LTKR - 25th November - support really welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27 that's such a good idea about a base. I am not sure where I will base myself. We live in a dormer bungalow with a guest room and shower room downstairs so may site myself there for a bit though I really prefer sleeping upstairs but from reading posts on here no one seems to get much sleep for a few weeks. wherever I end up, I will certainly use your list. Mat removal is also worth doing. I don't want to fall over on my new knee- that's what got me here on the first place! I was taking my class swimming ,,year 6, about 15 years ago. I turned round to tell off a naughty lad and smack! Tripped over two paving stones- straight onto both knees. Never been right since. I knew I'd really hurt myself cos the kids didn't laugh! They were horrified.
Mary x
 
As you are in 'prep' mode @SuperSnapper, here's a cheeky one that worked like a charm for me, especially if you use 'department store' skin care. Go to the counter of your normal brand (or read up on one you fancy) at a quiet time of day and buy something small that you will use later. Then give it the full whammy and ask if they can spare any sample tubes/pots for when you go in to have hospital. I use Decleor and went to my local big store and did just that. The poor girl asked me exactly what the op would involve, so I laid it on thick. While she was wincing, she asked how many days I would be in and gave me more than enough of all the products that I use. Result!

Most of the prep is logical - just do it while you are still thinking straight. To add to NM27's list, I emptied the drawers on my side of the bed and filled them with TKR supplies so they were easily accessible. Get loads of pillows stacked on your bed, these will be used for elevating, propping yourself up and when you can sleep on your side, you can wedge and prop the ouchy bits. And get your ice supply sorted - you will use tons.

I commandeered our bedroom, and left hubby to fend for himself in one of the others. I am a fidget at the best of times, he needs his sleep and I had a snore free zone! If you have a loo upstairs and down you should have no probs. I could go up and downstairs slowly with crutches from the outset. In the first few weeks I would wake and get showered and dressed and come downstairs. Stay there until mid afternoon and then have a top-up snooze for a couple of hours before supper. Your sleep will be disturbed, hopefully not from pain, but more from getting stuck in one position. It may take a little longer to settle down again, but I had no real problems with sleeping. It's all about getting comfy again once you wake up.

Get a pedi a week or so before you go in, the varnish will have to come off, but it will be some time before you can get to your tootsies again. I bought some packs of useful bed bath wipes! They are huge but brilliant. I could shower from Day 2 - and did, but I found the wipes useful for my feet and they would have really been great if I had not been able to get my leg wet.

Last bit of helpful advice - be prepared for your taste to go a bit out of whack afterwards and also 'knee brain' ie - it will be awhile before you can settle to things and you may well be a bit forgetful for some time.

Make the most of your last few weeks - anything else you want to know, just ask!

xxx
 
@dogwheels. I love your idea about the skin care freebies. I will give it a go! Lots of other great ideas in your post too. This is all really helping me prepare "mentally" as well as physically. I'm a pretty active person usually and exercise 3 times a week. I'm a keen photographer and do an art group, a singing group, I'm trying to learn German, and when fit go walking with a group every two weeks. Also I volunteer in Oxfam one morning a week and do some childcare for grandchildren. my time is pretty full and I am dreading the down time :banghead: I'm not sure how the patience will last out.

Last time when I had microfracture I was on crutches no weight bearing for 12 weeks- only outings were to physio. It drove me nuts! But I think now it will be more of an active recovery with lots of rest,ice,,elevation. I have learnt the mantras already:rofsign:
Have a lovely Sunday

Mary x
 
@Shellbell Tagging you here as I got told off for extra posts in the November thread - very politely and I should have read the rules.

I think you, me and @Wilma are all on the same day so it would be nice to keep in touch and see how we go on.

Hope your pre-op goes well

Best wishes
Mary
 
@SuperSnapper I am 9 days post-op. I have been able to manage pain with Percocet (has a different name in the U.K. and Australia), 1 tablet q4-5 hrs. I strained my back right after surgery, so I also take low-dose Flexeril (a muscle relaxant) q12 hrs. It seems to help.

I don't have CKD, however I am allergic to aspirin, NSAIDs, and Sulfa drugs. I am also pre-diabetic and therefore concerned about preserving renal function. I take Dulcolax stool softener 3×/day. Something like Dulcolax or Colace is unfortunately necessary when you take opiate pain relievers. I am hoping I won't need it after I taper off the Percocet. A friend is bringing bran muffins tomorrow. :)

Since I can't take aspirin, I'm on a newer type blood-thinner called Xarelto for 5 more days. During my pre-admission interview the screener nurse entered my drug allergies into the computer. Though I am not allergic to corticosteroids, I avoid them as steroids spike blood sugar (which, in turn, is hard on the kidneys). So I asked my anesthesiologist just before surgery not to give me any.

My OS seemed disappointed that I couldn't take Celebrex (an NSAID Cox II inhibitor), but my knee swelling seems tolerable. I could probably get more ROM if I had less swelling, but I won't take the chance of an adverse reaction to Celebrex.

^^All of the above is intended as informational only, and not medical advice. Be sure to ask your physician re: med concerns.
 
@Clipless how kind of you to write all of this when you knew I was worried about the meds. It's really useful information. You seem to be doing very well with minimal painkillers. So that's encouraging. I know Percocet is anopiate which will give good relief but many people on here are taking several additional meds. I can take Tylenol too as an extra and have been told about Xaralto at the pre-op.

Thanks to for the reminder about the bran muffins! I have already bought some tins of prunes! I have IBS -D so life will be a bit different post op! I hope your muffins are delicious and do the trick!

I think I am going to invest in a cryo cuff with a pump and am hoping with regular use that will really help with the swelling. My right knee will need to be done anyway so at least it will be reused! Are you using ice regularly too?

Here's hoping your recovery continues to go well and you can soon reduce the Percocet. What a nuisance to have strained your back too. Take it easy. And thanks so much

Mary x
 
@Clipless just googles Percocet and it also had Tylenol in it. That's something I didn't know.

The great thing about this site is not only the support which is wonderful but also the access to knowledge about everything to do with TKR.

Thanks once again.
 
Last time when I had microfracture I was on crutches no weight bearing for 12 weeks- only outings were to physio. It drove me nuts! But I think now it will be more of an active recovery with lots of rest,ice,,elevation. I have learnt the mantras already:rofsign:
Have a lovely Sunday

Mary x
You will be weight bearing right away with tkr, but will need a walking aid. In the US we usually do a walker to start and then a cane, but I think the in the UK you often get crutches. But energy level and discomfort will keep your activity down for a while.
 
@SuperSnapper I bought an Ossur ice machine/cryo cuff before surgery after a friend swore by it. I started using it in the hospital (my kids brought it in), however I ended up not liking it at all. It works fine however the tubing and everything gets "drippy" from condensation. I hate that, hence I haven't used it since I came home. I hope you love yours. I prefer large, reusable gel packs. My wonderful nurse gave me four (!) to take home. I simply store all four in the freezer, then use them two at a time. When there's no one around to fetch them for me I drop them in an old pillowcase for easy transport. I like how they become more flexible as they warm up, feels good, damp but not drippy.

The opiate-induced constipation has become a real annoyance. Now that I'm about 10 days out from surgery I plan to trial-stop the Percocet and see if extra-strength Tylenol is enough. Or maybe I will alternate doses for a few days. I only know I can't stay on Percocet much longer. Like you I have a history of intermittent IBS-D. This is the opposite extreme, and then some!

If you lived closer I would totally give you my slightly used cryo-cuff/ice machine. It even has an extra un-used cuff. Any of my SoCal peeps want one?? Come and get it!!!
 
Yesterday I was doing my usual voluntary work in Oxfam, sorting bags coming in and my pirate hat turned up complete with eye patch. So when my grandkids come to see me after my operation, I will have a parrot sitting on my shoulder, and I will be wearing a pirate hat and patch and dispensing gold doubloons ( chocolate coins)! Now the outfit is complete. This all came from the two seven years olds asking me if I was getting a wooden leg! I will post a photo come the day. I do hope they like it all. I know they will gobble up the choccie coins anyway:happydance:

Last year our Oxfam shop raised over £190,000 from stuff people chuck out!
 
to my UK Bonesmarties. How does your GP deal with post op meds? I forgot to ask at my pre-op but presume that the Orthopedic Surgeon does a discharge letter for the GP recommending continuation meds. I looked in my pre-op booklet and it says that the hospital only provides a "small amount " of medication on discharge.
So just wondered how UK Bonesmarties were dealt with over this as it seems pretty important to get it right! :chinstroke::chinstroke::chinstroke:
 
@SuperSnapper - Oh my! I had an email waiting for me when I returned from visiting my daughter today. The hospital has a cancellation for next Tuesday, 4th November and did I want it? I am in a quandary - I'm not sure if I am quite ready. What would you do?
 
The hospital has a cancellation for next Tuesday, 4th November and did I want it? I am in a quandary - I'm not sure if I am quite ready. What would you do?

I would go for it---get it done and get on with your life. Waiting tears at you---the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can reclaim the life that arthritis stole from you.
 
@SuperSnapper Oh my goodness, how I wish I would get such an email. I would jump at the chance to move things up and get on with the business of recovery. Of course, you need to decide what is best for you...emotionally, logistically, etc. Whether you move it up or keep your original date, you have my very best wishes.
 
@Wilma well, what a surprise for you. I suppose the question is what do you need to do to be "ready"? Was it actual things you needed to get in place or mental readiness? If its the former can you fit that in between now and next Tuesday? And if it's the latter, I don't think you are ever mentally redy for something like this as its a new experience. If it was me, I'd be tempted to go for it but it's not me. Lots of luck and all my best wishes whatever you do but let me know. But if you go for it, at least you'll be feeling lots better by the time it's C
 
@Wilma I responded to @SuperSnapper when I meant to respond to you! :) Anyway, I would jump at the chance to move my surgery up but realize how important it is to do what is best for yourself. I think much of our successful recovery depends on our mental attitude so only you can decide when you are ready. Whatever you do decide, know I'll be supporting you along with all of our fellow Bone Smarties. Best wishes!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom