Lounge Doctor

LTKR - 25th November - support really welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knitter4444

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I also have CKD but I am under the care of a nephrologist. I believe I have it from my excessive use of NSAIDS before I knew better. I use Dilaudid for pain relief.. No contrast for MRIs.. And I personally keep tabs on my blood work. I recently had surgery and the surgeon ordered meds that I would not take. He looked at my labs and they are near normal do everything looks great NOW. But in 2012 they were lousy. Surgeons just look at the recent tests. You know your body. Stand up for what you feel is right.

OP
OP
SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Knitter4444 thanks so much for the reply. I've had CKD since my first pregnancy 42years ago. That was when my high BP was discovered but No one ever said don't take NSAIDS until recently! So I did take them now and again but never heavily. Now I take nothing unless forced but I guess no choice with this operation. My BP is great , really well controlled as is the CKD. Your advice about the blood work is good. I totally agree with your comment about knowing your own body :):)

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
Aren't we lucky we can have this done. Years ago people were just crippled and in pain.
They were indeed. I well remember the sound of my nan's knees when she tried to stand up. Sounded like gears that needed oiling!

OP
OP
SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

post-grad
Country
@referee54 thanks so much. I've already learnt such a lot reading posts on here and all the information in the library. I have my pre-op on Tuesday this week so fingers crossed.
Been going through the " my knee isn't so bad, do I really need to do this " stage, today and my knee has coped well with two busy days out taking my son who is visiting round some good photography places. But ... My knee is shot , this I know, and sooner is better than later. I also have cysts in the bone on my other knee so that's on borrowed time too. But it's good to know there's a support group here for us all.:flwrysmile:

referee54

omega
Country
My knee is shot , this I know, and sooner is better than later.
That is the right attitude to have. I am glad that I did not wait---I was able to get on with my life---to reclaim it from arthritis---and I was pain-free.

Too often, many folks write, "Why did I wait so long?"

The sooner you get this done, the sooner you can back to truly enjoying and savoring what means the most to you.

referee54

omega
Country
That pre-op is a little on the nerve-wracking side---I was also nervous and my BP, for that reason, was up a little bit, too.

You are taking those steps, though, and soon, you will be on the "Other Side"---reclaiming the life that arthritis stole from you!

Knitter4444

Forum Advisor
Country
@SuperSnapper.. I would never ever touch a NSAID again ever. There are other drugs out there today. I have been on hydromorphone (Dilaudid) for a long time. For me it works.

OP
OP
SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

post-grad
Country
@referee54 - thanks for the visit. My BP and I are old friends - white coat hypertension sucks! But it wasn't too bad . The physio at the hospital was going on about 4-6 weeks window of opportunity to get full movement back but I know from all the reading that I have done that that is not strictly true. When I get out of hospital I have found a great physio who advocates a gentle approach so will go to her. On a good note, both physos think it will be possible to get back to the good range of motion I have at the moment. Only 5 more weeks so a few pounds to lose , my own goal , before surgery.
@Knitter4444 you are right about the NSAIDs . I don't think enough information is given about how damaging they can be if taken by some patients. Since I was told not to use them, I've used paracetamol occasionally , is that what you have as Tylenol? But do try to use ice instead if my knee is really sore. I love ice! I have two large wrap around gel packs and am going to order some more before surgery. They do advocate using ice regularly at the hospital I am going to .

Isn't this site great? I feel I am not on my own. Many thanks to everyone involved.

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
Hi @SuperSnapper

Wow you've got a serious support network of people on here. This is so lovely that you are not on your own and people with the same/similar medical condition have been able to support you.

When is your operAtion date? Did you pass your preop? Xxx

It might be a nice to add your expected surgery date at the bottom of your signature, so everyone who visits will be able to wish you good luck on the day. It's surprising because people seem to come out of everywhere sending well wishes etc. It's really nice x x x x

Stay in touch whenever you want, please feel free to join in with the crazy coffee stop that is my thread these days. They're a really friendly bunch of people. It's not an elite clique, or anything like that, we jut all chat and welcome everyone is just so welcome.

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo

ridgetop01

Country
Hi @Wilma (and others) - supposed I should have tried to find some rules and then have read them, regarding talking on November thread - oh well! I had my pre-op yesterday too, nothing back yet, see primary shortly for his pre-op and EKG - so many tests/appts to keep track of!!!

OP
OP
SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

post-grad
Country
@bottomshollow @Wilma @,@ridgetop01 Suitably chastened I have posted on here!

Glad you have your pre-op over, ridgetop01. It's a bit nerve wracking but at least it's done now. I ended up at the GPs today with chest pains but have been before and she thinks it's reflux so now I have more medicine to try out. I already had an ECG and chest extra for it in the summer so maybe she is right. Don't want to have anything put off the surgery at this late date!

Was bored today after gym and made some rye bread - the best I can say about it is if anyone needs a brick, I have just the thing or maybe a good doorstop. But the fairy cakes turned out ok and pleased my grandaughters.

Wilma

Country
@SuperSnapper - glad to hear that the chest pains were caused by reflux. We don't need anything to put off the surgery date now! I have yet to have my pre-op assessment. Fingers crossed that they don't find anything to cause concern - I'm not expecting them to.
@ridgetop01 - hoping your assessment results are good too.
Roll on 25th November - I can't wait to get this behind me. :shocked:

OP
OP
SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

post-grad
Country
@Wilma hope your pre-op goes swimmingly and @ridgetop01 that your results are great. After advice from @dogwheels and more advice from @Nana moon 27, I bought some pretty cool slippers today - Padder ones from Amazon so I am almost ready. Thanks so much, ladies. Pity there are still 4 weeks to go for the " 25th November Three" as the waiting is tedious. And at least I'll have nice new slippers to wear now.:wowspring::yay: Now I know how my 4 year old grandson feels when he gets his new shoes!

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
Hi @SuperSnapper

The other suggestion I'd make to you is for you to create your own "Island" supplies. I did this. My bedroom was my island for the first few weeks to avoid the constant going up and down stairs to the loo. I had things like bottled water, magazines, books, kindle, iPad, snacks; eg low fat crisps, Special K bars etc. This way I didn't have to keep on asking hubby all the while for stuff after I came home.

Also, the night before your op, it would pay you to remove all loose mats, especially in the bathroom, they can be very hazardous, don't forget to remove small low furniture, such as low footstools. Just do a basic risk assessment around your home looking for potential hazards and deal with them straight away and you'll be fine. x x x

Oh and make sure you wear the slippers from now to break them in they need to be comfortable and easy to wear. That's a good excuse to wear them now lol x x x

I hope that this helps, please take care love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Coach Mike