Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

I thought that this mornings post would be well I've had a really bad night because I over did it yesterday......

But no! A lovely nights sleep, I didn't get to bed until 11.45 but slept right through until 6.15 wow that is a lot of sleep compared with my 'normal'.

So how did I think I overdid it? We went last night to my in-laws for dinner as they had some old family friends visiting so I sat with my leg down for most of the evening (the only elevation I could get was really uncomfortable so I gave up elevating) well through the evening although sitting with my leg down is much easier now than it has been for years my leg started swelling and being painful and by the time we came home I was in quite a lot of pain.

BUT I medicated well went to bed and wow next thing is it was morning - I am hoping that this is another sign that this revision is going to be successful.

So I am taking it easy today (just incase of any delayed ODIC entry).

Happy Saturday everyone.

Shortie x
 
Wow....great report!!! So glad you had a nice evening and then a good sleep.
 
Morning everyone!

Another reasonable nights sleep but I have had quite bad HIP pain but I think it is a good thing!!

Why? Well after my original TKR I have never been able to sit / lay with my knee anything but exactly straight as it caused really bad 10/10 pain. For example I was never able to do anything like the third exercises down here https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ses-from-basic-to-advanced.14390/#post-324646 as it would cause massive hot stabbing pain on the medial aspect of my knee (where I invisage the tibial component to be). Now I haven't been twisting my knee or anything dramatic but I can now comfortably do this movement and as such I don't think my hip has moved in this way for so long it has put in a complaint overnight!

I am continuing to follow the BS mantra and I am noticing things like I am able to sit with my legs down comfortably for a reasonable period of time (I've not done that for months and months), car journeys are much much more comfortable. Like I posted before I know I must not rely too much on differences from one TKR to another BUT this time it just (although I have reasonable post op pain) feels better and feels as if it is really HEALING.

Thank you all on BS you are all helping me on my 'bloomin long road' and although my destination is still quite a way off it seems like it is a real destination now and not just some imaginary hopeful destination.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Shortie x
 
Very wise....you're listening to your body and responding accordingly. You're doing great and I think you're going to continue with a wonderful recovery!
 
Great report!
Happy to hear how well you are doing.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
I haven't posted for a few days (still on here several times a day to read though) everything ticking along OK I am trying NOT to be impatient but to be honest I am a bit bored! Recovery is progressing as it should (I think) and I am not rushing things which is why I am a bit bored, I have stuff (crochet and reading) to do but as I haven't reduced my OxyContin yet I don't have the attention span to do them yet.

I have been going to watch my sons gymnastics sessions which are 2 hours long but I can sit with my leg elevated if needed but I have to say after my revision I can sit with my legs down longer than I have been able to for months. I have really enjoyed getting out an about.

I am having slight problems with my brain!! Lol I have forgotten how to come down stairs properly!! I have a ROM about 90 so have tried (just the odd step or two) to see if I can come down stairs like a big girl BUT it is so long since I have I have had to try (and failed several times) to work out how to do it - OMG it is so difficult to work out how to do something which I used to do automatically and end up (sometimes out loud) telling myself bend TKR knee, put other foot straight forward etc. anyway I will only be doing a step or two at a time for a while so will have time to re-learn before I am fully ready to do a flight of stairs properly.

I am surprisingly (for me) managing to cope with my impatience and bordom and I think this is purely because this knee feels like it will be a good one! Yes sometimes I think ahhhhh my ROM is "only" 90 and I'm 3.5 weeks post op but then I think blimy I am 3.5 weeks and already have a ROM of 90 wow it's not been that bendy for months and months!

One thing I am finding with my bend is it is not just my knee which struggles with it, my thigh and hip seems to struggle a bit too which I am sure is because they haven't had to be used in this way for so long and when my 'physio dude' (as the kids call him) comes next week I will see if it is possible to have some physio massage or something / exercises just to help loosen up these areas. I personally do massage the area around my knee / thigh every morning which seems to help but I just feel I need more input.

Another thing I am worried about is that the 'physio dude' (I must discuss with him when he is here next week) the remit of the outpatient follow up I believe is purely to check the exercises are being done correctly, that I am safe doing what I am doing and to make sure there is that magic 90 degrees by week 6. My initial TKR met this criterion but then at 6 weeks I was told by OS yes everything is fine and now feel free to do whatever you can do, cycling swimming etc. and had no further input and athough it is still not known exactly what went wrong with the first one but I still have in my mind did I do too much / not enough / the wrong things and am worried that it may happen again - although I do feel so much happier with the revision and am confident that it is all good BUT don't want to stuff it up! I want my life back - but am prepared to wait for a proper recovery and although I want to get superfit again it is going to be a long while before I do any 'training' that isn't 'recovering'.

Oops just seen how long my post is so I will leave it there for now - overall everything is great !

Shortie x
 
@Shortie

It's great to read that you are doing so well this time! :yes!:

It could well be that you have lost some muscle strength in your thigh and hip - but don't worry about that yet. Let's get that knee well recovered from the surgery first, before you start any strength training. It might take a while for your muscles and tendons to adapt to more ROM, since your ROM was limited before this revision.

As long as you take your progression of activity slowly, I don't think you'll find you overdo it too much. Perhaps @Pumpkln can offer some advice, as she has experience in that field.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, with the steps I found I had to concentrate.
But then if I concentrated too much I'd sort of get stuck--wait, which foot? :scratch:
 
2 MAJOR achievements today!

First was when I went to bed last night I took my regular 10mg OxyContin (modified release Oxycodone) and nothing else I have been taking this for months and months pre op too - Since my revision I have been topping it up with oxynorm to help me get off to sleep and also through the night as needed but I slept right through (not including waking up due to a guinea pig water bottle disaster - not counting it as not knee related!! Lol). Knee was achy this am but usual routine of get up to use the bathroom and take morning meds, then back to bed to relax while meds take effect seemed to do the trick.

So I was chuffed this morning anyway but then MAJOR acheivment number two I was on my exercises bike (just my usual 10 mins gentle rocking) and IVE MANAGED FULL ROTATIONS!!!! they were backwards and it wasn't a one off I did about 5 and then stopped before I got carried away!!

Oh it feels so good to meet these little milestones. I am especially pleased about the bike as with my original TKR I did manage rotations but with the seat so high I had to move my bottom excessively on the seat to be able to reach the pedals at their lowest point on each rotation, but this time I am determined to do things properly.

I hope everyone has a good day x

Shortie xx
 
These are great milestones! :happydance: Sure signs you're healing and making progress. That first rotation is awesome!
 
Sounds like you are making great progress, soon you will be on a bicycle!
Great news to be going all the way around.
 
I have still remarkably been a good girl! I have had to fit in a couple of extra things this week including the children going back to school which means my morning routine has been messed about. Now last time round I would have probably just fir everything in but this time I am taking it easy doing only what I need to do and I've not been on my bike today - part of me wants to but my BS angel on my shoulder says 'nah you've done enough today it won't make any difference is you don't go on the bike but if you do it will cause swelling and set you back (or not let you go forward!'

See I AM learning! And last night despite my OH not needing it as he had a hard day at work and even though I felt really bad (it was one of the most difficult things to do) but I sat and didn't help with tea or anything else cos my knee really didn't want to so I listened! I am looking at it as short term cost for long term gains!

I really owe so much to my OH he is really looking after me again!

Shortie x
 
Morning (of afternoon or evening) everyone!

I am still getting on well, I would say slowly but actually I think it is an appropriate pace! I am now 4.5 weeks post op, I am sleeping most nights really well with the odd one being a bit disturbed but compared to the very very little sleep I had pre- op it is bloomin fantastic, although I still need a sleep in the afternoons too and I still find that I just completely crash out mind you I have 2 years of sleep deprivation to catch up on!

My knee is bending past 90 I've not measured / had it measured I just take the odd photo when I am doing my exercises to see where it it at.

The exercises I am doing vary day to day depending on what my knee wants but could include (I never do them all in a day!) ankle pumps, rotating ankles, pushing straight leg into bed, heel slides, straight leg lifts, lower leg lifts (with rolled up towel under knee), Rissoles exercises*, skateboarding**, walking, exercise bike***.

* rissoles exercises - sitting on dinner table with leg hanging over edge then pushing leg back of its own accord and then with other leg assisting it - why is it called rissoles? Well my OH says the dinner table is for rissoles and not ar******s! Lol

** skateboarding - I sit either on dinner chair or living room coffee table and rest my foot on one of the kids skateboards and gently move my foot back and forwards.

*** exercise bike - I can now (after a couple of minutes warm up) do forward and backward rotations. I am very careful not to overdo it and the bike isn't even plugged in so there is no resistance. I have it in the kitchen and try to hop on it 1, 2 or 3 times a day but I have to be honest all of my exercises are usually done in the morning and then get neglected for the rest of the day!

My meds - I am still taking 5mg OxyContin (slow release Oxycodone) in the morning and 10mg OxyContin ant night and I was taking Oxynorm as and when needed to top it up but the last couple of days I am sticking with the OxyContin but then taking regular paracetamol during the day as well as naproxen (I can't do tramadol) I did need one Oxynorm yesterday evening but it seems to be going well for 4.5 weeks.

I have so much more movement both in increased ROM and also the ability to bring my operated legs foot up towards my un operated knee which I was never able to do before. I am still very optimistic that this knee is a good 'un and am so very glad I had it done and didn't settle for what I had and I am so very eternally grateful that BS gave me the hope and belief that what I had was not acceptable and things could be so much better.

Shortie x
 
Hello!

I have popped in just for reading the last few days but haven't had energy to post much. Nothing bad it's just the OH has been working away so I haven't had him here to do early mornings for getting kids ready / out for school (they leave the house at 7.40) so have had everything to do - which thinking about it sounds a bit pathetic as it is only 'normal' stuff, dinners, homework etc. but it has wiped me out - I was hoping that at 5 weeks I would have a bit more energy BUT I am still being good and listening to my knee and apart from one day have managed to not defy what my knee needs.

I have been sleeping well and it is bliss and the only positive of OH being away I have had no snoring to disturb me! Hehe!

My knee continues to be bending to I think just over 90. The knee itself feels good but I am still getting a fair bit of swelling despite icing and elevating lots (although majority of swelling is nearly all around the femoral bit I think!) and the lack of magnificent bend I believe is down to two things. One the swelling and two my thigh / hip muscles - I am seeing OS next week and will ask him about physio / massage I fully believe it is due to those muscles not being used properly for 2 years so they are on recovery too. But I am in no way panicking my bend is better than it has been for two years and it 'feels' that once swelling and thigh issues are remedied it will bend a whole lot more.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Shortie x
 
Glad you are doing well. I am seven weeks out on my revision and still have swelling and tightness but doing well. I use cane outside and will return to work 10/20/14
 
More milestones today!

I am consistently bending past 90

I easily pedalled forwards on exercise bike

I put seat down on bike and still pedalled easily - OH even said - it looks like you will be able to get back on real bike soon.

At last everything seems to be coming together

Still taking Oxycodone (and Oxynorm as required) but not worrying about that at the moment

Still using two crutches outside but I just feel safer that way

Still icing and elevating

Still not doing any "training" just mobility exercises

I'm still going to ask my GP for another 6 weeks off work

I am still soooooo very happy I had my revision!

Shortie x
 
Back
Top Bottom