Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

If youre wondering how to do it by the way hover your curser over your name at top of page and look down the list for signature. Click on that. Put the date etc and add any smilies you want and 'save; it.
 
I think I've added my date to the bottom of my posts - will see with this one! Lol
 
Hello and welcome to the forum ! ITs good to see you have had a very positive first week and seem to be getting on with things quite nicely. your little walk outside is quite an achievement and i love your post about the ice outside may freeze your leg, very good. its a bit like that here !

Im sure you'll get in the whole swing of the recovery roller coaster soon once youve had chance to read the library articles and digest them. Meanwhile, everyone is happy to chat and help or offer any advice if you need it.

good luck and best wishes.

Fernie :egypdance:
 
Hi Shortie. Welcome to the bright side of life. I hope you have a safe and uneventful recovery. Where are you at in East Anglia? We were at RAF Lakenheath 90-94. I well remember wanting to just be outside on a nice sunny day. I get sunny days almost year round here in Arizona. But when on occasion it is cool and rainy here I enjoy it and always makes me think of England. Take it easy in your recovery. Laura
 
Happy Easter Everyone!

Haven't posted for a few days but have still been reading lots, resting lots, elevating and iceing lots too :)

Everything seems to be going OK ROM not fab but as advised here not worrying until swelling / pain is less - leg isn't massively swollen but it does gradually get tighter when I am active, but I was really pleased as we had a little trip to the garden centre yesterday and I managed to get my jeans on over my leg so that was a big positive for me.

I still have quite a lot of pain but am taking meds by the clock and the pain definitely seems a a post op pain and not the arthritic pain I had before **** bizzare thought if (and i know it is a big if but it is thought my knee artritis was trauma induced) so if I did only have arthritis in one joint and now it has been removed by OS does that mean I no longer have arthritis? ***

I am In good place at the moment because although I know I have still got lots of hard work to do it really feels that this really is the beginning of getting my life back, being able to play / do activities with the kids, get back to work, and just being active.

So Happy Easter again

Shortie
 
I do not know your age or size of family but an idea is also to have simpler dinners and everyone eat wherever you are. My recovery space was the living room since the downstairs of my house has the bathroom and kitchen. I only had my husband at home so for dinners he would make something and we would eat in living room so I could be in recliner with legs elevated for many weeks. I think it really helped not to have the leg down much of the day. Except for some walks around the house, I stayed in bed/couch elevated or in recliner and iced. It really kept the swelling down and gave me a gradual increase in bend. I could do gentle exercises in both bed and recliner with limited swelling. It can be a temporary treat for all if possible depending on size of family and you will not feel excluded.
 
Jethugger - sounds like you and I are getting on about the same - I think at the moment I have two main thoughts 1. I didn't really realise how much hard work recovery would be and 2. Despite of (or because of) the hard work I am really quite excited that the improvement my knee and life will get from having a TKR makes me really happy i have had it done and I am so looking forward to an active pain free life
Good morning Shortie,
I love your positive attitude. I know we are all different but I do feel that if you can be positive it does really help to deal with all the ups and downs of recovery. the other thing that helps me apart from this indispensable forum is having a sense of humour!
I like your comment about the arthritis, sounds logical to me that if your arthritis was traumatic and only in the joint that has been replaced you are hopefully arthritis free. a good question to ask your consultant at your review appointment, we will all be interested in the answer.
Have a great day,
Toothfairy x :happydance:
 
Hurrah staples are out - wound looking good even been for a little wander around the garden centre.

Now resting with legs up being a good girl :angel:
 
Sounds like you are doing well and feeling good! :SUNsmile: :thumb:
 
Hi Shortie, so pleased you are doing so well! Isn't it lovely to be rid of those staples? :yikes: Like you, I had acute arthritis in my knee only - as a result of an infection in the joint itself when I was 20. I think it's safe to assume that if you have not suffered arthritic pain in any other joints, then the TKR has sorted the problem! :spin: :happydance: :dancy: Hope you enjoy the garden centre visits, be careful not overdo it! I spent a very uncomfortable night last night after attending a funeral yesterday! Price I was willing to pay, but boy, am I tired today!!! :mcoffee: Jeans!! Whoever would have thought that it would be GREAT just to wear jeans!!! :heehee: :ok: Kinda makes you feel normal after everything you've been through huh? Keep up the positive attitude & with any luck, spring is finally about to make an entrance!! :bow: must admit to sneaking peeks at shoes with heels on...... Well, got to have something to look forward to! :rotfl: :loll: :heehee: :snork:
 
Jethugger sorry to hear you had to attend a funeral.

Yes having staples out is bliss :)

I know what you mean about tired - after a "busy" day yesterday today by the time I had got up, had meds, breakfast, a bath (yes I know but I don't dunk my knee and have been effectively using only one leg to get in and out for months pre op and am extra careful not to slip) got dressed and done my physio exercises, and put one load of washing in the machine I just then seemed to have any energy I had just drained out of me a bit like the way water just draines out do a bath- not necessarily tired (although I did sleep) but just totally drained of energy - so by now 14.45 in the afternoon having had lunch now finally have a bit of energy back. However i try to think of it as during these rests i am mending the best i can and i am VERY lucky to have such a fantastic family supporting me.
 
Morning all!

Have got physio assistant coming this am will see how it goes - see if I have been doing things right.

I am really pleased because I can now go up stairs with alternate feet on alternate steps (although I have to concentrate every step)

I also managed a little, slow walk on my treadmill yesterday and after a few minutes and I actually relaxed I really enjoyed it - i found it better than walking outside as it was flat, even, constant speed and no corners or different surfaces.

Sleeping at night is my only problem at the moment and I was getting bit stressed about it but my OH pointed out that I've not slept well for months so will take a while to get used to sleeping properly again - I suppose it is like anything nothing happens overnight! (forgive the pun!)
 
Physio assistant was lovely but told me off for two things :sorry: First I haven't been using my crutches in the house, she said I must use them so I walk correctly all the time and Second for having a bath ( I only have had one every day since coming home 3 days post op - I am very careful and don't dunk my leg!)

Other than that everything was OK although she wants me to try to get my ROM up a bit however she just gave me some extra exercises rather than forcing anything - she seems to go with the BS mantra so that is good. ROM was acceptable though straight was well straight (although other leg is hypermobile as was operated leg in past) and flex was nearly 90 so happy, as no forcing exercises.

Not had a sleep today so hoping for a full nights sleep tonight (well I can hope)
 
Hi Shortie...seems like you have a good physio and that's so important, don't get too stressed about the sleep , I went down that path early on and honestly it doesn't help...I got to the point where I was dreading the nightime as I knew I would be awake every few hours. Best have a few things to do if you wake up and can't get back to sleep. Sometimes just a little bit of walking around, or giving your knee a light massage might help settle it. But you might need some mental diversion...come chat on the forum or visit the forum games room. :yes!:

Sleep will begin to return to normal but in the meantime grab whatever you can whenever you can...still early days and your body is crying out for rest it's working so hard to recover from the trauma of your op :beg: :beg:

I like the idea of the treadmill it definitely makes it a little easier not having to watch your footing on uneven ground...you'll get more confidence as time passes...your are doing really well.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you so much for your post (and hugs) Gami it couldn't have come at a better time as I am having a Bleugh day! And your post has cheered me up - thank you

Nothing dramatic has happened to make me feel Bleugh Just one of those days where everyone helping me is making me feel bad that I should be able to do stuff for them. I think I am a bit peeved to using my crutches in the house again but I dare not I case it damages my new knee (physio asst said it could loosen in early days if not supported), I can see that my gait will be better but not being able to carry my cup of tea easily again is rubbish.

I did however have another bath this morning - I am such a rebel! Lol

Thanks again Gami
 
I think Shortie if having a bath makes you feel better go for it. You are being sensible and not getting it too wet. It's horrible isn't it relying on other people all the time. No wonder you're fed up. I remember my husband once left me upstairs feeling sorry for myself from half 3 in the afternoon till half 9 at night without even a cup of tea or asking if I needed ANYTHING. It does get better little by little and I've still got the voodoo doll of my husband, just in case hehe
 
Is there a way you can carry a bag with your crutches and put tea in a travel mug. I had a walker and attached a reusable grocery bag so I could put things in it and bring them from the kitchen. My husband was at work all day so he made me breakfast but I was home alone after that. I did not want to live without tea even if I do not like it as much in a travel mug.
 
Bleugh. New favorite word, not that I hope to use it any time soon. So sorry it was a rough one.
Could you ask about switching to a walker? So so so much easier to manage, in my humble opinion.
Bleugh.
 
Back
Top Bottom