Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Right I was feeling grumpy yesterday - nothing major just that OH had gone back to work on Monday kids went back to school yesterday, than I spent the day sorting out paperwork as my statutory sick pay runs out on 18th of this month and my work sick pay from work runs out on 24th of this month so I was filling in paperwork, trying to budget for the next few weeks / months before getting back to work, trying to think what will be best to do about work, not coming up with any answers as so much is unknown, I was also trying to find out how many steps I am going to need to do as we are off to a Pink concert (had tickets for months, kids first concert, will definately be in the ODIC but NOT cancelling!), and guess what we are three rows from the back of the arena so the advice the arena gave me was there are no disabled / easy access seats available so ge there early to give time to get to seat.

On plus side knee was quite good physio assistant was happy with me on Monday (apart from admissions of baths and having a go on the treadmill :yikes: )

I think yesterday did exhaust me mentally but on the plus side I slept really well in post TKR terms!

So today - onward and upward, I've decided to "go with the flow" as there is so much I can't control and be happy that I am recovering as expected (not what I expected / hoped) but as the OS and his team expected, wound is looking good, family lovely and there is the chance of sunshine today :dancy:
 
Oh B***** just joined the ODIC (again) went to watch my son play tag rugby and had to stand for an hour and a half now knee has revolted! So sitting with leg elevated with ice pack on - I guess that is all I might do until bed time and then cross my fingers to get some sleep - I think I will be happy with any sleep tonight.

Mind you son played 3 matches won all three and got some trys too so not all bad
 
Hi Shortie,
I hope you have found the door out of the ODIC, I know it is a well hidden door and not easy to find.
Maybe you should get yourself a "shooting stick" type thing that you could take along to things like this so you could sit, or take a folding chair? Not cool but might just keep you out of the ODIC.
Well done to your son, good result.
I think this stage in the recovery is tricky, you start to feel able to do more but it doesn't take much to push you into the club.
When is the concert? Might be worth considering one or two of these portable ice packs to take with you, might improve your comfort and enjoyment of the concert?
Hope you can have a quiet day today resting and recovering. Hope you got your paperwork sorted out. I am finding it hard to concentrate on that sort of thing at the moment. I think it is because I have relaxed so much and disengaged from that side of life after years of being a total control freak!
Have a great day, hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
I think this stage in the recovery is tricky, you start to feel able to do more but it doesn't take much to push you into the club.

Thanks TF you are right yesterday I forgot myself and stepped down a step with good leg fIrst - I have to say I did say a few choice words at the time.

I think I will take some ice packs with me to the concert so at least I will ice it on the way home as it is an hour and half car journey too and working out how best to sit in car so leg elevated on way and way back.

Yes also agree about paperwork it has taken me days to sort out what I would normally do in a couple of hours it just doesn't deem to sink in very quick - my OH might say that is normal though lol.
 
"I forgot myself and stepped down a step with good leg fIrst - I have to say I did say a few choice words at the time."

Oh Shortie, I remember it well! It will get better and before you know it you will be able to do it again without pain or ouch.
Small slow progress adds up to a lot of recovery over time.
Have a good day,
TF x :)
 
My knee still hurts up and down stairs but not ouchy, sweary sore. I keep hoping it will still improve but think it might never happen
 
Hi Nancy speccybecky, I hope that will improve for you too. Have you spoken to a physio about it? Hope you can find a solution as that must be very wearing.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :egypdance:
 
speccybecky I hope the stairs do become easier for you agree with TF need to ask physio what can be done to help.

I do amaze myself at how stupid my thinking is sometimes - luckily today after I thought the following I did think don't be stupid! So upon waking this morning after a reasonable night, knee was a bit painful which bizzarly I think was because I had had a reasonable night and therefore not moved around much and therefore got stiff, so first thought of the day was ouch, second thought was I really must see how I am with less / no pain killers so I won't take them this morning :yikes: needless to say brain is back in gear and I have taken morning meds!

Feeling a little peeved as Sunday is London Marathon and I used to run (quite slowly but have done half marathons) and for the last 5 - 6 years every April I have entered the ballot to get a place to run at London and last October for the first time ever I was actually successful in getting a ballot place which I then had to decline because of my knee and now because of my TKR I know I will never run it - which I have now accepted but still.........

Anyway going to try to take it easy today as in ODIC last couple of days and have busy day on Sunday so trying to rest up.

Happy Friday Everyone
 
Pleased you decided to take your meds before there was a sharp reminder from the knee king. Knowing when to cut down is not easy. I have found that trial and error is the only way but would not suggest a trial when your knee is feeling sore. Would also recommend from personal experience that you only cut one dose and see what happens but keep it handy and take it quickly if the knee king shouts.
As for the marathon, well you could do it after TKR. Some people do. The extra pounding will probably shorten the life of TKR but it is your choice. If you look at it that way and then decide you are choosing not to do it because you don't want to hasten a replacement TKR you might then not feel as deprived . Maybe? That is the way my brain works anyway.

Smart plan to rest and get yourself ready for your busy Sunday. Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy: :happydance:
 
speccybecky

Anyway going to try to take it easy today as in ODIC last couple of days and have busy day on Sunday so trying to rest up.

Happy Friday Everyone

Showing my ignorance here - what is ODIC please?

Hi Shortie, I've been following your thread as my TKR was only 2 days earlier than yours, so it's easy to compare notes. We also have shortness in common - I used to be 5' but at the pre op assessment they told me I've lost 3" - shock, horror! :tantrum: I can't afford to lose anymore or I'll turn into a ball. This, combined with the fact the surgeon said my bones were softer than he expected, has alerted people to the possibility of osteoporosis, and I'm going for a dexascan in a couple of weeks. But whatever happens I'll never get those precious 3" back - only another shortie would understand! :boohoo:
 
ODIC = Over Did it Club :yikes:

Re shortness - I am reminded daily that I an short as my OH is 6'2"! My kids did say could I have both knees done and really big spacers put in to make me taller! :heehee:

I hope your DEXA scan is OK and if not then I hope something can be done to reduce any osteoporosis.
 
ODIC = Over Did it Club :yikes:

Re shortness - I am reminded daily that I an short as my OH is 6'2"! My kids did say could I have both knees done and really big spacers put in to make me taller! :heehee:

I hope your DEXA scan is OK and if not then I hope something can be done to reduce any osteoporosis.

I'm a member of the ODIC as well then! I am finding being on my own and having a dog there's no way I can do the resting and elevation and PT I should, though I was very encouraged by reading this by Josephine https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/knee-recovery-uk-style.11830/

For all I'm breaking the "rules" I am now, at almost 5 weeks out, finding life a bit easier day by day, especially if I manage to squeeze an afternoon nap in. Yesterday I was very excited at finding that the swelling has gone down enough for me to wear normal shoes instead of garden clogs. I don't know (or want to know) my ROM - quite prepared to wait until I see the consultant in May, but it certainly seems greater than it was, maybe just because of the drop in swelling.

Re the osteoporosis I think all they can hope to do is stop any further bone loss, not make up for that already gone. But it's good I had the TKR because otherwise we might not have known until I started breaking bones too easily.
 
Thanks for comments, I don't think physio can do much after 15 months, I know, and do, the exercises but walking is so much better than before op
 
Well things are pooteling on and to be honest I am starting to get a bit worried - I know I know I know I should not worry about ROM........... however there are two thing niggling me.

1. I can get a bend just past 90 however it is only in a passive movement, by that I mean if I am doing Heel slides on the bed I get a pulling pain at at the medial side of what was top of my tibia (sorry Josephine I can't find the grid thingy to say where exactly) and manage approx 110 but can't push (or pull) it past that due to pain and stiffness. However if I stand on good leg with operated leg on a step above and passively bend it, that is use body movement with leg relaxed I can get it to just past 90. ? Is this normal? Also I can do flexing or extending but really not comfortable going straight from one to another at limits of my current ability.

2. I have no idea what my OS is expecting me to have achieved by my 6 week check, is the ROM I have (yes I also know I have another week before this) but just from something physio assistant said - am I headed for MUA? Although if he does say anything and I have no evidence that he will I will decline for the time being - however the implications as to my job and recovery time are still there.

I am someone who has to know what is what, I love charts tables and stats to know what is happening and I am not very good at coping with not knowing or having an exact plan - yes I am my own worse enemy!

I am however being good, taking meds on time, icing, elevating, resting (but worry I rest too much, or not enough).

Ramble over - hope everyone has sunshine today
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
Oh, Shortie, so impatient!!!! You are barely one month post op with flexion between 90 and 110 and are worrying about it? RELAX---deep, deep breaths---RELAX! You're doing just fine. You are just 1/12th of the way through a 12 month recovery----you still have a long way to go and plenty of time for ROM to increase. Your OS should be just fine with this---and it will continue to get better. There are members who are much further along and would kill for your ROM.

Unfortunately for you, your knee couldn't care less about charts, tables, and stats. Knee is going to do whatever it is going to do when it decides to do it. So just pay attention to what knee tells you and be kind to knee or knee will make you pay. And I repeat----you are doing just fine---count your blessings.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
 
Hi Shortie, I wrote two posts to you earlier today but they both sounded as if I was being rude so I will try again. Please read this in the spirit it is meant to be given. I don't mean to sound critical. When I read your posts I see me before I started using this forum. I am a very impatient person and my plan was....

1. get knees fixed
2. bad knees gone
3. new ones in
4. GO!!!:rotfl:

I know better now. Thanks Bone Smart!!! New plan.....
1. Get new knees in
2. rest and let tissues,muscles, tendons and skin heal from surgery
3. take it slow and listen to my knees

I just wonder if you are doing too much but you alone know how you feel.

I haven't even had my BTKR yet and I can't imagine standing for hours at a time to attend a game or to do hairdos! I am already taking tramadol and acet. plus an NSID just to get through my day. I have a desk job and a very understanding boss. I need my husband to accompany me if I am up to a little walk because I don't trust my knees and I am afraid of falling.

I am not a medical expert but I think you are doing quite well with your ROM at this early stage in your recovery and your OS should be OK with your progress .:friends:
 
I know I know I know I should not worry about ROM...........

I am someone who has to know what is what, I love charts tables and stats to know what is happening and I am not very good at coping with not knowing or having an exact plan - yes I am my own worse enemy!

Hi Shortie,
I love the two replies you have had from bottomshollow and from My way I will only say I agree. I do understand what you mean about needing to know as I am the same although I am maybe less concerned about numbers. Try to think back to how you were on day one after surgery and you will realise how very far you have come. I stop every so often and remember how hard it was to get up out of bed, to tackle the stairs etc and realise how well I am doing. My ROM increased week by week from week one to week six so I really think you are worrying unnecessarily. Concentrate on doing your exercises gently and regularly and icing and resting as you are doing and you will continue to make good progress.
You are doing brilliantly, believe in yourself and your bodies power to heal
Hugs, Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :)
 
I can get a bend just past 90 however it is only in a passive movement and manage approx 110 but can't push (or pull) it past that due to pain and stiffness. Is this normal?
Good grief, you're only 4½ weeks out and 110 is a great number to get! You're expecting miracles! It's very normal for your stage.
However if I stand on good leg with operated leg on a step above and passively bend it, that is use body movement with leg relaxed I can get it to just past 90.
That's not passive movement, that's active! Stop gettin' yerself in a fret and calm down! You're doing fine.
I am someone who has to know what is what, I love charts tables and stats to know what is happening
Then obviously you've forgotten about all the articles Tim left you in post 7 of this thread! I suggest you go back and read them again as there are plenty of charts, stats and guidelines that would tell you all that. Also my own reply at post 17.

btw, at which hospital did you have your surgery? Which hospital do you work at? And who was your surgeon? I ask out of idle interest as the N&N was my training school!
 
Thank you all so very much for the talking to - I needed it -Sorry :sorry: and I needed your honesty so thank you again.

I know I am impatient and need stuff NOW! My OH tells me all the time I am impatient and I am! I guess I am particularly stressed at the moment having been off work since October due to rubbish mobility due to knee, I am now no longer paid as my sick pay has finished (partly due to using some of it last may when I broke my sternum!) but at the moment I am lucky as I still have my job open and I suppose I am a bit worried that I am not sure if I will ever manage to get back to it I work 12.5 hour shifts as a staff Nurse in Accident and Emergency and usually on my feet for the whole shift and it isn't a job where you can't be a full member of the team after all it can be life and death and I couldn't go back not being sure I can be a full part of the team, it wouldn't be fair on my colleagues or the patients. So I guess I am directing this uncertainty in to what my knee will and won't do.

I also think that there was so much of a wait for actually getting knee replaced the only preparations I really did for recover was getting comfortable trousers and organising lifts for the kids while I couldn't drive i.e. just practical stuff and didn't prepare myself for recovery and what it involved.

So thank you all so much (again) you fantastic people for getting me back to sensible thinking I will re read everything whilst I am resting, elevating and icing :)
 
There you go! All straightened away for a while now. We all have those down times. If your'e like me though, you'll need another chat sooner or later! :whistle:
 
Back
Top Bottom