THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012
Elizak, it all sound so wonderful and just super that your new hip is making it the best vacation ever. ENJOY!
 
Hi Eliza,

What a wonderful trip update, glad all is going so well and maybe you've actually decided to come back to the states by now -- or maybe not.... :heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks Cardie,

I got back on Saturday. Pic is if me getting ready to snorkel. I did take a few days of rest during the two weeks I was away after overdoing it (swimming for over an hour against current) due to muscle aches, but had a fantastic time.

I was also able to handle 12+hours of travel which I could not have done prior to surgery.

Feels great to engage in my favorite activities again !

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012
    image-1568519906.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 151
Awesome!!! You look like you are in the middle of no where...

So, where's the next trip??????:)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks Cardie,

It did feel and was in a way the middle of nowhere. 36 miles by boat off the coast of Belize. Isla Marisol, Glover's Atoll. Fantastic sea life. On one snorkel I saw 3 nurse sharks.
First week nine guests, second week three. Many of my snorkels were myself and the guide, with no other boats in sight. So beautiful. So glad that I was able to return there.

Unfortunately having resurgence of sciatica problems, operated side. And left hip ( unoperated side) is also having problems, occasional pain and clicking sound. Right hip is structurally Ok. Maybe lingering problems from fall in late August.

I believe that my muscles are still weak in operated leg due to 7 Years of LLD and lack of movement.
For the New Year: see my OS and some targeted physical therapy, massage, etc., to resolve this pain.

A Happy Holiday season to all ,

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
One year and a little update

Hello to all my fellow bonesmarties !!!

I see my OS on Tuesday for one year checkup.

It has been a bit of a rough road, I think due to the structural abnormalities that my pelvic fracture caused and that I suffered under for 6.5 years.

Happy to now report that hamstring/under butt pain is gone most days. I can squat (really low, actually), put on shoes and socks, tie my laces, wash my foot in the shower. No longer a slave to ibuprofen.

The hip is functional. I can bend, twist, walk, do a quick jog/run if I have to, touch my toes, feel the bottom of my foot, climb into small boats from the water, cross my left leg over the right, well, pretty much everything I want to do.

Not perfect, I cannot sit cross legged and still have trouble getting up from the ground, but maybe in time. Left leg is still weaker than right, something to work on.

I will report after OS checkup on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Day 15 post-op quick update
Told me that because my leg had been so shortened by my fracture, muscles stretched and weakened when implant placed and leg lengthened, pain expected for about 6 weeks.
Was just browsing Elizak thread during the earlier days of recovery and this is the first time I have noticed a fellow Member with a leg that has been deliberately lengthened,
. The reason is different to mine but the process and outcome would be just the same I think. Mine has been lengthened 3cms due to congenial dysplasia but I'm presuming the Drs comment re 6 weeks pain would apply in my case too.
I'm also battling the tightness and ingeneral have more stiffness after PT...except for hydro pool where some of the stretches give great relief. Any advice re recovery where leg lengthening has been deliberat? Any advice Elizak? :scratch:
 
Hi there Elizak.. Looks forward to your update from appointment with your OS - hope you get answers..

Loved the photo of your trip, I am an internationally qualified scuba diver, so know the joy of being under water... A whole different world :)
 
Hi Maeve,

There have been other bonesmarties that have had some lengthening done, as OS goal is even leg length. These are usually people who have had some sort of structural abnormality, from whatever cause.

I don't think that my recovery instructions were any different from others. I did PT for first six weeks. Was prescribed 3x per day, but turned out to be less as when it hurt I cancelled sessions. I had to take care of myself and my dog as well in a property with lots of stairs, so I was getting plenty of activity early on. Too much, in retrospect.

If I had followed the Activity Progression for THR article, I would have had much less pain.

You are very early on and still recovering from the trauma of the surgery itself. Plenty of time later to worry about stretching, etc.

I found that it is a slow process for the body to adjust to the new geometry after surgery, but it does happen. Take it very easy, be patient and don't overdo anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Poppet

Thank you I had a fantastic time. It was fantastic to be able to travel and be in the water again after so many years. It is another world, so relaxing, like a meditation.

I am planning another trip in May. Thinking if finally getting my scuba certification. Feeling that I am strong and confident enough now!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Elizak,it's great to hear how well you are doing. Your trip sounds like a fab experience, no wonder you want to do it all again :)

Hope all goes well at your check up tomorrow

Take care

Ann
 
Thank you Anniepops

Just hoping that everything is still in the right place !! Will also ask about hamstring/butt pain and unoperated hip clicking, although I do not think this is anything serious, just more if my body adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Do you stretch your hamstrings? That seems to make a huge difference for a lot of people. And not just THR folks either.
 
Thanks@ Elizak. You are right about early days yet. It's so good though to be able to project into the future about how it might all be in 12 months by following your journey. Having said that I need to recognise I am 20 years older than you!! :thankyou:
 
Hi Elizak, that is awesome.. It was good fun getting my international scuba diving license, we mainly do a lot of snorkeling nowadays when we head to our coast house.. It is wonderful and peaceful being underwater, with just the noise of one's breathing... We see the most incredible tiny colored fish and there are schools of tiny fish which when ever I get into the water with hubby, they immediately swim and surround me... Hubby says... 'They have missed their mama' .

Good luck , I will be keen to see more photos - make sure you tag me, I am interested :)
 
Hi Eliza,

You sound great and I hope the one year visit with the OS went well and that all was in place correctly!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie,

Thanks for checking in. I had to reschedule to next week.

I am feeling pretty well. Hamstring/top of back of leg pain fading and more infrequent. Strangely, Ativan relieves it, which makes me think it is some type of muscle spasm problem.

I hope that you are well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Poppet,

Thank you for your support. I feel like it has been a long journey, but I did fall once ( on unoperated hip) and then had piriformis/low back issues for quite a while. Both of these kept me from exercising as much as I perhaps should have.

Heading back to Belize this month for two weeks. I plan to enjoy using my new hip in those beautiful waters. Snorkeling, of course, and am also arranging night snorkeling, kayaking, and hobie cat sailing. Last trip I was still having some issues and taking tramadol so kept it to light snorkeling. This time, I will be able to do much more and not have to rest as much. Very excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom