Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Wonderful news Shortie about sleeping and driving and sleeping and swimming and sleeping and having a bath. Dd you say you had a good sleep? Hope it continues.. Drive carefully. It is another wonderful step along the path to normality.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze:
 
There's a reason why depriving sleep is a form of torture!
It's great waking up in the morning having slept all night, long may It continue
 
Thank you folks :)

Things seem to be continuing to improve, sleeping although not totally perfect is really good (what a relief) although I think I am still in catchup and needing a little nap now and then!

I am driving also a relief not to have to rely on someone all the time, I am walking with 1 crutch outside and finding it easier to walk "properly" I don't have to think about how to do EVERY step.

I think the only nagging thing is swelling but I know this will take a while to sort so will continue with not overdoing it, rest, elevate and ice (see I have learnt something!)

I know Josephine has said in other posts the massive difference from UK aftercare, but the UK way does seem a bit more relaxed / less intenseas apart from a physio assistant (not a physiotherapist) calling in every couple of weeks, that is it for post op physio for me! Also I saw OS @ 6 weeks post op who said yes everything looks OK do what ever you like (not high impact) but take it slowly and don't over do it, and unless you have any problems for which you can call us - see you in a year!

Although I know I have months of recovery left I am already so pleased to have had the op.

Shortie x
 
Good forbyou Shortie. Nice positive post. I must admit it took me a lot longer to say glad i had it. More like the six month mark. But im there now and it feels good. Like you I hated to depend on others for lifts etc. are you thinking about cane instead of one crutch. I found that so much easier. Keep on taking it easy. What a long recovery this is. And I have to do it all again soon. O Joy. Have a lovely bank holiday weekend. Take Care x
 
robynhood I think I will stick with the crutch I have been using on for months pre op so I'm quite used to it - and I hope to stop using it ASAP (but I won't rush it)

Now for the excitement of the day - I've been swimming :dancy: :happydance: :spin: :yay: As others have said a sort of mix of styles, but some (very slow) lengths and I didn't sink!

So all is good today now must rest and as my meds now are not affected by alcohol I may even have a glass of rose :martini: :cheers:

Shortie x
 
I never used a walking stick, always a crutch. Once I was okay without that, I was okay! I just felt more stable with a crutch, more than I ever did with a stick.
 
Strange how different areas, even in UK, have differing opinions. I didn't have a choice it was 2 sticks, my colleague's husband who lives 12 miles from me but in a different local health authority had crutches
 
Why o why o why do I forget everything every so often?

That last few days I have been getting on really well so why am I so daft as to reduce meds on a day after I have had two very active (very lovely) days. Knee not happy overnight!

Oh well lesson learned (again) I will be good now!

Shortie x
 
Glad to see you have been going so well Shortie! Keep it up and get on those pain meds! :dancy: :happydance:
 
I know exactly what you mean Shortie. Why do any of us do it? :what: :shrug:
I hope you are back on those meds and things have improved.
Enjoy the lovely sunshine, it is so cheering,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
We all know.....it seems like an age since the op....but really it isn't !
Take care
 
All good today, went swimming again yesterday it feels good to be exercising again.

I am off today to a freinds house who has a recumbent ex bike to have a go as I did try sitting on my regular bike with OH holding it and tried to pedal backwards and I couldn't bend my knee enough to get a rotation :boohoo: But I think also I was a bit nervous and the bike a bit wobbly which didnt help so something stationary where I can concentrate on something other than falling over will be good. I'm not expecting much today but even if I can go forward and back a few times and not even all the way round it will be good.

I will report later on what happens - mind you having a coffee with my friend after will be good whatever happens
 
Well I am sooooooooo pleased :dancy:

I went to my friends and had a go on recumbent ex bike, I set the seat so the pedals were as far away as possible but so I could still just reach them, to start with I gently went forward and back just rocking them and very very slowly I was able to get further round then after 10 minutes or so I managed a FULL ROTATION :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance: :yay: :spin:

I was so pleased especially as I hadn't expected to be able to and also as although slightly stiff there was no ouchy pain! I did a few rotations some backwards and some forwards and to be honest the pedals were quite a long way away or my little legs (I could touch them with tip toes at extension) but I did it - and quite pleased with myself for stopping before overdoing it

I also had a few minutes on an elliptical trainer set on no resistance and even worked up a little sweat (easily done at my current fitness level!).

I am now icing and resting :angel:

AND I have even eaten healthily today and started back on weight loss plan.

It really feels now that my knee is mended from the arthritis and that I will be able to get fit again once it is recovered from the surgery - I will take it easy and not do too much and I know it is early days but look out life I'm coming to get you!

Shortie x
 
After yesterday's massive achievements (well massive for me post my TKR) I was a little worried that I didn't stop in time and that I would spend the night in the ZODIC but I am pleased to say that I didn't :) And I am also VERY pleased that i now seem to be sleeping more nights that not sleeping - oh what a difference that makes after at least a year of not sleeping properly.

So let's hope I can continue being active today without the threat of the ZODIAC !

Returning to work in a few weeks (signed off until 12 weeks post op - currently 7.5 weeks post op) now seems possible rather than totally impossible as I thought 3 weeks or so ago, although still not sure if 12 weeks will be enough but I WILL do what is best for my knee lets face it if I don't it will come back and get me!

So I am so glas to say another good day and looking forward to the future :)

Shortie x
 
Congratulations Shortie on the full rotations on the bike you have done extremely well :yay: :happydance: I was able to do some full rotations on a little foot wheel in Rehab and it felt so good started off only backwards and could do forwards today. Keep up the good work!
 
Thank you landoz :)

I've been swimming again today, some lengths very slow normal swimming some lengths flappy (up and down) legs and breast stroke arms and some lengths just arms so all good and hopefully burned some calories as those little devils (the calories) seemed to have made all my clothes smaller lately!

Had to do some running around after my children this afternoon and then some shopping (birthday presents) and so am now a little weary and knee a little achy but OK now up and resting.

Looking forward to tomorrow as having another go on recumbent bike and elliptical trainer I WILL take it easy! :angel:

Shortie x
 
shortie you are doing really well. Its so good to get that first full rotation on the bike isnt it. My husband got me one from ebay and it has helped a lot. I must admit its mainly used for hanging things on at the moment. Its very easy when you get to six months to get a little lazy with the exercises. Also im having problems with my ROM but am seeing a specialist physio next week to try and see what the problem is. Are you looking forward to going back to work. Will you be able to sit down during the day. Must be a bit scary getting back to the work place. A problem i dont have. 2nd TKR looming whenever im ready. Got to sort this one out first though. Keep on doing what youre doing just dont overdue it. Take care.
 
robynhood yes I was soo pleased to get that rotation - I kept on telling people (i.e. people who hadn't had TKR) and they very tentatively said well done but really didn't seem impressed but I was so excited lol.

I he you get on well with your specialist physio x

I am looking forward to going back to work as I love my job BUT I am hoping I can quite dramatically cut my hours so I only have a low base hours (there is nearly always extra hours available) for at least a year so I can work as my knee allowes. I am also worried about going back as I have been off sick since October 2012 due to knee problems and the only part of the job in which you can sit down (I am a staff nurse in an Accident and Emergency department) you are lucky if your bottom stays on the chair for more than two minutes at a time. It is a physically demanding job with 12.5 hour shifts, changing from days, nights and weekends.

I did dream last night that I went back and first shift was a night shift without my managers knowing and looked after some of our 'regular customers'! Lol

Shortie x
 
Good workout today managed good rotations on bike did three separate goes with a few minutes on elliptical trainer in between. Slightly odd technique as have found it is more comfortable to have heel of TKR leg on pedal, so first go managed 0.5 km, second 0.6 km then third 1.0 km, the goes on the elliptical made me slightly out of breath and quite sweaty which would have been impressive if I was fitter but just going slowly was enough but all good and it felt like I had done something.

All this and knee feels OK :)

One thing I have found now I do short distances without any crutches (appart from having to concentrate on how to walk) is that I tend to veer off slightly to the left (operated leg side) not sure if it because I have used crutch(s) for 9 months (per and post op) or if it is because my body is used to a dodgy leg or wether I am just odd! Lol has anyone else had this happen?

Shortie x
 
Brilliant news on the exercise front Shortie. It is so good to have a swim and getting those first rotations on the exercise bike is a truly magical moment. I know what you mean about non TKR people not understanding and looking a bit confused by our excitement. :what:
Good news about the healthy eating too as it is all good for healing.
No advice about the veering off. I am sure you are not odd. I would advise getting advice about it from a physio or a podiatrist in case you are walking unevenly which could put stress on other joints over time. Maybe it is just that you need a spell of relearning after your prolonged crutch use.
Have a good weekend.
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Back
Top Bottom