Guest viewing is limited

LTKR - 25th November - support really welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SuperSnapper, Yep, both knees. The LTKR is scheduled for November 25 and if all goes as expected, two weeks out from that surgery, I'll get my surgery date for the RTKR and they will order what they need for my right knee at that time. So, my surgery will be about 4 weeks from then, sometime around the 1st or 2nd week of January.

--It takes about 3 weeks once they put in the order for the manufacture to make the parts from my cat scan -- cutting jig, etc.
 
@eldon What plans have you got for your new knees? I find looking forward helps. We have a 4 day trip to Venice in mind and then a train journey into Switzerland to a small place called Scuol to a hotel we've stayed at x2 before where we plan to stay for a week. The scenery is wonderful and the hotel has access to what the Swiss call a Wellness centre with a load of different pools outside and in with jacuzzis. The outside pool has great views of the mountains. There are great walks up into the mountains. I wasn't able to walk as much as I wanted last time we went. Perhaps next time it will be better. It's really helping me to focus at the moment. Here's an image from a favourite walk.
[Bonesmart.org] LTKR - 25th November - support really welcome
 
@SuperSnapper what a beautiful picture! Sounds like you are going to have a great time!

I'm more of a local homebody. We usually spend our springs and summers on one of the nearby lakes:kayak:
relaxing and doing some fishing :realing: Large mouth bass and small mouth's. I'm hoping I'll be healed enough to get from the dock into the boat and be able to stand up some balancing with the waves to fish. I'll even be happy if I can just get into the boat and fish a little sitting down! Hey, a girl can dream! :) Have to see where the knees are. I definitely don't want to get into the ODIC

Realistically, I'll be as happy as a clam just getting into the boat and lazing around the lake to the movement of the waves (which is just as enjoyable), watching hubby fish with my legs propped up on the bow with ice packs! And maybe squeeze in a cast or two!

I'm thinking about getting a stationary bike. I've been looking at an upright one with the moving handles (to exercise my arms as well).

I had a recumbent one, but really didn't like it. Being short, it bothered my back and tailbone when I pedaled. Even with the closest setting, I could just barely reach the pedals to do the full circle. And, it felt like I was just sitting in a chair instead of being on a bike!

Trouble is, they take up sooo much space.

I don't want to go with an actual bike as we have nothing but hills and a lot of blind curves in the area roads, so it really isn't an easy or safe place to ride.
 
My first dream is to be able to walk around our local botanical garden, new camera in hand and to be able to actually spend some time taking photos without constantly looking for a place to sit! Next, walk the beach in Pacific Rim National Park next summer. Then ,on a bigger scale, when I'm reeeeally mobile, is to celebrate our 50th on a Danube River Cruise. For that, I want to be able to walk on cobble stones, so it might be in our 51st year ;-)

Had my pre-op day today (I posted it on my thread) so now I can relax, finish up projects, label things that I'm taking to hospital, etc. It's getting close.
 
@eldon the balancing in a boat to stand up and fish at the mo would be a nightmare but next summer there you'll be reeling in fish after fish.it sounds very tranquil. The bike thing is tricky when you are short. I'm only 5 foot 1 so can sympathise.at the gym I have the shortest settings for everything. I love cycling but the roads here are vety busy. Last year we had the Tour de France start in our area. It was fantastic. For once the sun shone for the whole weekend and Yorkshire looked at its best. Everyone turned out to watch the race - 4 million people in two days and every little town and village was decorated with flags, flowers and painted bikes. All the pubs in one town translated their names into French for the days!
@Threads you made me smile with the bit you wrote about looking for benches! That's me too! I loved the idea of the Pacific Rim walk too sounds Awesome as the kids say! Wow! 50 years! We just made 43 so a bit to go yet. I hope you manage the cobbles- I am sure you will. With your two new knees you'll find them easy peasy.
 
@Wilma @Minnie's knees , @eldon Picking up on the discussion on Wima's thread. I think we're all scared of the pain but some people seem to feel it more than others. I am hoping to be one of the "others" but we shall see.

Better day here today after the rain of yesterday - so British talking about the weather but at this time of years as the days get shorter, it's good to have some sunshine for a few hours !

Just planted some spring tulip bulbs so hoping that when they are in flower, we will all be running around. In March we went to see the Tulips in Holland and got some ideas for planting very close together in a box. So I bought an old wine box from Oxfam and Mr P painted it blue and now it's full of red tulip bulbs. Hope it looks as good as the ones we saw.

I've just done the last of my gym sessions for the week. Always feel better when they are over. I think they are doing me good and rowing and cycling is so much easier than walking even if I do limp afterwards.

Lazy afternoon in store for me I think.

Have a great afternoon, morning, evening wherever you are in the world
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, I noticed in the limericks that your surgery is coming up soon this month and I wanted to stop by and wish you well. Hope everything goes smoothly and that your pain is managed. I actually had my year celebration last month. Everyone heals different and in their own way and time. I still have times of stiffness and have had some set backs, but I also have RA and that has put damper and has caused some set backs in my progress and healing. But in spite of everything, I am still here. You will do just fine. Pain meds, Ice, elevation, and you have had the benefit of being a part of bonesmart before your surgery. You will be just fine. Have a good and blessed day. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@Threads, also well wishes to you as you have a surgery coming up this week. Best of everything to you. I give you guys much credit to have both knees done at the same time. Good luck to you. @SuperSnapper, I love the photo you posted, what a beautiful place to look forward to walk through. Best of wishes to you both. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@chestnc what a lovely kind message you sent. I was very touched by your words. I'm glad to hear you are doing ok inspite of your setbacks and your RA. My friends daughter has it and I know life can be a struggle some days. Glad you liked the photograph. It's a part of the world we love - so quiet and unspoilt. I really want to be well enough to go in late May or early June when all the Alpine flowers are blooming. So something to look forward to.
Bonesmart, and all the great people on here, have been a Godsend. Thanks so much again for the message.
Mary x
 
I have also had issues with nsaids and am now only on Tylenol 3 pre-op. I would not take them if I didn't have to but without them my limp is so bad that I strained my Achilles on my good leg. I am going to wean myself off two weeks before surgery because when I had my scope done in June and had been taking Tramadol for 6weeks, they said I needed a lot more pain meds because my body had gotten used to it. I realize this has gotten off topic but has anyone had this issue?
 
@SuperSnapper I also have had days lately where I wonder if I really need it. So weird how the knee can suddenly feel fine, isn't it? two days ago I had one of those days and I paid for it yesterday because of course I walked a lot more than normal. I have learned fro other's stories and my personal experience that it is temporary and will always come back
 
@kvhundley like you I have been worried about pain meds as I said in an earlier post and trying not to take any at all but I do have the odd day when I take them. My doctor also prescribed me Capsaicin cream which is not a NSAIDs. I know I won't be able to put it on until my wound heals fully ! but plan on using it after the first month or so for additional pain relief. It's made from chillies so you have to take care with it ,avoid eyes etc but some people have had good results with long term pain relief with it. You also have to use it for quite a period before it works apparently. Might work on your Achilles if you ask your GP about it. I've had long term Plantatr Fasciitis in the past , connected I am sure with my knee problems, and you have my total sympathy over Achilles pain. It's awful.
 
@kvhundley I think we've all been there when the knee feels suddenly so much better and you think is the surgery necessary. I have thoughts like that all the time but the knee is holding me back and I HATE the limping I do sometimes so ... It's got to be done. I find myself looking for benches, sitting down too often around the house. Not good. We'll all be skipping sound in 6 months - well maybe not limping and not in arthritic pain :happydance::happydance::happydance:
 
@kvhundley, yes I actually had the same thing occur when I was being seen by the anesthesiologist. I was on the Butrans patch for RA pain and the anesthesiologist said I needed to stop the patch right away as my requirement for pain management would be increased if I were on pain. The same with you and the Tramadol. I am no longer on the patch as it is so difficult to obtain.
 
@SuperSnapper - I think we are both probably less selective than we sound. Of course I look for benches, but failing that anything will do - a big rock, a low fence or wall, a fire hydrant - anything I can lean on for a few minutes ;-)
 
@SuperSnapper I wanted to let you know that your link to the UA3 National Organization led me to the Senior Studies Institute that is located quite close to where I live. How wonderful that a reference from the UK would lead me right to my own backyard! :) Once I'm well on the way to recovery from LTKR, I'm going to look into it further. Thanks so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom