Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 month 3 week update

I haven't posted for quite some time. Everything is going extremely well. I am experiencing periods of time when I forget that I had a hip replacement.

In terms of function, I do what I wish to do. I have been able to perform the following activities which would have been impossible prior to my surgery:

Drove 4 hours in car to professional conference, stayed at hotel, lugged my stuff around, attended conference, etc. this was in mid-September. I did experience some pain and stiffness from sitting in the car for so long, but went away with rest and medication. I was also still recovering from falling on my unoperated hip in late August which I think strained the operated hip and set me back a bit. Trochanteric bruise and groin pull on unoperated hip stopped hurting after about 4 weeks.

Brief hike in very hilly and rocky terrain weekend before last. Felt a bit sore afterwards, but more due to general lack of fitness than the hip replacement. Hip performed beautifully.

Cleaned out my garage and basement. Lots of bending and light lifting. Felt a bit stiff at times, but was able to work straight for 5 or so hours.

Able to walk up and down stairs and walk as I wish to without thinking about it. Can be in car for hours running errands

Can spend full days being active. Big difference from before surgery when I was only able to limp about for 3 hours or so and then would have to rest the entire next day.

I can try on shoes and clothes without being in pain. I can get dressed without being in pain.

I still experience occasional aches, particularly in the hamstring area of my buttock, but very manageable and goes away with a little rest and some OTC medication.

This surgery has been a miracle for me. I am rid of chronic pain which affected my mood severely. I am happier and healthier. I have also lost over 20 pounds since my surgery simply from being more active and less depressed.

I look forward to forgetting about my hip totally and to resuming all of the activities that I engaged in before my fall and acetabular fracture in 2005. Golfing in the spring, sailing, snorkeling, hiking, and just living.

Thanks to all who have supported me in this journey.
 
What a wonderful update, Eliza!! You are on your way and sound just great -- full of energy.
Have an awesome time as you resume all those fun activities and the normal living as well.

Take care and thanks for updating us :)
Cardie
 
Thank you Cardie and Dorothy. I have a professional luncheon tomorrow and than am heading with a friend to a cabin in northern Pennsylvania for a few days for the fall foliage and perhaps a little hiking and fishing. I hope to catch up with your situations/threads next week. Steeler game on Sunday !
Hope that you are well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
The best thing is that I am no longer counting weeks from my surgery. Had to study calendar to figure out how many months and weeks from surgery !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Great update Elizak! Please do keep in touch. So happy things are going well for you!
 
8 month 2 week update

Generally recovery going well. Have been having sciatic pain similar to that i experienced before surgery. Trying to do stretches for piriformis, but not enough internal rotation to cross operated leg over nonoperated. A little frustrated. Buttock feels very tight when I attempt the stretch.
Going to Belize on Nov. 24 to do some kayaking and snorkeling and I do not want to be in pain !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
I contacted OS office and they suggested I come in if still bothering me Monday. Hoping just a temporary strain. I have experienced this before and pain is not super severe but bothersome.

I have been doing many different activities in the last weeks that I was not able to for seven years after my fracture, so it is hard to tell which movement caused it ! Putting air in tires ? Hiking ? Cleaning ? Lifting things ?

I did get a refill of tramadol which should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
I had major pirifomis issues post op Elizak. Do see your OS if you are worried. But I found hamstring stretches (done as often as possible) eased things. Please don't worry - you will be fine on your holiday. Getting away and relaxing - a great prescription! Can I go too? :heehee:
 
Have a great trip and enjoy.. Your fun hormones are going to take over and you will enjoy, just remember ice or heat packs might be handy :)
 
Thanks Poppet and Jaycey.

I rested today and took tramadol and ibuprofen and pain is under control now. Restless night last night. Classic sciatica symptoms, from butt down leg to bottom of foot. Better than before surgery though as my hip does not hurt and my leg is not suddenly giving out on me. Feels better when I am standing or walking, unfortunate as tramadol makes me sleepy/lazy.

I am planning to see OS on Tuesday just to check that this nothing else is wrong and to see what suggestions they may have for treatment. I had similar problem two weeks ago after high activity over several days. Perhaps massage, definitely some PT as my operated leg is still much weaker and probably contributing to the problem.

Thanks again. I was really worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Dear Moderators,

Could you please change the title of my thread to "LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012" thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Dear Moderators,

Could you please change the title of my thread to "LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012" thank you.

Let's tag Jaycey; I'm sure she can change your thread title.

Sorry to hear about the sciatic pains & piriformis and I do hope the OS appointment will be helpful on Tuesday.

I wondered also, Eliza, if you have any LLD that you notice as you've gotten further out from your surgery? Maybe if there is some LLD issue it could aggravate your sciatic nerve or low back area??

Let us know how it goes.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Elizak, can you pull your knees into your chest? That's a great piriformis stretch. I still can't cross that op leg to the opposite side so used knees to chest and straight leg raises as well. Changed your thread title for you!
 
Hoping you are feeling well enough for your trip to Belize!!!!!!!:)
 
Hi CMac,

Yes, I am going to Belize. I am determined. I cancelled my OS appointment as tramadol and ibuprofen calmed sciatic pain enough for now. Am well armed with pain meds, foam topper for mattress, etc. very remote place, so no microwaves for heat pack and ice can be in short supply. Still have bothersome pain in back of thigh where hamstring attaches, I think, right at crease of buttock. I think due to not enough activity. Bit bearable, certainly compared to before surgery.
Can't wait to get into that warm clear water and do some snorkeling and floating around.
I will see OS when I get back to get advice on strengthening/stretching muscles. I probably need some targeted PT.
thank you for your good thoughts. More later. packing !!!!
 
Awesome news, glad that you are feeling better and have all your coping strategies lined up.
I'm sure that water will be therapeutic in many ways.

Enjoy yourself,
Cardie
 
Thank you Cardie. It has been quite a journey since me fracture in 2005 and then finally the replacement in March. Looking forward to getting on a kayak. Hope that I can. I will certainly try. Next trip, scuba certification. I am a tiny bit nervous about being in such a remote place. But trying to be courageous. I also have excellent travel medical and evacuation insurance.
Thank you again for your good wishes.
 
Cardie,

To answer your previous question regarding LLD. My legs seem to be the same length now. Prior to surgery I had over one inch difference, leg with fracture shorter, which caused pain and limp . Now, everything seems even.
I am going to try to go barefoot as much as I can on my trip, something I could not do before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Update from Glover's Reef Atoll, Belize

Arrived here a week late, but managed the big and little planes and 2 hour small boat ride fine. Have been snorkeling, riding in and getting in and out of small boats with no problem. Also walking in sand. Some muscle aches, but getting back into shape slowly. Hard seats still bothering me a bit.

Really glad to be here using my new hip. Very beautiful. Loving the snorkeling. Saw a nurse shark. Staying for another week.

Best to my fellow bonesmarties !

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom