Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Hi @Shortie

I'm glad your revision is done. Your knee looks good this time, so here's hoping you have a much better recovery! :angel:

You know the BoneSmart way and I'm sure you'll do well.

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Looks like you're doing well. Great to see you are in the comfort of your own home recovering.
 
You're lookin' great!!! Glad you're going to take things nice and slow.
 
Well I slept for four yes four hours in a row! I've not managed four solid hours for months! When I woke up I said to myself please be at least 3 am and it was! I popped to the bathroom had a top up med and then slept until 6.30! Wow!

I am now having a proper BS day. I got up but just to take regular meds then I did a few gentle exercises and I can't believe that I have more bend than prior to surgery already my knee hasn't had this ROM for at least 10 months.

I am having to assist my heel slides as my quads don't seem to want to play which is new this time round but I'm not worried if I need to assist my quads / knee by lifting it onto the bed etc. as I'm sure it will get there in its own time.

So I did my exercises, propped myself up in bed and now an icing, elevating reading lots of library stuff and forums on BS and am just having a cup of tea my lovely daughter has made me.

I will probably get up soon I will ask my knee in a bit!

Please can I ask you @Josephine when is the earliest I should even sit on an exercise bike? I am only asking because I don't want to get all excited and do it too soon (I am definitely slow and steady this time) so I just want to have in my head "I WILL NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING IT UNTIL AT LEAST ......" (And then only if my knee feels up to it). And to me the start of being able to do something like sitting on the exercise bike with very gentle rotation is when I can start having the confidence that I haven't done too much too soon, but also when I do start doing things other than very gentle exercises and walking within pain / swelling / tiredness limits. I am very pleased and excited that this time I will get a good outcome and I will not mess it up being impatient!

I'm not sure if I put on my thread about my last OH visit which I had the week before revision the doctor was lovely and just kept enforcing 'do not be pressured to come back too soon', 'come back when YOU are ready and not before' 'this recovery is one of the most important things you have ever done, don't let anyone else mess it up'. I think this has helped me be much more relaxed and I don't have any timescales in my head for work and although I love my job and the people I work with I now have the mindset, if the job isn't good for my knee I will look for another job! Life, family and mobility are more important.

OMG just looked at all I've written - I'm not sure I can blame the meds for all the waffle!


Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie - you sound great. The recumbant bike was my favorite part of PT. I think I got on and just rocked the pedals from weeks two to four. And then all of a sudden I could pedal. I have an upright exercise bike at home but it took me months to do a full rotation on that. Hope everything keeps going well!
 
I'm delighted for you, Shortie ! Way to go!
I got on and just rocked the pedals from weeks two to four. And then all of a sudden I could pedal.
This saved me posting (well almost!) but it's a delight to finally see it coming from a member! No better recommendation that that! Other than that, you should read this, remember? Activity progression for TKRs
 
Thank you both I really appreciate it. I will re read the activity progression article again especially as I have plenty of time while sitting, elevating and icing x

Shortie x
 
Well I think the last week is catching up with me! I am absolutely fine, knee is doing as I it should, no issues with knee at all, not doing anything too much and actually slept well considering everything but I am just physically and mentally exhausted today - totally pooped! So I will take it easy and rest up. I think some of it has been that I have had no appetite since op and have lost weight which although I need to loose lots (and lots and lots) of weight so it is good from that point of view I think I just need a bit of energy - I even have a box of chocolates my daughter bought me and I really really don't fancy them at the moment (and that just isn't normal!).

Shortie x
 
Shortie,
Sounds like things are going well for you, follow the Bonesmart Mantra, and you will do well.
Hope your appetite comes back, but not too much, you need fuel to heal.
:friends:
 
Well things are going really well and of course I went and did it, you know that thing we all do despite the knowledge that we have to stick with the BS mantra we have a good day - a really good day and then come the night we go clubbing! Yup I was in the ODIC last night glitter ball and all!

So today is a day of meds rest ice elevate and sleep. See that full stop that is it for today all I am doing! Lol

Although I have had lots of pain overnight I am actually encouraged by what I could do yesterday - to a 'normal' person it wasn't at all exciting but to me well I got a bit too excited I could (even if I shouldn't have) with the assistance of my 11yo son I hung the washing out due to desperate need of underwear in the house! And due to a similar need of food I helped my 14yo daughter put the delivered food shopping away oh just remembered I emptied the dishwasher too - oops all to much naughty Shortie!

I have reprimanded myself, my knee has told me off BIG time but feel free to give me a talking to because I obviously wasn't listening to myself yesterday! When will I learn I had done do well for a week!

So at the moment I have taken my meds, I am relaxing in bed I have a good book I just need a teenager to wake up is I can have a cup of tea and that might be it for this morning!

I hope everyone else has been good and that I'm the only one in the ODIC.

Shortie x
 
Re: ice machine...oddly someone lent me one....it was less effective and portable than the suggestion to use pkgs of peas. I thot they were nuts but those peas are super frozen and you bang them against something and they mold gently around the knee.
I bought 8 pkgs. A large wide ace bandage wrap and put two lg safety pins on it. Put 1 pkg under knee 1 over, 1 below knee cap touching or do wrapped side up and over the secure with wrap. I have some at wk now. I have every fancy ice pack design and love my peas. BTW the ice machine started leaking so I stopped it the first week. Go peas....$1.67 bag......always put a pillowcase wrapped between them and skin....It is washable thin enough and soft. My 2 cents


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @lovemynewknee? I did look at ice machines dithered about and then the hospital gave me a knee sleeve with some re-freezable inserts (enough to keep one set on knee and others in freezer re freezing ready for swap over, they seem to get really cold and last for nearly an hour when they are on so especially as I am on very limited finds at the moment I have gone with these and they seem to be working really well especially as they go right around my knee so the top sides and back all get chilled.

After I took my meds this morning I get back in bed and had an extra sleep, the meds kicked in lovely so I've done a few very basic exercises and hurrah of the day my quads have started to return and so I have a little movement from them at last! All looking good. Since the exercises I still haven't got up but I will be very soon, but I won't be doing much once I do get up!

Shortie x
 
@Shortie I was just going to post about your positive attitude is what helping this time and then got to the post well you over did :bignono: but we don't have to lecture you your knee :groan: gave you an earful hope you feel better real soon :yes!:
 
Shortie,
Welcome to the ODIC, just because you can does not mean you should at this point in time.
Hope you are feeling better with Ice, Rest, Elevate, and Medicate!
 
I must have been good yesterday and reversed my overdoing of the day before as I went to bed at approx 22.30 last night I knew I was exhausted and had a real bad "tired" headache but apart from being aware of repositioning my leg twice the next thing I knew was my OH's alarm going off at 6!! But that was not all I got up had my meds and then slept until OH said bye @7.20 then straight back to sleep until 8.50!!!! I have actually woken up feeling refreshed!

I haven't actually got ip yet to see how my knee is I'm just doing a few gentle exercises (flappy feet etc. while I'm typing) but I will in a few minutes - there is no rush!

I hope the sleep fairy visited everyone else last night too.

Shortie x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
Yep, @Shortie, absolutely nothing beats a good night's sleep. Have a really good day.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Shortie, just caught up with your thread. It made me smile. Your happy, positive outlook almost jumps off the page.

I have just read a post @sparkie who is going through a bad time and feels like giving up. You are a shining example of somebody who would not give up and its paid off big time. Very best wishes. Carol
 
Great report!!! Sleep does wonders for the mind and body, doesn't it! Hope the good nights continue for you.
 
Hi @Shortie I am absolutely over the moon and so pleased for you, making such a wonderful recovery from your revision surgery. It sounds very promising. What's been nicer is your positivity is bounding out of the posts into us all....marvellous Shortie, keep it going xxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Thanks everyone, @patient 99 you are right I don't give up very easily - my friends / family call it something different they say I'm really stubborn (but they don't put it quite that politely!) I think that this time having a revision had made me sort out what is most important. Last time it was things like getting back to work by x weeks, doing certain thing by a specific time, having my knee / mobility fit in to a very specific role, by which I mean that I think that I had envisaged a full recovery even if it took a year and by full recovery despite all the information I really thought that the TKR would feel / act exactly like a native pre arthritis knee and although I knew I wasn't to do anything high impact etc. I imagined unrealistic goals, then when I had all the problems lack of a ROM and ++++ pain I wasn't settling for that!

This time I am more philosophical about it all, I am in no way rushing back to work and I am even considering if my knee once recovered doesn't like my job (12.5 hour shifts!) then I will change my job, although I love my job I love life with my family more and is taking top priority! Having said that I will not settle for something that doesn't work as it should and will do everything I can to get it the best I can.

This morning I have been and had stitches off, having had clips last time I wasn't sure what would be under the dressing but it was just steristrips / paper stitches externally and so it now looks quite nice (in my opinion) and it is really nice to get the dressing off. I also restocked my meds while I was there as I'm relying on lifts to get the the doctors so should be set up nicely for next couple of weeks of recovery.

I hope you all have a good day.

Shortie x [Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
 
Back
Top Bottom