Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Thanks Toothfairy I will ask physio asst. on Monday when she comes re my `wandering`

Everything good today except the bloomin itch I've got just underneath the numb patch lateral side of scar and yes you guessed it because it numb I can't actually itch it! There is no redness or anything that looks wrong its just annoying - Oh well my mum always told me when a wound itched it was just it mending!

Shortie x
 
I think that is a good plan Shortie, probably nothing to be concerned about but best to ask.
Itches are maddening, especially ones you can't scratch. Hope it goes soon.
How is the healthy eating and exercise coming along? I am having a less healthy week this week, never mind, today is a new day. :wink:
Happy Sunday, hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you Toothfairy it is so difficult to be good all the time I have been healthy eating this week except last night (takeaway :yikes: ) although we shared a kebab rather than one each :angel: and meal out today as it is my OH's birthday so for me it will be tomorrow is another day - BUT..........

I have just ridden my bike a real bike outside!!!!! :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance: :spin: :yay:

It wasn't pretty and certainly wasn't far but I could do it - I must have looked like a mad woman one heel on one pedal, other foot as normal, wiggling my bottom all over the place and grinning! Lol it felt so good and TBH it was my good leg that did most of he work but it is such a big milestone for me I am so chuffed (and SO unfit!).

Shortie
 
I am feeling good :)

I have been for another bike ride today :bicycle1: I did 3.5 miles! It took me ages, I had a little rest at about 2.5 miles on a bench not because my knee hurt but because I am so bloomin unfit and puffing like a train and unfortunately I did sustain an injury :yikes: but it was only a chaffed bottom from my mad cycling style lol, (note: must buy a gel seat cover) but I feel so good to get out and DO something, I am resting elevating etc. and leg feels great.

I am still managing to go to sleep at night quite quickly and most importantly stay asleep all night. :sleep: A couple of weeks ago I never thought I would sleep well ever again.

I have also got my old Slimming World books out - in 2008 I managed to lose 5 stone 2 lbs with SW but due to lots of things not just my knee but knee was large contributer I have put all bar 6lbs of it back on :yikes: so I WILL NOT put any more weight on and I WILL lose weight again maybe not all of it but enough to be fit and healthy I will do it a bit at a time with mini targets so my first target is to lose 7lbs :)

I wouldn't say I am anywhere near recovered and really do expect to have to keep working at it (both the exercise and the resting, elevating etc.) for a long time but it does seem all good at the moment - I am expecting some hiccups along the way but I can honestly say I wouldn't be as anywhere as positive as I am at the moment without BoneSmart thank you all so much. To the moderators for such fantastic information and a kick up the butt when needed, to everyone who comments, to everyone who posts on any threads those that call a spade a spade and say what is really happening to them, and to those who read and lurk. To know I am not alone, to know that people understand, to know that I'm not a wuss or doing things wrong and to know all my trials and tribulations are normal wether the same or different to others had been the most fantastic help to me, my knee, my attitude and mental well being - so THANK YOU :thankyou: to EVERYONE on BS it has made a massive difference to my recovery.

Shortie x
 
I couldnt agree more. I came home from hospital not knowing what to expect and with very little information supplied from the hospital. I have always said people shouldnt give advice unless they have actually been through it and that is what make Bonesmart invaluable. To get medical advice or just help from the moderators and others is just so amazing. Im so pleased you are doing well. And to go out on your proper bike is amazing. I look comical enough on the one thats standing still. This forum makes our recovery so much better. And to find out about peoples lives apart from their knee journey is so good too. Hope you have a happy healthy week and keep up with the good work. Its good to have a goal of 7lbs and when you do that and start another one thats a stone gone. Im too fed up at the moment to concentrate on healthy food. You really do have to be in the zone. Im sure i will be soon tho and will join you in the healthy eating plan. SW is so easy to follow as well.
 
I was in the ODIC last night however although my knee was a bit achy it was the rest of me that was worn out! As sad as it seems I was quite pleased as it has meant I have actually done something energetic for a change :spin: :dancy:

I have to confess also that I got into bed and after a few minutes realised I hadn't taken my night time meds so I ummed and arred for a few minutes but decided that I must go and get my meds and so glad I did as I slept well.

No up to too much today just resting so all good.

Shortie x
 
OK so my knee had a bit of a delayed ouch to my exploits yesterday :boohoo: I have suffered today all I have managed is the ironing and taken my son to his gym session knee is swollen and is declining to bend much after getting 98 degrees yesterday. So meds, rest, ice and elevation for me and another easy day tomorrow.

I am a bit peeved but expected it really but I do feel a bit that once in a while I do have to test where I am so I can decide properly when to go back to work and at the same time getting myself fit enough to go back to work - I do know I am a long way off being ready so I will take it easy again for now.

Shortie x
 
Shortie! It's not even been two months and you cycled that far!! Well done you!
You really are doing brilliantly. At that stage I was still miserable and not sleeping.
We've all done too much , feel great and then pay the price...a lesson learned but another step on the road to recovery.
I think you're doing just great and try not to rush back to work if you don't have to.
bTw well done on the weight loss, you've done it once you'll be a new person by the nd of the summer
 
Hi Shortie,
I am in awe of your cycling. :beer: I have not ventured out onto my outdoor bike yet.
I know exactly what you mean about needing to test what you can do and what repercussions there are. It's the only way to know what you can manage but as I know only too well it can lead to wrath and vengeance coming your way from the knee king. :bow:
Sounds like you are doing marvellously. Enjoy.
Happy Saturday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you Toothfairy re my cycling .......... However all isn't quite as I hoped. Here is the story so far!

So a week ago(ish - monday last week) had my fab bike ride, I suffered for a few days but thought ok take it easy because last Friday we (me, OH and kids) were off for a weekend at Centre Parcs ( for those who don't know Centre Parcs is a woodland holiday village in 400 acres forest with sub tropical swimming complex as well as lots of sports facilities). I ummed and arred wether to take my bike but as rest of family were taking theirs I thought I would and see how I got on. Well we went for a bike ride my OH commented 'do you really have to ride like that?' lol and my knee said 'ow ow ow ow ow ow ow'!

So I decided to walk after that, we then went kyaking which was great no knee required! My OH and son cycled to and from the lake and me and my daughter walked - well the return journey was so painful and so slow - OH nearly sent out a search party! So after that I resorted back to my crutches which I had thankfully taken however after a night of no sleep despite extra meds I then resorted to hiring a mobility scooter for the rest of the break!

We did have a great time and did swim quite a lot (although some of the 'swimming' was relaxing in the hot pools!) and I did go head first down the rapids a few times :) although I did make my knee hurt on one part of the pool complex - I would love to say it was the daredevil rides but it was actually the plunge pool which wasn't as deep as I thought and I landed on the bottom of it with straight legs - ouch - then took ages to get back up the steps which considering it was so cold wasn't funny!

It was my son's 10th birthday on Sunday so him and his sister did some extra activities and we all did go bowling on sunday night - well I stood at the end and while stationary lobbed the bowl with no style, grace or accuracy! But the kids enjoyed it (and beat me!) and my son said it was the best birthday ever so it was all really worth it.

I am also very sorry to say my healthy eating did not come away with us :whistle:

So this week back to resting, healthy eating, etc. I don't think I over, over did it at the weekend but it has highlighted how I am no where near ready to going back to my job yet :sorry:

I hope everyone else has been getting on better than me - off to catch up on posts now.

Shortie x
 
Loved catching up on your posts Shortie you are doing so well and trying lots of things. :bow: :yay: had a good laugh at all your bike riding style! Take care and stay out of ODIC! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Shortie, sounds like you had a wonderful family time away.
Maybe it's just a little early for too much outdoor cycling. The good thing is that healing is ongoing so maybe next week your knee will be ready or in a couple more weeks.
You sound like you are doing really well and know when to step back from the challenge , wise indeed.
Sounds like your son had a really memorable birthday.
Good luck with your healthy eating plan. I am very good once I get in the groove but struggle to get back to it when I have time off.
Have a happy Wednesday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Thanks once again Toothfairy very much appreciated as today I am having a bit of a bleugh! And fed up day, I think it is because work is expecting me to return at 12 weeks, I was expecting to return at 12 weeks (although i hoped for 8 weeks) but unless there is dramatic improvement in my knee in the next two an a half weeks there is no way I am going to manage at work even with phased return, I think I am just a bit impatient and frustrated, as well as everything I've read (except on BS) says return to work at 6-8 weeks with physical jobs 'as long as 12 weeks' so I am just feeling pathetic and fed up AND my knee is hurting due to being swollen AND when sitting at the table yesterday I caught my scar on a bar that runs under the table ouch! - sorry I am having a day of feeling sorry for myself!

I think it is also because last October 3rd I had an arthroscopy for a possible torn meniscus and after months / years of pain and a dodgy knee I was telling everyone including myself I was going to be mended by the end of October (2012h - which didn't happen as all the arthroscopy showed was severe arthritis on femur, patella and tibia. So as well as the wait for TKR the added recovery and not having worked since October, all my sick pay finished in April (although we are not on the breadline) and having to slow down with activities again as knee didn't cope I am peeved!

One good thing has happened though I have been offered a free exercise bike so that is something, however I am still waiting to hear about when I have a place on the exercise referral scheme it must be soon though as it was a 4-6 week wait and it is nearly 4 weeks, so fingers crossed.

Sorry to have gone on but I do find it helps to have a bit of a typing vent! I know there are others much worse off than me and in someways it makes me feel bad to moan but I guess I just need to at the moment.

Thanks x

Shortie x
 
Poor you Shortie,
I sympathise so much with you catching your scar on the bar under the table. :tantrum: I did that a few weeks ago and it really hurts. I am now very careful every time I sit down at the table. I put my hand over my knee till I am safely seated!
I am at 11 1/2 weeks now and I have had a really big improvement in the last couple of weeks. I had planned to return next week but due to a bad week before I saw my doctor and other bits and pieces I am returning on 4th June.
You might find that you do improve a lot but if not they will just have to wait for you.
Good news about the exercise bike, just take it easy and work up slowly.
Hope your day improves, I am sending you a big basket of sunny smiles, hugs and Belgian chocolates,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :bicycle1:
 
Thank you sooooooo much for the sunny smiles, hugs and Belgian chocolates :)

Yesterday I really didn't do a lot - so today my knee is feeling a little better I am just deciding what to do today to give me and my knee some exercise without overdoing it - I am so conscious that I need to be fitter to get back to work (and life) but at the same time dont want to overdo it and out myself back any more.

My ROM is still 90 which is OK for most stuff but how I so wish I could walk up and down stairs properly. Straight is OK. I also had to put out our quite heavy wheelie bin this morning and it made my knee quite uncomfortable on what I can ony describe is the medial edge of the top of the tibia / where top of tibial component is, I do often get pain here - not swelling pain but ouchy pain if there is any deviation from perfectly straight i.e. any slight twisting Josephine please can I ask you is this a normal pain - it is an area which has always been tender post op but the ony part which gives a stabbing / sharp pain. I do get the tight band pain but due to BS I expect that so not at all worried about this tight band (although sometimes it feels so much like a 1" thick elastic band and I wish I could just slip a pair of scissors under it and give it a snip! Lol)

I'm not quite so peeved today and also thinking about other options for work - my first choice is returning to my job which I love however if I can't it's not the end of the world just really annoying! To be fair I did ask my OS pre op if I would ever manage to return to working busy 12.5 hour shifts and he was totally honest and said he didn't know and there were no guarantees it would depend on my recovery. I am getting to the point of resigning myself to do what is best for me and my knee (and not rushing in to anything) but I am a stubborn darn and never like to give in easily! And I wanted to be one of those who recovers in 4 days and is climbing mountains in a week!

Hope everyone has a good day

Shortie x
 
I do get the tight band pain but due to BS
BS? Explain please?
To be fair I did ask my OS pre op if I would ever manage to return to working busy 12.5 hour shifts and he was totally honest and said he didn't know and there were no guarantees it would depend on my recovery. I am getting to the point of resigning myself to do what is best for me and my knee
9 weeks is a little soon to be declaring yourself out of the running for 'normal life'! Nothing you are experiencing now will be around in another 6 weeks, I can promise you that.

I also read through this whole thread and spotted a 'few' comments I thought I'd reply to!
and i know it is a big if but it is thought my knee artritis was trauma induced) so if I did only have arthritis in one joint and now it has been removed by OS does that mean I no longer have arthritis?
All osteo-arthritis is trauma induced, maybe by micro trauma as opposed to a major thing like a fracture, but trauma nevertheless. And yes, now it's been replaced you no longer have O/A in that joint! But that's not to say it won't crop up in another joint sometime. They have a nasty habit of doing that.
when I do go swimming will my leg now sink due to the weight of the new bits?
You thought perhaps your new bits are heavy? Not at all! A knee replacement weighs just 250-300gms.
when it is really cold - like windy bitter cold will the metal of my new knee get cold too?" although I think that all the "padding" I have will keep it insulated
No to this as well. They will remain at your core body temperature regardless.
I was also trying to find out how many steps I am going to need to do as we are off to a Pink concert
I expect you've already been to this (though I didn't see it mentioned) so you should be aware that sitting for a long time causes quite bad pain called the movie sign. So be prepared and get some first aid crushable ice packs for use during the concert. They are quite cheap and worth every penny. You can find them in here Ice to control pain and swelling.
I suppose I am a bit worried that I am not sure if I will ever manage to get back to working 12½ hour shifts as a staff Nurse in Accident and Emergency and ... I couldn't go back not being sure I can be a full part of the team, it wouldn't be fair on my colleagues or the patients
Of course you will! You will find it tough when you first go back to work but within a few weeks, you will find yourself hardening up and around the 5 month mark, you'll be scooting around A&E like you always did (before your knee went bad, of course!)
I saw my GP yesterday only for repeat of meds as last script had highlighter pen all over saying I needed to see doc before any repeats could be given!
That's becoming a regular thing. Part of the GP's duty of care to make sure you're okay and still happy with them.
Just wondered (and I know we are all different) when did people stop using walking aids? My physio assistant when I saw her a week or so ago said I must use two crutches to help me walk properly
Best rule of thumb is when you find yourself walking off without them - either at home or out! Then you'll know you can leave them in the car and then leave them at home!
I would like to ask about massage as I do feel that some of the tightness is just under the scar running the length of the scar approx 2" to either side.
That tightness is pain. So though massage won't do any harm, what you really need is pain meds! "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee. (See? it's all in the Library! :wink:)
I also want to ask what specific "bobbly" bits of swelling are.
Whereare they exactly? If around the incision, then they are probably internal sutures not yet broken down. How about a photo?
What has anyone used on their scar?
You don't need anything on your scar. Your body is more than capable of healing up well all on its own! But like a previous poster said, it can feel nice!

btw, you never told me which hospital you went to for your surgery and which hospital you work in?
 
Thank you so much Josephine

Re the tight band I think you missed a bit of my quote off I put 'I do get the tight band pain but due to BS I expect that so not at all worried about this tight band' :)

Thank you for the reassurance that my expectations of where I am is too high - I will AGAIN try to relax a bit.

Thank you for clarifying some of my 'daft thinking' questions - I really don't know why my brain asks me these bizzare things!

The Pink concert was awesome - her singing and acrobatics were fantastic. I did manage reasonably well with pillows for support for the car journey, uses of shuttle busses, and change of seats in to 'accessible seating' section meant more comfortable seat and leg room, that with a top up of meds was bearable and really worth it :) I did see the movie sign article a couple of days after the concert!

I will put a photo on my next post (can't upload it from iPad - cant type on phone!)

The top arrow on the photo is where my leg 'bobbles' up during the day into a half egg swelling - visible through trousers! - sorry photo not great and doesn't show it very well.

The bottom arrow is where I am getting the real ouchy / stabbing pain when I have any slight twist of my leg.

Thank you so much for your response - it is very much appreciated - I did pm you where I work / had my surgery I don't like to put too many personal details on public forums ( I'm a big worry wort) - I will re-send it.

Thank you

Shortie x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
 
Hi Shortie, I am pleased that you are feeling brighter today.
Neat scar. I get some swelling at the top arrow too and sometimes have some tenderness at the bottom arrow. I know that doesn't give you an explanation but either its normal/usual or we are both odd, mmmmmm could be either. :heehee:
I am not concerned about it and just assume its a result of the surgical trauma. In both places it is a lot less than it was so hopefully resolving.
Enjoy the rest of your day. I have been for a lovely swim this morning, bliss. Have you heard anything about your healthy gym yet?
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom