Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

No one has ever called me normal :rotfl: :heehee: It's great to know these pains / swellings are not unique to me thanks.

I phoned re gym referral yesterday and hopefully should be contacted within a week with a start date. Also just spoken to a friend of a friend who is giving me an exercise bike (although I feel I should give her something for it) hopefully we can collect it on saturday so at least I can get some cycling in at my leisure :)

Shortie x
 
Shortie! That is a really neat scar! You are still very early in your recovery, at your stage I was still convinced I'd never walk normally again. Give yourself more time and tlci
 
Great scar - it looks very neat. I like your recent posts because I feel I will never be able to do anything again at his moment in time! But....I can see you are doing stuff now and that's so heartening!
Good luck with your weight loss.
 
Thank you all, much more positive day, knee now recovered from weekend away and back to how it was before the massive 'over did it' days, coffee this morning with a work friend, collecting free exercise bike tomorrow, lots of lovely encouragement from everyone here.

I have also managed to recommend BS to someone who had TKR 2 weeks ago.

I have also made an appointment to see occupational health for a week on Wednesday - so much happier - thanks all again for such great advice and encouragement x

And although the weather here is rubbish I am sat with my family in front of our log burner with a glass of wine, lovely :whistle: :martini: :cheers:

Shortie x
 
It was Hopper :)

Just a quick post this am just to say I have collected my (free) exercise bike - got it in the kitchen so I can hop on and off through the day and do a few mins here and there :bicycle1:

Hope everyone has a great Saturday x

Shortie x
 
Thanks speccybecky I have hopped a couple of times today :bicycle1: just a km a time on very low resistance I will gradually build up.

I have also been out for a walk with the family and dog.

Knee feeling OK but have has a glass of wine and a rum and coke in anticipation of being in the ODIC tonight - Cheers to everyone joining me! It actually feels good to have done stuff even if I need the rum and coke! Lol :martini:

It feels again like all isn't quite right but WILL BE right :yahoo:

Shortie x
 
It sounds great - you are up and about and doing things again.
Enjoy the bike!
 
So I am really happy today - the day started with meds and a warm bath as usual as I find that the bath one I have had meds really helps my knee get going in the mornings, I then after a few forward and backward rocks on the pedals to warm up did a slow 3 km on my new (to me) exercise bike which took 11 minutes and 34 seconds - sorry I used to be a runner and was (and still am a bit anal with stats etc.) We then went to tesco's (UK supermarket) to do weekly family shop still haven't dared to go on my own and for the first time I managed the whole shop with no crutches and even pushed the trolley for 2/3 of the shop which is something I have not managed to do for months.

Then home and lunch and after a relax in the....... Wait for it ......... Sunshine in the garden - I actually got too hot at one point!

I then did another 3km on the exercise bike this time in 10 minutes 4 seconds.

Then off to OH's parents for afternoon tea and a nice relax in the garden.

Back home and back on the bike again just 3km but this time in just 8 minutes and 18 seconds.

I know I mustn't over do it but knee is now elevated and feels actually great - although a little achy it actually feels less stiff and feels like it has an easier ROM - I think (and hope) the very low resistance and frequency of using the ex bike is just reminding it that it should bend.

I am hoping I can keep up using the bike 2 - 3 times a day just for a few minutes at a time and hopefully I will lose a bit of weight too - I actually had plans that every time I go into the kitchen to 'graze' I should make myself do a km on the bike. Lol.

I hope everyone has had a happy sunny day.

Shortie x
 
3 x 3km on the bike is actually quite a lot....well for me it is! I certainly couldn't have done it at your stage.
I suspect you will be achey today? Just a pity the sunshine hasn't lasted.....
 
Not too achy at all thankfully - and sorry for the north south weather devide speccybeccky but we have had a lovely sunny day (although a bit of a chilly wind) here.

So today I had planned to do 3 x 10 mins on the bike and my first 10 mins was good - very low resistance but did 4km! We then went for a family walk and picnic. We parked up and walked (no crutches) 1.32 miles along a riverbank, the grass was quite long and was quite challenging for my knee, we then stopped for the picnic and then walked back again the same route - again quite challenging due to the long grass but I did it - I am VERY pleased :) it is the most my knee has had to cope with yet and it managed really well.

So now I am cooking a roast dinner - should have been a Sunday roast but we didn't get round to it! And then I may or may not do another 10 mins on the bike later depending on how my knee is - note to self: I WILL LISTEN TO MY KNEE!

Hope everyone else is having a day of little victories.

Shortie x
 
I think you are having big victories! It sounds great.
My little victories today will be firstly going into a shopping area on my own two feet (talking the walker though) and secondly buying a new pair of shoes - despite my husband saying I don't need another pair!
I've got an exercise bike in the kitchen in the UK - hopefully when I get over in July i will be ready to peddle too. Keep up the good work - and yes, listen to your knee!
 
Hi Shortie, I've just been catching up on your posts. Glad the exercise bike is working out well. Sounds like you are making excellent progress with it.
I went out on my bike for the first time today, only twice round the block but I really enjoyed it. Probably won't get out again in the next few days as my daughter, partner and two beautiful grandchildren are arriving to stay till Friday.
Enjoy the rest of the week, take it gently,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Just a quick post this am just to say I have collected my (free) exercise bike - got it in the kitchen so I can hop on and off through the day and do a few mins here and there :bicycle1:
That is a great idea! I did very much the same thing.


So now I am cooking a roast dinner - should have been a Sunday roast but we didn't get round to it! And then I may or may not do another 10 mins on the bike later depending on how my knee is - note to self: I WILL LISTEN TO MY KNEE
Excellent idea! Keep the knee happy---remember---the knee is in charge, and you kust keep it happy and you will move forward!
 
So for nice I was good and listened - I didn't push it (although ........ I possibly could have! Lol) and left it at 10 mins on the bike and out lovely if not challenging walk and quite surprisingly when I got up this morning after a good sleep I realised I didn't take any pain meds last night!

Knee is very slightly stiffer this morning but I am sure after morning doses of meds and a warm bath (this is what REALLY helps me / my knee get going) it will be good and ready to go on the bike again.

Nice weather hasn't stayed here today but it is half term for the kids so the first half of the day will be relaxed then it is gymnastics, sleepovers and general madness - I love the kids being off :dancy:

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie x
 
Well not posted for a few days as I am trying to ignore what is happening!!!!

On Wednesday night I pulled my knee somehow (OK i admit it I was in bed at the time but not asleep :whistle: ) well anyway my knee just felt odd, I even got up to check it didn't look odd it just felt as if somthing wasn't in the right place but it was working as it had been, wasnt red or hot or deformed. In the morning it still felt odd but again at the time no pain as such just not right, so I decided that I had pulled it and spent the day on Thursday mostly resting it as much as I could, still felt odd but still nothing specific or dramatic. I did write a longish post on Tursday but it disappeared and I was a bit too dispondent to try again at that point.

Friday was a bit more achy than normal, pain on medial edge at top of tibia which I have always had was slightly increased and on Friday evening I did have anterior pain across kneecap. When I went to bed last night there appears to be a bit more swelling than normal around the top of my tibia (all around) - where as swelling is usually around leg at bottom of femur - I decided that I would go to bed and it looked worse this morning I would go to docs.

So this morning I got up again and it looked 'normal' we have been out today for lunch and then had a little walk along a flat even path, the pain in my knee, behind my knee and down my shin and even into my foot, the sort of pain I have not experienced since before the op.

So what have I done, well I've rested and elevated, read lots of posts from others to decide between the two extreems of if this is a normal rubbish roller coaster moment for which a bit of rest will sort out or this is total disaster and it needs sorting surgically!

I am getting a bit stressed about it too as I am off to see my boss on tuesday and Occ health on we'd about return to work as before this happened I was really thinking I was nearly ready.

Any suggestions would be great as at the moment I am on an bit of a low and don't know what to do.

Shortie x
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom