THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, one year checkup, a bit late

Saw Os this week. Great news ! Everything looks perfect on x-ray. Nothing has moved, bone has joined to implant, etc. I am very happy and relieved. For some reason I was expecting bad news.

Discussed pain in back of thigh, and sciatica issues, also butt seems a bit caved in, like liposuction gone wrong ! OS first suggested MRI of back for disc problem, but when i told OS that problem was getting better, prescribed going to PT for 1 visit for exercises for tight hamstring and weak butt muscles.

I asked if there was anything that I should not do. OS said running and jumping, meaning, I assume that I should not take up jogging as a hobby at this point. No loss to me.

I am now getting ready for my return to Belize for 2 weeks of snorkeling, kayaking, and hobie cat sailing.

Before my appointment, I was remembering my first appointment a year and a half ago. I was in so much pain that I could barely walk from the car to the office. The x-rays were torture. Trying to find a comfortable spot in the examination room was impossible. I was in pain in all positions, sitting, lying down, standing, walking was the worst. Now I am most comfortable standing and walking !!! Yay !!
 
@Elizak

Nice update! All sounds like life is moving forward for you. Well deserved too after all you've been through. I'm SO looking forward to getting back in the ocean, I'm hoping my OS will give the ok to at least wade about if he lifts the weight bearing restrictions, can't see any harm.
 
Hi @speciallady,

Thank you for your good wishes. Compared to your journey, mine is a walk in the park. But we both know how impossible even that can be when a hip is not functional. I wish you the best now that your hip has been repaired correctly. You will be in the water in no time.

Wading in the sea sounds like hydrotherapy to me !! And then floating and swimming....

After my fracture in 2005 it was 6 years before I was back in the ocean due to inability to travel and pain and being disabled.

I wish that I had had the surgery earlier, but being uninsured plus family illness/death made it difficult. The US health system can be tough. No doctor was really interested when i was uninsured and did not qualify for medicaid. Lost years when such a simple solution was available. Finally here now, though.

We will both celebrate in the sea with our repaired hips !

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi special lady[/USER]

I tagged you by the wrong user name. I think that it is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
special lady[/USER]

I feel that the ocean, whether one is in it or even just looking at it, has special healing properties. I wish all of that for you.

I am so fortunate that I will be engaging the ocean so intimately in the next weeks. It is a very remote spot. Last time I was there I saw three nurse sharks during one snorkel. It was fantastic and awesome in the true sense of having awe.

I will post pictures if I can (Internet not really up to graphics) but certainly when I am back in a few weeks.

Next goal: learn and perform deep water kayak disembark ?? And re entry. Looks like lots of twisting hips and hands.

Best to you

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Just realized looking back through my posts, unoperated hip is no longer making clicking sound. How easy to forget !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
The best thing, though, is that my OS grins when he sees me ! Even as he is chiding me for cancelled appointments, he is so happy for me. He said it is a new lease on life and I said new life. We talked about my trip to Belize, his friend has been there, and he was happy for me to be able to go.

The first time he saw me he said I saw you walk and it is not pretty. He then did physical examination and the hip did not move much and hurt quite a bit as he tried to move it. the x-ray made me feel sick. he said "Do you want to cure this ? " And then set the date for the THR.

I hadn't realized that a THR was even appropriate for my situation. The last doctor that I had seen (2006) mumbled about difficult reconstruction, etc. and was amazed that I could walk with so much damage, so I kept on until finally THR in 2012.

But, it is great, every time my OS sees me now he just breaks out into a grin (even after i fell on the unoperated side). And so do I.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
I'm lucky to have the ocean right here, for now I can enjoy taking in the ocean breeze. Sharks are really amazing to watch. Only once I felt a little uneasy, it was a little one compared to the hundreds of others I've seen, but it was rough and a little murky...and instead of it swimming away like they normally do this one was swimming right along side of me. I was close to a sandbar, so needless to say....it was my refuge...haha

I've never been to Belize, but have been told it's beautiful. That would be great if you can post some photos! Do you have a underwater camera? The new one's that you can pick up fairly cheap work very well, and it's so fun to take p underwater pics.

You will have a great time there! Look forward to seeing pics....I'd say have a great time, but I know you will...:)
 
Yes, I have a Nikon cool pix underwater camera, good to 33 feet. Still learning how to use it, but I can take video as well.

My snorkel guide last time I was at Isla Marisol in Belize took some fantastic pictures for me. I still need practice, but what better way to practice than to be in the beautiful waters observing sea creatures.

I am getting a bit nervous. I used to travel extensively, even weekly for business, but seem to have lost the habit. So, trying to pack. At least I know my hip will not let me down ;-)

I will be following your progress Special Lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
special lady[/USER]
Poppet

I did take this picture of a beautiful trunkfish or cowfish as it is called locally. They move in an odd back and forth way.
[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
How neat! It bears some resemblance to a sea horse.
 
Have an awesome trip Eliza!!

I am glad you are feeling well and that you discovered that your hip is no longer making that clicking sound :yes!:Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Poppet

Thank you I had a fantastic time. It was fantastic to be able to travel and be in the water again after so many years. It is another world, so relaxing, like a meditation.

I am planning another trip in May. Thinking if finally getting my scuba certification. Feeling that I am strong and confident enough now!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Go forth and get your certification.. It is an awesome activity :)
 
That is simply awesome! I'm going to tag Josephine because I know she'll want to see that photo.
 
Thank you alexthecat it was an awesome experience. Hip totally forgotten while in the water. Poppet


Stayed in third floor condo, no elevator, hip was fine, other parts became tired though.

Danced like a maniac. Kept up with all. Again, hip no problem, other parts yes. Working on getting in better shape overall.

Hamstring pain disappeared while I was gone, now back. Lack of activity I think.

Best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
special lady[/USER]
Pic of me with nurse shark on my most recent trip to Belize. It was a feeling that I will never forget.
[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012
 
Sounds like it was a great trip and what an awesome picture of you with that shark!! :)

You GO girl!!! When's the next trip???

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom