Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cardie,

Thanks for the post. I am actually returning for Lobster Fest, celebrating the opening of lobster season in Belize, on June 18th. Should be lots of fun, live music, dancing, and good food. And of course more time in the water.

I feel so blessed to be able to travel again. Also to do as I wish without my body stopping me. Walking in the sand, over rough docks, climbing into and out of small boats, dancing to fast music ! It is heaven !

I do have to go to work to make money in the near future, but for now, I am enjoying being able to travel and swim/snorkel without terrible pain.

This trip I am getting on a hobie cat. I was a little frightened because of the positions involved, but I have been released by my OS to do whatever I choose, so this time I will get over my fear and do it.
 
Wow what a fantastic photo Eliza, so pleased to hear your trip was soooo good. You are certainly living life to the full.

Take care, hope those hamstrings ease off again

Ann
 
Have a great time at Lobster Fest, that sounds yummy!!!!! You really like Belize, do you have relatives or friends that live there? Is it a nice tourist destination?

We'll be waiting on dry land for some photos of you on the Hobie, sounds like fun & I bet you'll do great!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Elizak, I am very interested in your next trip and your adventure with a Hobie cat...

We have a 20 ft racing Hobie - very fast wet boat that prior to my surgery we used in state championship racing, but sadly my surgeon who also has a Hobie told me emphatically, I could never return to that class of cat..

Do tag me when you return, I am very interested to read how you go - have fun:)
 
Hi to all,

Thank you for your interest and support. I leave This early week for another trip to Belize.

Happily, hamstring pain has most gone away. Without PT. I suppose it was just time.

I take a pain med (ibuprofen) perhaps 2 times per week, sometimes less, compared to entire bottles gone in a week.

In fact can't remember last time I took something for thr related pain. Such a relief. I was worried about all those NSAID meds, which was all that helped. Now I am freer. Still happens but not every day. Yay !!

Not sure of exact count from my surgery, has to be 14 or so months now.

Looking forward to the hobie cat and snorkeling and maybe a jet ski. Kite surfing may be in my future ;-)

I will report back.

Thanks to all my fellow bonesmarties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Have a wonderful trip Elizak, think of me when you go diving... I can't wait to retire and start all our water sports again.. Photos please!
 
Hi, I am back for some help and advice. Hip seems fine, but am having continuing chronic hamstring or perhaps sciatic issues at top inner back of thigh. The ischial area I believe. Still bothers me when siting which I must do a lot in my profession (2-3 hours at a time). This comes and goes.

Bigger problem right now is what seems to be piriformis issue. I stepped down awkwardly yesterday and now can actually feel swollen muscle mid butt near the sacral area and am in pain except when standing. Feels like a lump.

Is there something wrong with my hip implant ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your response. I suspect that you are right. Just worried a bit. Also getting pain in groin from a tight feeling tendon I think. Frustrated maybe. It has been a year and a half.

In terms of activity, no formal exercise, just daily activities, house with lots of steps, walking dog.

The real problem is the prolonged sitting. I have been at many meetings over the last month or so that lasted over two hours with no break and not the type of atmosphere where one can get up and walk about. I end up squirming in my seat and wondering how everyone else can do it. Some don't even get up for the break, so 3 hours sitting. Driving is bothering me too when I am mostly in the car all day doing errands, etc.

I have been icing yesterday and today and put a menthol patch on the piriformis area which seemed to help.

I am just wondering if these could be signs that something is wrong with the implant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Elizak, I had the same issues during my recovery. Sometimes the piriformis pain stopped me in my tracks! Read the articles Sharon left for you. Sitting on an ice pack does help along with some very gentle stretches.

The hamstring issue is also common. What I did (and still do to this day) are sitting hamstring stretches. Sitting in a chair lift your leg straight out in front of you level with the seat of the chair. Don't force it if you can't lift as far when you first start this. Then tilt your toes toward your body - very gently at first. This stretches the hamstring and releases the sciatic nerve. I do this exercise all day on both legs as I have sciatic issues. Please do start slow. Your hamstring can be very tight at first. Let us know how you get on!
 
I do think prolonged sitting is our arch enemy! I don't know what kind of work you do where you can't even just stand up and stretch for a few minutes during a meeting.....I can picture that those environments exist, but I also picture that if you speak with whoever is in charge, they will actually understand and approve. It is entirely possible that there may be others in the meeting who would welcome some relief in the formal structure. I am also thinking this may even be an ADA issue....with a doctor's recommendation backing you, you may have some clout.

With driving for errands, at least you are in and out of the car....moving. Perhaps a pillow could help with some of the pressure that forms.

But truly, for most of us who still have pain issues well after our THRs, this soft tissue stuff can be a constant juggling act. Be TOO active....you get in trouble. Be TOO inactive....you get in trouble.

More reading material for groin pain
Iliopsoas impingement after THR
Iliopsoas syndrome

It is possible that PT could be helpful, but you do have to be careful that it doesn't make it worse. I've had much better success with massage along with frequent shorter walks throughout the day. We're into the dark days of winter now, which is messing with my walking schedule, and I can feel the stiffness and pain creeping back in. Time for me to bite the bullet and use the treadmill available to me nearby. Sigh.

Sharon
 
Hi Sharon and Jaycey,

Thank you for your replies and references to the articles. I think that I have all three: hamstring, piriformis, and illipsoas (spelling). And associated sciatic pain. I am trying to stand most of today and avoid sitting.

My profession is in the legal field. Lots of meetings and presentations. More not appropriate to get up while people are presenting than not permitted I will start to sit in back so that I can sneak out for a stretch.

I made an appointment with my OS wednesday to get referred for PT and chiropractic/massage care. And some pain medication to get through this flare up. Problem is when it hurts I become less active which just seems to make it worse.

I had a similar flare up last year at about this time. Perhaps it is the weather and decreased activity.

I am making a list of the stretches and will start doing them gently.

Can cortisone shots help any of this ? I am job searching so it is keeping me from doing the things that I need to do in order to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
My question is should I consult another OS. Could this be from badly placed implant ?

Miserable today. Pain down to bottom of my foot.

Frustrated because it has now been over 8 years from my initial acetabular fracture (not treated surgically) then finally THR 1 year 9 months ago and still pain limiting my life. Will not be able to attend 2 events this week that would help in my job search (networking and gaining new skills/knowledge).

I have read some articles that indicate that THR following acetabular fracture not always that successful in reducing pain due to possible injury to sciatic nerve in initial injury and/or challenges with cup placement ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Picture of X-ray before

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012
    image-751536852.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 141
piriformis, and associated sciatic pain
Piriformis causes pressure on the sciatic nerve. It's not a separate thing. Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!.
I am trying to stand most of today and avoid sitting.
Might be better to get some chiropractic adjustments and massage.
Can cortisone shots help any of this ?
No they are not appropriate for these.
Could this be from badly placed implant ?
Most definitely not! Just soft tissue issues as Sharon said.
 
BTW, xrays posted as thumbnails are not readable as they are automatically reduced in size and resolution (file size). If you look you will see yours are in Kb instead of Mb. Not sufficient clarity. If you are going to post them, please use the "full image" option
 
Thanks for your response Jo. Going to try to see chiropractor tomorrow. Office also has massage treatment.

Noted as to the X-rays not posted correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Update. Saw doctor yesterday. Nothing really to do with my hip. Thank you for the support and suggestions anyway. Bonesmart is the best !

Diagnosed probable herniated disc based upon pain patterns and physical examination/movement tests.

Short course of prednisone, tramadol, and 3 weeks of PT.

Feel enormously better today and was actually able to get some sleep.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom