Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elizak,
I'm just catching up on a lot of the threads and journeys! I LOVE your rant! After going through my second hip replacement, being relatively young (40's), in decent shape, etc. I'm still amazed and slightly annoyed by the "oh, I was walking 12 miles after 4 days". Obviously, I'm exaggerating and hopefully those posting great accomplishments are just doing it to encourage others.
On a separate note, I love the idea of the veggie tray! I sent cupcakes to the nurses/PT at the rehab center where I spent 5 days post-op. considering the healthy food aspect, I'm sure they would indulge in the veggies a little more! Good luck on this journey to full recoverery:)
Dee
 
5 month update-wow-20 weeks !

I haven't posted for quite a while, but wanted to catch up a bit.

I am now at the point that I feel substantially better than before my surgery, both in terms of pain and functionality. In fact I am starting to have days where I feel nearly as well as I did before my fracture in 2005.

Things that I can do:

Walk quickly up and down stairs
Walk at a normal pace
Squat and get back up
Wash the bottom of my left foot, even between the toes while standing in the shower
Put my sock and shoe on and tie laces
Stand without pain for longer than the former 10 minutes
Shop without having to use a cart
Dance (although left leg a little out of practice)
Jump up and down (a little) when I won a game of darts
Play pool without pain
Walk my dog without fear that he will pull me down as I feel stronger and more stable
Engage in sexual activity without pain
Dance a little more
Drive in car without butt hurting
Sleep on operated side
Go for several days without taking any pain meds-OTC or otherwise
Buy regular shoes as my legs are now the same length
Wear flip-flops without feeling pain from lack of support

I am working on the hula hoop !

Negatives:

Some days I do get pain in my groin and back top of hip area, usually the day after I've done something that I haven't done in a while. This is usually easily resolved with only one Advil and a little rest and does not last.

Small area of inner thigh is still a little numb, but this is decreasing steadily.

I do not have anything like full range of motion, especially with external rotation, but due to 7 years of not really using my leg, I think that this is to be expected and I have also noticed that it is improving.

Sometimes uncomfortable when sitting for long periods, but relieved by standing and stretching.

Squatting is possible, but not comfortable.

I can kneel but still have not mastered the getting up part without the help of a person or low table.

My motto recently has been if it hurts, don't do it. Try again another time. This has worked for me.

At this point I have resumed nearly all of my daily activities. I look forward to engaging in more strengthening through swimming and other formal exercise, but to this point have relied on my daily routine and many, many steps in my home to keep me active. I feel that due to the 6 years of inactivity between my fracture and replacement I need to work up slowly to more intense activity.

I see my surgeon in mid-September for I assume final check up and will report back then. For now, I am enjoying living with a working and relatively pain free hip.
:)
 
[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012
update, Elizak! What an inspiration to new hippies this is---you really do get your life back and it is all good! So happy for you, and it WILL keep getting BETTER & BETTER.
 
That's a pretty good report!!!!! Especially considering you were pretty inactive for such a long period of time. Celebrate!!!!!!!

Dorothy
 
Great update! The good news is you will continue to improve for a long time. Your moto is something I post quite often here. Just keep trying. One day it's hard and the next you're there! Well done!
 
rider1960 said:
That's a pretty good report!!!!! Especially considering you were pretty inactive for such a long period of time. Celebrate!!!!!!!

Dorothy

Thanks Dorothy,
I have been celebrating. Perhaps too much. Totally forgot about my hip after I won 3 straight games of darts and found myself jumping up and down. No pain, no damage, just my body being able to express itself in its full physicality again. Wonderful feeling.
I know that you will get there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Moderators. Is it possible to have a separate section in recovery regarding sexual activity ? I feel that this is crucial to mental and physical well being after THR.
I have gone through the various threads discussing this issue, but I feel that they should be combined into one. This will allow more input and discussion about what works.. It is a delicate subject, but one that I am sure many have questions about. If we can discuss catheters and bowel movements, surely this can be discussed as well, not just referred to old threads.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Eliza,

What a wonderful list of accomplishments you have shared. You sound like you are doing so well and at only 5 months out from your surgery with a pretty extensive list of hip issues that brought you to THR. Your range of motion sounds fantastic and I bet it will continue to improve over the remaining months of the year for you -- I hope that your external rotation will improve in time too. :thumb:

Good to know that Ben is out there on the leash and having a good time of it with you. I thought of you a few weeks ago when I took my badly behaved Margaret on the leash and it worked out ok (always helps when we don't see any other dogs!):puppysmooze:

Good job on the darts and the celebratory jumps as well :happydance:

Take care of yourself and it's nice to know you are getting back to so many of the activities of normal life!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Elizak

Isn't it great when the good life starts to return. I am so pleased for you :)

Hoola Hoop... Wow! Haven't heard about those in donkey years.. Fantastic.. Go girl !
 
22 week quick update

Everything is getting better and better. I still have some stiffness and muscle pain, but totally manageable. Many days I take nothing for pain.

Best news. I went to Steeler game on Sunday and then out to play some pool afterward, so it made for about 10 hours out and walking. No pain. Which is so amazing. I did get a bit tired at times, but so what !!!! So much fun that my body is working again. I am very grateful that I was able to have this surgery. New life.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012
Terrific update. Sounds like you had a really good time---these man-made hips are good stuff!
 
Thank you.
I also did some dancing !!
So a little sore today. But so worth it. A year ago I would not have lasted more than about 3 hours. And would have had to rest the entire next day.
Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
I had muscle pain in BOTH legs, so due to my prior inactivity, not just THR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
That's just GREAT!!!! You're getting back to the things you enjoy. That's what this surgery is all about.
 
Early 6 month update due to nasty hard fall on unoperated hip.

First the good news. Implant and bone graft all look perfect. Everything in the right place and attaching and growing as it should. Hurrah ! I do not need to see my surgeon until March 2013 for 1 year checkup. No restrictions of any kind, although he did suggest early on that I avoid activities that involve lots of running and jumping. So no basketball, I suppose.

Slight bad news. I was walking my dog early Sunday morning, still dark, holding the leash in my right hand, and he saw something and took off ! I had already determined that I would drop the leash if this happened, but it was so sudden that I didn't have the chance and instead did some asphalt surfing.

The friend who was walking with me told me that I spun like a top and then slammed to the ground, very fortunately on my right unoperated side. Scraped my hand, forearm, and landed on my right hip and hit my head a bit. Very scary, I was stunned and lying on the ground. Upon evaluation, I was able to get up and get back home. Operated leg took no impact. Super lucky !

I was still in pain on outside of right hip and right groin on Monday AM, so called the OS office, and they had me come in Tuesday AM. My next checkup was to be Oct. 4, so they just did it then, and also xrayed my right hip.

Right (unoperated hip) is fine. I have a trochanteric bruise, which hurts, but will go away. Operated hip is perfect, no damage and healing very well.

So, recovering from my fall, but still planning to attend Steeler game tomorrow evening.

I will always hold the leash in my right hand in the future so that if I do not have time to let go, at least I land on unoperated side. It was a very frightening experience. Ben had not done anything like this before. It was strange to be limping on the "good side" but I am already feeling better.

Otherwise, still occasional hamstring twinges in operate leg, but better and better.

I am happy to have had the early checkup as I now know that the implant healing process is going well.
 
Scary fall! Glad it all checked out okay. Makes me feel very uncomfortable just thinking about it. Do be careful, Eliza.

Sharon
 
Thanks Sharon,
It was scary, especially before I was checked out by my surgeon. Also, a bit funny, confusion in the OS office, with assistant trying to determine which hip I was having checked out.
I told Os left hip and leg are great, but I fell on right. He just smiled and said what I put in looks great and the other hip is fine. I had the opportunity to tell him how active I have been able to be. He said it is like a new life, isn't it. I replied, it is a new life. Then we shook hands. So great visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Eliza,

UGH!! So glad to hear that both you and Ben are alright after that fall. What kind of collar/leash do you use with him? Is there something that would be more helpful in preventing him from a sudden bolt?? I know, most of us hate the prong collar, but would that help to train him???

You are brave, I am still big chicken on the dog walking -- I did do Maggie briefly once and all went well. When we were returning from vacation we had to stop at Wegman's (big grocery store) on the road trip in order to get lunch and let the dog go to the bathroom. I was with my son and feeling super confident because we'd stopped at the same place on the way up -- so I took Max. He pulls regardless of what is on his neck, we were doing great until he spotted a CAT in the bushes!! I did fantastic, didn't fall or dislocate my shoulder or cuss really loudly!!! It's a good thing we love our "bonus" dogs... :puppysmooze:

Your OS follow-up appointment sounds like it went great and I'm sure it was reassuring to see how nicely your hardware was healing into place! Have fun at the football game, bring lots of padding to sit upon and maybe a frozen water bottle for your trochanteric bruise if it's feeling achey.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Elizak

So scary. My guy is a 70 pound golden, and luckily super on a leash....except for those very rare occasions when he's not... In our case it was a rabbit. I should have been better prepared, paying better attention, etc., etc., etc...but I was enjoying the walk, the view, the day, my thoughts. Thank goodness I did not go down, just got jerked and pulled and forced to move much to quickly for several yards. Hips, knees, and back were all painful for a couple of days. Now trying a chest halter type arrangement, from back in early training days, and I think it gives me more control. Course he hasn't bolted after a rabbit again yet :). Like you, I tell myself I will drop the lead if it happens, but I didn't when it did...guess that habit is a hard one to break. Anyway I am so glad you are ok.

Suki
 
7 month 3 week update

I haven't posted for quite some time. Everything is going extremely well. I am experiencing periods of time when I forget that I had a hip replacement.

In terms of function, I do what I wish to do. I have been able to perform the following activities which would have been impossible prior to my surgery:

Drove 4 hours in car to professional conference, stayed at hotel, lugged my stuff around, attended conference, etc. this was in mid-September. I did experience some pain and stiffness from sitting in the car for so long, but went away with rest and medication. I was also still recovering from falling on my unoperated hip in late August which I think strained the operated hip and set me back a bit. Trochanteric bruise and groin pull on unoperated hip stopped hurting after about 4 weeks.

Brief hike in very hilly and rocky terrain weekend before last. Felt a bit sore afterwards, but more due to general lack of fitness than the hip replacement. Hip performed beautifully.

Cleaned out my garage and basement. Lots of bending and light lifting. Felt a bit stiff at times, but was able to work straight for 5 or so hours.

Able to walk up and down stairs and walk as I wish to without thinking about it. Can be in car for hours running errands

Can spend full days being active. Big difference from before surgery when I was only able to limp about for 3 hours or so and then would have to rest the entire next day.

I can try on shoes and clothes without being in pain. I can get dressed without being in pain.

I still experience occasional aches, particularly in the hamstring area of my buttock, but very manageable and goes away with a little rest and some OTC medication.

This surgery has been a miracle for me. I am rid of chronic pain which affected my mood severely. I am happier and healthier. I have also lost over 20 pounds since my surgery simply from being more active and less depressed.

I look forward to forgetting about my hip totally and to resuming all of the activities that I engaged in before my fall and acetabular fracture in 2005. Golfing in the spring, sailing, snorkeling, hiking, and just living.

Thanks to all who have supported me in this journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom