Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Shortie,
Great report, I am thrilled you are doing so well after your revison!:yes!::yay::egypdance::friends::biking:

I agree 6 more weeks will give your revision time to heal and avoid the "I went to work too early and set back my recovery" syndrome that we see to often here.
 
Great news....keep up the steady improvements!
 
Hello Everyone!

I went to my GP yesterday and have been signed off for another 6 weeks which is excellent I am not going back until my knee is ready even if my sick pay runs out - I am working on my long term need and am very lucky that we will survive even if my pay stops (no frills living but worth if for a good knee!)

My GP also agreed to continue my oxycontin which is great. Although I am worried about getting off them I am more concerned that if not well medicated even at 6 weeks then my recovery may slow or stop - not a chance I'm taking!

On Saturday (3 days ago) I did manage a trip on the bus to a local town to do a bit of shopping with my 14yo daughter, and I was so much more comfortable than I was pre-revision it is such a relief!

I am still skateboarding and cycling! Skateboarding whilst sitting and I have no idea what my bend is but it is past 90 so all good. Cycling the seat is in a proper riding position, I have not even plugged the exercise bike in so no resistance at all and I do up to 5 mins of gentle pedalling at a time. I am also going out for a little walk everyday (although if I take the bonkers springer spaniel I also take someone else to hold his lead as 1. I am worried he will pull me over and 2. Although he walks as well as a springer can to 'heel' he walks just in front of me and his very wiggy tail just repeatedly catches the lateral edge of my TKR knee - ow!

I still am finding it difficult to wear trousers and they really irritate my leg, not just where the scar is but my whole upper leg has a variety of different sensations and wearing trousers really tires me out!

I am off to see my OS on Thursday and so I need to write down what I want to know when I visit - I am sure he will be happy with me - I have had a better recovery than I ever expected and hoped so far - even thou there was the chance it would make it worse boy am I glad I had it done!

I an honestly say hand on heart that I would not be so upbeat and confident of a good recovery if it wasn't the support I have had from you all here on BoneSmart - thanks x

Right - I had better do a few jobs before elevating and icing.

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie x
 
Hello!

I'm on my way to my 6 week checkup - I will report back later!

Have a good day Everyone x

Shortie x
 
6 week check was all good my OS wasn't there but the orthopaedic nurse practitioner saw me and she was happy with how I am doing especially considering it was a revision an how I was for the 17 months after my original TKR.

I know 'every knee is different' but I can honestly say hand on heart that if I had had the experience I have had had with my revision and then had the original TKR (I know impossible) that I would have known so much sooner that the original TKR was really not right! Yes I still get swelling, and need medication BUT the whole feel of it is so different and the movement I have not just bend and straighten is so much more, I am sleeping at night (I reduced my OxyContin from 10mg to 5 mg last night and still slept all night - such a small thing to some but a MASSIVE thing for me) I met up with some work friends on Thursday and they all said how much better I look in myself than I have done for a long time - I put it down to sleeping!

I know I am no where near recovered yet, as I say I'm still taking pain killers, I'm still needing daytime naps (I get really exhausted through the day - but believe this is normal), I'm still getting swelling, still need crutches for long distances (long by my standards!) but the road is so less bumpy now and I do believe if I squint I can actually finally see my destination!

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie x
 
Shortie,
I am so happy you are having a great recovery with your revision. When your work friends said how good you look you must have felt so good.
You are still early in recovery so keep on taking it easy, and take good care of yourself. In a year this will all be in the rearview mirror as you enjoy your new knee.
 
I am so pleased with how my revision is going and I am trying (and so far succeeding) to be Patient. So just a quick question to the post TKR cycling community.

I am currently at 7 weeks post op and I am doing 5 - 10 minutes 1 or 2 times a day on my exercise bike which isn't plugged in yet so there is no resistance. So what I was wondering (and I know that will all depend on what my knee wants!) is when will it be OK to start increasing the time on the bike and when will it be OK to start adding resistance. Also at what point (i.e. How long on bike and what resistance) will I be OK to head out on a real bike. As an ex-runner I am desperate to 'get back out there' albeit on a bike and not on my two feet BUT I don't want to rush things but I don't want to miss out if I am ready!!

As I say I will promise to listen to my knee over all advice but any other advice will be gratefully received.

Shortie x
 
I honestly did not get onto a real bike until April---but I had my BTKR in November, and the winter here in Northern Ohio is not conducive

However, it did take me quite some time to regain the strength and stamina to ride a bike safely.
As an ex-runner I am desperate to 'get back out there' albeit on a bike and not on my two feet BUT I don't want to rush things but I don't want to miss out if I am ready!!
It is frustrating, but I would not raise the tension or be in a hurry to get back on a real bike just yet---these recoveries take time and they move in tiny little increments---so I would continue to ride the bike w/o resistance and simply lengthen the amount of time that you do that---again---little by little.

Looking back, I did not add much resistance until I was eight or nine weeks out---and then, only in miniscule amounts.
 
Thank you very much @Pumpkln I had completely forgotten there was a cycling thread I will look it up and bookmark it for future use.

@referee54 thank you I will just add a bit of time as my knee lets me for a while - I won't be rushing out on a real bike as I need a new one so have put in a request for an Xmas present! I must admit I had thought about strength and stamina needed for outside - at least hopefully I will be ready after the winter weather!

I'm still managing on 5mg OxyContin at night and haven't needed any oxynorm for the last couple of days just been having paracetamol and naproxen in its place which I have only been taking to prevent me needing oxynorm . It's looking good and hopeful

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie , it's been a while since I popped in to the forum but I'm so glad I did. I've spend a little while catching up on your progress and I'm so happy for you and the revision, finally after such a long time you are finally seeing the light at the end of that long tunnel. What a great example you have been for all of us and although you have strayed to the ODIC :heehee::bignono: :tantrum2: wherein lurks the dreaded extra hill climb, it was good to see you have bounced back due to all that support and encouragement from the rest of the team..you are a winner and I pray the coming days see your strength and movement increase along with your hard won patience. well done.

chat soon hugs:friends::flwrysmile: Gami
 
Hi @Shortie, I thought I'd pop by and see how you're doing. :wowspring: I'm so glad to the bottom of my heart for you that finally it looks like you've been sorted. It's so lovely to read a positive result when you had such an awful recovery prior to this. :happydance:

You sound happy, your positivity is flying out of your post, with a real feel good factor that's infectious!!!

Well done Shortie, you deserve this xxxx :flwrysmile:

All my love and best wishes. Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Aww thank you both @gami and @Nana moon 27 such lovely things you say - I too am still amazed that the revision is so much better / different than the primary TKR - without bonesmart I don't think I would have known any different - so glad I do though I have a life to look forward to!

So first the slight hiccup - not really with my knee as such - pain etc in my knee is reducing daily which is great so I have been reducing my medications. Knee still behaving with reduced and then no Oxycodone for a couple of days BUT a couple of nights ago I had a horrible night with lower back pain, hot sweats, cold sweats combined with a bit of an upset stomach - so I decided I was coming down with something - my knee responded a bit by just being a bit 'tighter' so a combination of feeling 'bleugh' and a slightly tight knee I was feeling a bit 'pants!' Then I had a bit of a light bulb moment and a voice came from my shoulder who I imagined may be Josephine saying 'tightness is a type of pain', then I received an email from my OS who I had previously emailed just to confirm what he found during the revision surgery - he said that there was a lot of scar tissue which he felt could have been caused by the lack of ROM I had previously. So then second light bulb moment - I had said to myself that I was going to keep myself well medicated to keep my knee moving. It was then I had my third light bulb moment - the feeling rubbish symptoms were all symptoms of oxycodone withdrawal - Doh!

So I am back on just 5mg Oxycodone morning and night and feel so much better, my knee feels less stiff and I am feeling so much better. I am also in the process for applying for a new job which will be less stressful on my knee and has better family friendly hours. So fingers crossed for that.

I have also done something really really fantastic today - for the first time in - I can't actually remember when I last did this - I took our Springer Spaniel (anyone who has ever had one of these breeds of dog with know how bouncy they are) out for a walk - ON MY OWN WITH NO CRUTCHES - Yup just me and the dog out for a proper walk (only about a mile but don't want to overdo it!) - it was lovely and 'normal' and fantastic! I know I am not yet fully recovered and won't be for a while - but a glimpse of 'real life' a hint of 'just doing things' it was great!

Other great things are I can sit in a normal chairs of varying seat heights with no problem or pain, I can walk down stairs 'normally', I am walking without a limp, I can SLEEP at night (and in the day if I need it! lol) and I have even done a mini shop in a supermarket being able to push the trolley all on my own!

I am also still behaving - not really doing any 'Physio' just some gentle bending and some pedalling with no resistance on my exercise bike most days and of course still icing and elevating.

The other thing I only realised the other day is that no one has formally measured my bend after my revision and other than looking and thinking 'yup that is about 90 or just over 90' and whats more I have not been concerned with numbers at all this time just function - so much more stress free than worrying about numbers!

I know I keep on repeating myself but without all the information and support here I would never have thought it possible and would have settled with what I had - thank you for bonesmart!

I hope everyone has a good day.

Shortie x
 
Hi @Shortie

Wow, wow, wow, you are awesome!!! I'm not great with figures away the mo nut I estimate your scene weeks post op? That is amazing and not before time, with the pants recovery you had primarily. As for walking your dog, that is brilliant especially with a springer spaniel, they live up to their name lol x x x x

I just did something absentmindedly. I just walked without crutches to the bathroom from my bedroom which is right next door. I was halfway before I realised. I couldn't believe it. I was a little unsteady and I did limp a bit but oh wow that was brilliant. I think at towers ita too early not to use them so once I see the physio in two weeks time I will ask then. I am seeing the OS next Tuesday x x x that's 3weeks earlier than usual but he is keeping his eye on me x x x

Well it was a pleasure reading your post and to be honest when I'd read it way before the revision I knew how similar my problems were to yours. You supported me Shortie and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that.

Once again, well done
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
Am I Odd?? Oh wait don't answer that as a general question because all my friends and family would answer "yes" with no hesitation!! Lol

Ok so let me rephrase "am I odd that I actually like it when my knee clicks?" - let me explain - I like it when it clicks because in my little 'Shortie' world I think that when my knee clicks it means to me that there is less swelling meaning it has room to click - I'm not sure if any of that will make sense to anyone else or is even true but I suppose that may be in relation to my first question! Lol

I have had some more good days, I am having to add in a little hamstring stretch as I am more active I am bending for much longer during the day (e.g. Just sitting in a normal chair for much longer without elevating etc.) so the various muscles and ligaments in my TKR leg have suddenly started being used much more than they have ever had to in the last two years so I am getting a few other aches and pains in that leg - but they all feel more like post work out pains than something wrong pains.

Occasionally I do think oh why is my knee not less achy by the evening as time goes on but then I realise that as time goes on I am doing so much more during the day and resting less and less so yes I am still achy in the evening but I have had a much busier day.

I am also using less brain power to walk, I am not having to concentrate to walk properly. Every morning though when I come downstairs (and still a bit / a lot dozy) I come down one foot at a time and if I remember I tell myself there is no need then walk down properly - it is amazing the habits I have formed over the last two years and so have to mentally break them because physically I can do most of them now!

Sleeping is still lovely - except OH snoring or my brain in overdrive but from my knee point of view I have no issues and I can lie in any position I fancy and I'm not using a pillow anymore for leg support.

I am still wondering if I should have some formal physio for this (I can get a very quick referral though occupational health at work) and I would have done ages ago but even at 9 weeks out I worry about doing "strength" training too soon and just want to concentrate on gentle ROM exercises - let's face it I have at least another 43 weeks of recovery yet so there is no rush!

I have been trying to find a new job - one that is still busy and mentally challenging, when I phoned my boss who has been fantastic throughout my knee issues to ask her to be a referee she said 'do you really want to do that?' (A job across outpatients) and I explained that for me, my knee and family the work and hours would be better although I LOVE my current job it is just too heavy on my knee 12 hour shifts in Accident and Emergency department! Even short shifts are not really much better as they are usually twilight shifts and don't start until 6 pm by which time my leg has already started to swell from regular daytime family activities and at that time of night it is really full on in the department) anyway long story short - my boss had a post she would like to create and would like me to do it (can't say any more at the moment) but it will all depend on the finance department and the good old red tape of the hospital - so she says she can't promise anything which is fair enough and I am trying not to get too excited but it would be ideal all round for me professionally and personally, for my family as family friendly hours, my bank balance as it is more hours than I currently do and also for my knee because I will be able to arrange my days around how my knee is! I have my fingers crossed because it is about time stuff falls into place!

Life is getting good - it really was worth not giving up and not accepting that what I had was the end - thanks everyone.

Shortie x
 
I can be such a muppet!!

Today I got up etc. as always and got kids off to school, then set to getting on with all the stuff I need to do thought my knee and hamstring felt a bit stiffer than normal but just did us stretchy bendy stuff, Carried on being busy knee starts being more painful but I needed to get stuff done and last night knee was a bit stiff as I had been busy yesterday too so just thought it was knee not quite recovered from yesterday then knee was REALLY achy then it dawned on me - I completely forgot to take my OxyContin this mornng - BIG DOH so on top of an already slightly 'overdid it' day yesterday and a busy day today I was totally unmedicated!!!

So I've now medicated myself and enforced myself to my 'pit' leg elevated and ice on and will stay here until meds kicked in and knee happier! As I said at the beginning WOT A MUPPET!!

At least it is only a mini blip and nothing worse - oh well a little reminder the my knee is still in charge!

Shortie x
 
Oh @Shortie

you're no muppet but what you are is recovering well x you read about people forgetting their meds as the pain eases up. You're obviously going into that. Well done you xxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxoxxxxx
 
Hello Everyone!

I'm just popping in for an update! Well I had an appointment with my OS last week (12 weeks post op) and he was very happy with my knee - as am I!

I haven't yet returned to work as it is 12.5 hour shifts on my feet, I have an appointment with my OH doctor on 1st December and I am currently applying for different positions (I have been interviewed and offered one already but I don't think professionally it is for me).

I am starting a physio class tomorrow - I have only done gently bending and streatching physio up until now along side cyling on my exercise bike for up to 30 minutes with no resistance 3 - 4 times a week.

It is all looking good and I am weaning myself slowly from the oxycontin that I have been on for months (pre and post op) so I'm down to 5mg in the day time only.

I am sleeping well at night - it is such a relief!

I am managing more and more in fact my physio is more for my supporting muscles as they don't know what has hit them after being soooo lazy for two years!

So despite the long journey which isn't over quite yet it has all been finally worth it.

Have a good day everyone

Shortie xx
 
Back
Top Bottom