THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Eliza, well done for visiting the gym but what a shame it was in such a state, least now you know that things are not as daunting as you think they will be and that you can do it again, hope you find a new (and better lol) health club to go to.

What a feeling that must have been being able to put on socks and tie shoe lace for the first time in so long...I haven't reached that goal yet but know I will be elated when I do so I can imagine how wonderful that must have been for you.

I think the buttock pain whilst driving is quite normal. I am 16 weeks out and still get it occasionally.

I havent walked my dogs yet like Cardie as they are 'pullers' how lovely that you could take Ben out for a walk, that is therapy in itself methinks.

Take care and good luck with the PT

Ann
 
Ann,

Thanks for the reassurance about the butt ache when driving. I was worried that something was not right. I looked at Jo's healing time chart and it seems as if it does take quite a bit of time for the incision area to heal completely. Sometimes seems strange that the operation and hospital time can be so fast, but the recovery of the body much longer.

Dog Ben still pulls a bit but he is learning slowly. I am still a bit nervous about taking him out, so I avoid times when I think other dogs will be out. My neighborhood is surburban and mostly quiet. I have also resolved that if he really decides to take off I will drop the leash rather than falling. My other dogs spied a rabbit once years ago and I ended up flat on my back.

Getting the sock on and the shoe adjusting was a surprise. I supported my foot on the bed frame while sitting on the mattress which is higher. To tie my shoe, I put my foot up on the coffee table which is about 15 inches and bend my knee and lean forward.

Have you tried the coffe table ? I hope you are out with your dogs soon. One at a time ?
 
Cardie,

The dogs definitely seem to be in control ! Ben did pull me when he saw a neighbor, but he was so happy to be out and really tried to behave. I understand the part about not being able to walk fast enough. It is hard to really train Ben when my walking pace is so slow. One thing that he does get is stairs ! On the 12 steps down the street he goes a few steps then stops and looks back at me, waits till I get further down, then goes a few more steps. Totally backwards if one watches the Dog Whisperer, as he should be following me, not me following him, but works for now !
 
Wow, Eliza, as I'm sitting here one week post hospital release, I'm really inspired by your progress! It sort of sounds to me that you are about at the expected place at 3 months post-surgery! I would expect to still be feeling the occasional twinge at that point, and still navigating the restrictions as well. For myself, I cannot WAIT to be able to get back in the pool for some classes and just walking and splashing!
 
Deb, you are remarkably coherent and cheerful for one week out. At that point in my recovery, I was trying, unsuccessfully, to hide from the home Physical Therapist. It was difficult to claim that I was not going to be home for an appointment or busy :loll:
 
I feel that I should put a caution on my recovery. Due to the fracture, probably more accurate, shattering, of my acetabulum, my case is more reconstruction with a replacement on top. I am so pleased to be walking and sitting more or less comfortably now.
 
Hi Eliza, I just read through your posts and am so inspired by your progress! :)

Congrats on your shoes and socks, you must feel wonderful! I giggled about the gym; I too have just gone back after a long absence on the encouragement of my PT. It can feel intimidating, but I started with 3 upper body machines (read the instructions) and 5 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical. I have been building a tiny bit every visit. Gyms are a mixed bag, hopefully there's another choice where clean and friendly intersect! :giggle:

Ben is adorable! He must be so happy to be taking walks with you again.

Have a great day,:SUNsmile:
Tracy
 
Tracy, thanks for the sunshine. I needed it today. Yes, dog Ben is a big cutie, adopted from rescue shelter a year ago April. We walked last night and he was very good, minimal pulling. I can see how proud he is to be out for a walk with his human !! Like the other dogs in the neighborhood.

Thx for your support. I have been feeling a bit weepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
I would like to give a gift to the recovery nurses and the ward nurses, even though I was not there long, they got me out safely.

Any advice ? An edible fruit basket with the fruit on sticks and chocolate covered strawberries ? Or a cookie platter ? Or a veg and pastry patter ?

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Eagerly awaiting answers to your question, Eliza, because I'd like to do the same thing. Cookie platter would be good, but what about the diabetics? (Hahah, I know, in that way lies insanity! Pizza? But what about the lactose intolerent? :cheers:
 
I don't think you can cover every possible scenario for what a group of people can and cannot eat. Just go with something general--veggie and pastry gives you the best of both worlds--and most folks would find something in that mix they could enjoy. And even if some of them don't like or want any of it, they will certainly appreciate your thoughtfulness.
 
Judy is right....the thought is the most important thing. Be sure and include a nice note to everyone.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am still considering the edible bouquet fruit thing. Never had it, but looks great.

I am more than a little irritated with the I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and I din't even think about it now!!!

This is impossible. Just the incision would still be bothersome. Who are these people ? Ate they for real ????

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Elizak said:
Thanks for the replies. I am still considering the edible bouquet fruit thing. Never had it, but looks great.

I am more than a little irritated with the " I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and I din't even think about it now!!!"

This is impossible. Just the incision would still be bothersome. Who are these people ? Are they for real ????

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Or, even better, people who say they had no pain after second day in hospital. Come on !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Or, even better, people who say they had no pain after second day in hospital. Come on !!

Elizak,

Too funny, I have an uncle that had a THR about a week before one of my revisions, he was 77 at the time. He would call me and tell me how he never had to use a walker, crutches or even a cane... then about 6 months later he came down to where we live and I took my Mom over to see him, and he was using a cane. I think some how it must give a boost to the ego or something, I just don't understand why anyone would make it sound like it was a piece of cake with no pain, other then afraid to admit they are maybe "HUMAN" and not superman or woman!

I often send one of those "Edible Fruit" arrangements. I've also ordered them on holidays and for parties and I've never been disappointed in the quality, freshness, and presentation... the recipient's have also always raved about how great tasting and looking they are too! You can order the party size and it's plenty for all!

Glad your doing well and getting some great "pet therapy" did you know there have been medical studies on animal assisted therapy and it is proven that animals enhance the healing process. Just so long as your not out jumping horses or being pulled by some mammoth beast, and your aware of taking precautions while walking sweet looking "Ben" it's good for you to get out with him on those nice walks!
 
Hi Elizak,
I just read though your entire thread to get a feel for your journey and learn some things as well. (I pulled out some surprising medication info which I will ask Jo about later!)
I was also saw that you had a really bad 2005; I am guessing from a fall which put you on a ventaltor for 12 days. I am glad you survived that, but I can imagine all the damage your body is still recovering from. Also, that sort of physical trauma creates such emotional trauma within us, much of which is subconcious. You sound like you are doing a great job and have made incredible progress.
I hope you find a good health club that is pleasant and friendly. Have you considered yoga? They have something called yoga therapy which would be really good to learn how to stretch hamstrings and get up and down on the floor comfortably. You have to be careful not to get into one of the "jock" classes that are so popular now. Or see if there is any Kundlaini yoga in your neighborhood.
You know, I think there realy are people who heal really quickly. Everyone just seems to have their own pace.
Your dog is adorable!!!!
 
Hi Elizak, been following your thread and a good call to get back to the gym. Towards the later stages on my first THR rehab I also returned to the gym and found it to be a big help when preparing to return to work. After what our body has been through, we are pretty much forced to start rebuilding at ground zero. This forces us to gradually rebuild and retone our body at a slower pace, more often than not we overdue it and either have a set back or quit altogether.More importantly don't forget to rest and keep looking forward.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom