I think the ligaments and muscles also need time to adjust to the new knee, seems like everything is out of place sometimes, but icing and giving it rest usually helps. It’s so hard to just let go and let it heal on its own. I question myself constantly about what I could do more to heal faster. Wishing you all the best on your knee journey.
 
Thanks gardenplotter. I just read your thread and it does sound like we have some similar pre-existing issues. For years I've had pain going up steps that I now recognize as IT band pain.

Saw my PT this morning and he tried some dry needling in my hamstring and lateral quad (?) to help with IT band tightness. I feel a bit better today but still not great. my PT thinks we just pushed a little too hard on Monday and that caused this flare up. Hopefully another day of rest and ice gets me back on track.

The good news is my post stretching ROM was up to 130 today, so even though I had more swelling my ROM increased, not decreased. The bad news is I am still far from recovered and I'm once again missing out on a fun family adventure. My wife and kids took off for Leigh Lake in Grand Teton National Park without me today.
 
My wife and kids took off for Leigh Lake in Grand Teton National Park without me today.
I know how much that hurts @SkiBikeHikeDude. It sucks. But even though this recovery lasts MUCH longer than we would all like, in the long term you will be able to enjoy an active life, pain free for your foreseeable future!
 
Are you getting any massage therapy? That helped me a ton. And I'm a huge fan of the Wave tool. It's available on Amazon.

[Bonesmart.org] LTKR April 1 - bending knee hurts
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm a huge fan of the Wave tool.
Note to everyone, when buying anything from Amazon, please consider going through Amazon Smile.

If you choose to make any purchases through Amazon (not just this item, but anything you buy), sign up for the smile.amazon program. This allows you to have Amazon donate a small portion of your purchase to BoneSmart. You pay nothing extra! You get products you want and we get help to keep BoneSmart up and running. Here is a link to smile.Amazon:

About smile.amazon

Be sure when you sign up that you designate our parent non-profit organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM). Any funds go directly to BoneSmart through them and you are allowed to take a tax donation deduction.
 
Homemadesalsa, I do home massage with some CBD cream, and I use a Hypervolt massage gun. I've even gotten in a hot tub (that was only about 90 degrees) with powerful jets. They all seem to help. My PT, who works with Aileen (I've met her and she is great) also does Graston scraping and gentle manipulation. Maybe I need to try professional massage.

My knee is improving, just not as quickly as hoped. I rode a bike outside again yesterday as I was away from home and couldn't access my bike trainer. It felt good but the knee started to ache a little after about 4 miles of very slow riding, so I stopped. I rode about 5 miles all told and feel fine today. I have some clicking in my knee when I walk but otherwise it feels fine and no longer feels like strange when I walk. I think I just need to ramp up activity super slowly with very minor increases each day or week.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom