LTKR - 25th November - support really welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here I am icing my knee which has been really sore this afternoon after a stint in Oxfam today. Perhaps I've over done it or maybe the knee is just getting a bit worse! I have a new pain , stabbing and really quite nasty. However it has motivated me to order my Cryo cuff, thing to help me get off the loo and a high stool for the shower. Bring on the operation, SuperSnapper is ready to go. Oh just a small matter of organising Christmas carpets etc.
 
@SuperSnapper , having had other surgeries you probably already know about "extras", but I'll say it anyway; extra pillows (both firm and soft), and extra throw blankets. Place these in your hangouts so you won't have to keep dragging them around!

Do UK knee patients go home with wheeled walkers? I did, and I found it useful to jury-rig a bag for small items. Accomplished this with duct tape and a small paper sack (classy!). Other accessories include cup-holders and meal trays, but I managed without those. The lovely pink floral walker pouch I ordered from Amazon.com arrived the day I graduated to cane, so I never used it. I will keep it for my other knee!
 
@Clipless not sure but I think I get crutches and have been told to use them for 6 weeks after until I see the surgeon. I've sorted out pillows and throws but I did have a trolley thing after my other surgery so I could wheel stuff around. I think it went to a charity shop - that was dumb of me! It would have been useful. It's amazing how you work out how to do stuff on crutches. I became an expert mover around of things like the laundry! I think my patience is the thing I really have to stock up on.:gaah:
On a practical level I am really lucky as my husband will be here a lot and my daughter and one son and their families live near. They will help out a lot. I'm very lucky in my kids and in-laws. My daughters mother in law has recently moved near and has offered to help out if I need anything.
Thanks for all the suggestions. This site and all the people I have "met" are brilliant. I'm so glad I found you all.

Mary x
 
Just found your pre-op thread @SuperSnapper. With all the wonderful photos you have taken, why haven't you chosen one for your Avatar :wink:
 
@Threads I just haven't got round to the Avatar photo yet. Promise to get on to it :wave:
Just had a really busy day. Tidying, ironing, window cleaning,baking and looking after my two grandsons after school. Then went to German class for two hours. So now I am catching up. There's a man at my German class who walks so badly, has osteoarthritis and is really anti knee replacements. He won't have one as he says he won't be able to play tennis anymore but his knees kill him after playing and he can barely walk. I'm going to give him the Bonesmart URL and see what he thinks.
Hope you are doing OK today - not long for you now :wowspring:

Mary x
 
You are having a busy day! I'm having a down one. I've got two projects I want to finish before surgery and a warp to plan and get on my small table loom. I can weave on that without the use of my knees. I've run into anti-knee replacement people as well but often I think they have heard horror stories from people who have passed judgement on their own new knees too soon. People who just waaaaay overdo and think that more is better and give themselves a rough time at the beginning. One friend was a crazy over achiever and was back at work as a nurse in the ER far too soon. If you asked her about her knee in the first months, she was a very unhappy person. However, a year out she was bouncing around able to use her boundless energy easily.

I think one thing we'll have to remember is to be patient with ourselves!
 
:yes!: @SuperSnapper, I noticed that shot on your Flickr page. They are a beautiful pair and standing so proud. Where did you capture that shot?

My avatar is a piece of fabric that I "painted" with Shiva Sticks - it's waiting to become the cover of a travel journal.
 
@Threads I think it was Bristol zoo but it could have been Chester. I don't know what Shiva sticks are but I love the colours in your fabric. They are so soft and natural. Do you work in wool when you weave your pieces? We took our granddaughters round a woollen mill in Bradford recently ( part of an industrial museum ) and they were able to see all the stages from natural wool to pieces and had a go at combing and spinning. They really enjoyed it all but those Victorian mills must have been dreadful to work in and from such an early age.

Quieter day today as I overdid it a bit yesterday but some house work and just done an hour in the gym. My knee is definitely getting worse so it's the right time. However my quads and hamstrings are stronger than before so that might help after the op.

Off to see some fireworks tonight as it is Bonfire night here!
 
@SuperSnapper - Shiva Sticks are oil based crayons. You create your design, let it sit for a few days and then fix it with heat and it's permanent. I liked how that piece turned out looking 3 dimensional even though it's a flat piece of cotton!

I weave with cotton, silk, bamboo, etc. and sometimes a bit of wool or wool mix. We don't get much snow here, just a lot of rain and wet wool isn't nice. I just finished weaving a cashmere scarf on one loom and have a silk one on my big loom. I spin wool though and I used to buy fleece and do the whole process. Skirting, cleaning, washing, carding or combing, dyeing and spinning. Nowadays, I take shortcuts and use commercially prepared fibre.

Celebrations are interesting around the world, aren't they? You celebrate Guy Fawkes Day with bon fires and fireworks, the fireworks happen here on the west coast on Halloween but growing up in Eastern Canada, we had them on Victoria Day. The U.S. has their Thanksiving towards the end of November but ours is the second Monday in October. Anyway - off to get my final pre-surgery acupuncture treatment.

Have fun tonight!
 
Keeping things going is so important and I really enjoy photography , hence the online name, but haven't done much lately.

And here all along I thought you were a turtle lover... :rotfl::loll::rofsign:

I like to guess about the names people pick. As you can tell, it's very easy to guess in a very different direction!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@eldon I never thought of the turtles! Just like taking photos! I do have one of tortoises mating but that's not quite the same! :rotfl:
Why eldon as your online name?
 
Fairly quiet day today apart from the excitement of my Cryo Cuff etc arriving! MR P pointed out it might be a useful wine cooler on picnics later!
Went to my singing class this afternoon. It's called "Anyone Can Sing" . After 4 sessions, I think we have conclusive proof that that's erroneous! However it's quite good fun. It's a U3A group. We have a brilliant U3A in the town nearby offering lots of activities for retired people. U3A stands for University of the third age. Not sure it exists anywhere else apart from the UK. So far I've enjoyed Art Appreciation classes, a walking group, a Crime Readers group, singing and a digital camera group. All for a tiny fee. We've also had a wonderful 5 day trip to Holland with the Art Group. Great fun and I've met some lovely people.
Should be Camera Club tonight but my knee is sore and it's gym tomorrow. I was limping nicely today - will be sooooo pleased to get rid of that!

Have a good night/ day whichever side of the globe you are!
 
@SuperSnapper, for the origin of my user name, this is the story.....

We had this raccoon in my avatar visit that tree on the woods quite a bit, enough that my hubby called him his raccoon buddy. He actually took this picture -- he also likes photography.

We live back a long private road, and our house sits back into the woods and the habitat reminds me of fairy and elf houses with the flora and fauna. When I saw this picture, the raccoon kind of reminded of an elf peaking around a tree. I like watching the Big Bang Theory on television, especially the character, Sheldon, and since the raccoon reminded me of an elf, I shortened Sheldon's name to make it sound elfish.

Long story short, meet 'eldon' the raccoon elf! :heehee:
 
@SuperSnapper It could be that there is something like that here and I'm just unaware. I do intend to do some investigating because it sounds like a splendid program. Everyone of the activities you listed are things I would jump at the chance to join. Might be a project to start on once I pass through the "dark days of recovery" and have to fight off boredom before I actually return to work.
 
@SuperSnapper and @sandbar525 - I think we should make UA3 an international organization- we could use it here in Canada too. I spent my day with some of my textile buddies working on a Shibori project. It will be something I can work on during recovery and I think and hope I'll have lots of visitors to break the monotony.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom