Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Glad you and your son are at home, I hope he has a speedy recovery!
You are right to have the revision, when they get a look they will see what is going on. It will be interesting to see what they find.
 
Thanks everyone, my son is recovering well just a bit sore and gutted he can't go to gymnastics for a bit.

I have got a knee clinic appointment next Thursday which is the two hour nurse / physio led pre knee replacement "class" last time I went I think I halved the average age! Lol

I have also filled in my pre-op booklet with all of my house details, stairs, height of chairs who will do my cooking / cleaning, do you use meals on wheels? etc. but one question really made me laugh "do you collect your pension? Yes / No" so I tick No next question "if no why not?" My answer BECAUSE IM NOT OLD ENOUGH!!!! let's just say that I believe the booklet is aimed at the older TKR'r!

I just need a date for my revision now.

Work are being great I am seeing occupational health doctor on Tuesday and it looks like I am going to be able to do some audit type work until my revision and them maybe afterwards until I am ready to return to my regular duties, so fingers crossed for that.

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie,
I have caught up on your post today after a long absence. What a time you are having.
I am pleased that you have finally got a plan of action and I hope you won't have to wait too long for your revision. Your positive attitude and dogged determination are inspirational and are finally yielding results. I will watch out for updates.
I hope your son is recovering well from his op.
Sending a hug your way ,
Toothfairy xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Toothfairy so nice to hear from you. Thank you for such nice words x how are you and your knees doing?

Shortie x
 
Hi @ shortie, just been catching up on your thread. Sorry to hear about your son, glad he is on the mend. I hope you get a date for your revision soon. Take care, you will get there.
 
So although nothing is happening quite a lot is happening! I will explain.

Last week whilst my son was in hospital I didn't tke my OxyContin for 2 and a bit days this was because 1. I forgot to take them with me, 2. I wanted to be completely totally clear headed 3. They make me feel a bit queasy and being in a hot hospital ward and feeling worried I did t want to add to this. So I was in quite a bit of pain but let's face it I sat in almost the same place for 2.5 days so wasn't 'doing' anything. It was after we were home I got a bit freaked out as although I am on a lowish dose 10mg twice a day I started getting withdrawal symptoms - feeling off and sweating big time. So I saw my GP yesterday and after discussion because it seems to be the only thing that really takes the edge off the pain - although still a 7 out of 10 at night and 4/10 resting in day and anywhere between 6&9/ 10 depending on what I am doing. However I'm hopeful that this is not a permanent thing and my revision will sort it so I can cope(ish) with the pain. So now I am taking 10 mg at nit and 5 in the day as I am hoping that I will reduce the severity of withdrawal when the time to stop arrives.

I phoned the operation booking lady today to give me an idea of when my revision will be as I needed to know for work (more about that in a minute) and it looks like it will be mid/ late September which although I wish it was tomorrow I am OK with as I know I am not an emergency I did say I am happy to be on the cancellation list which I am on but she said that as it is a revision and needs quite a bit of theatre time so it is unlikely that there will be a cancellation with enough theatre time to fit me in.

I have been to the occupational health doctor today and she is recommending that I am have a tempoary 3 month redeployment of desk / paperwork only which I think my line manager will be able to accommodate working shifts of about 6 hours at a time. I have to speak to him tomorrow. So this is great and hopefully means I will be able to continue to work and not have to be off sick (cos my brain still works (mostly)) The OH Doctor is also going to see if I can get a referral to the pain clinic (although we were not sure if I would get an appointment through in time.

And also my son is getting better from his appendectomy so that is good.

So I have been really busy but nothing has actually happened yet!

Thank you everyone for your support it really means a lot, but sorry for the waffle today!

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie,
That is a great update. I'm pleased that you have a timescale for your revision even if it is an approximate one.
Sounds like work are being supportive.
I am well. My knees are great. I still get a little stiffness when I overdo things but having them done has transformed my life for the better.
I am able to tackle life head on again. Between work and grandchildren ( 3 now aged 8 weeks, 14 months and 5) life is just hectic.
I hope your revision will be a huge success and after your recovery you will get your life back. I will watch out for your updates,
Hugs
Toothfairy xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I haven't been posting for a while - I have been trying to keep up with everyone but been trying to ignore MY knee while waiting for a date for revision.

So this morning I phoned the hospital as my work have redeployed me to do some paperwork / audit work and I needed to know how much work they need to find me to do until my revision. Well it turns out not much as I am having my revision a week on Tuesday ( 12th August). I have a pre op clinic on Monday so all being well I have 12 days to prepare!!

I am a bit in shock at the moment and my brain has gone into overdrive of what I need to do to organise kids etc. and suddenly from all the build up of the last 9 months or so it is suddenly so real. I am excited, hopeful and at the same time worried and anxious.

We had a lovely last minute weekend away in Devon last weekend as we didn't want to book a holiday that may disrupt the chance of my op and it has actually worked out so well - I'm hoping that this is a good omen for the revision. Positive thoughts all the way and I'm looking forward to getting my life back (after a proper recovery following the BS way)!

I really in a bit of a tizz (a good one I think!)

Shortie x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
@Shortie!
 
Shortie, You are bound to have mixed emotions, but better to start recovering than live in limbo. You know the drill. My very best wishes. Carol
 
Great news! So fast, little time to worry.
Wishing you all the best!


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks everyone. I'm still a bit dazed that I'm having my revision in 12 days but I am so glad it is soon as I am in so much pain all the time which is steadily getting worse and I am so ready to get my life back.

Once I've had my pre-op clinic appointment on Monday and given the all clear for revision to go ahead I will be "in the zone" for op. I don't anticipate any problems with pre-op but in the back of my mind there is always the "what if" so will be mentally ready when everything is in place.

I am really looking forward to it well not the actual op but looking forward to the start of recovery.

Shortie x
 
OK so I'm trying to go with the flow and my friends / family keep asking me questions about my revision which is fine but I don't know the answers although I think it is because no one knows them!

Things like:

Will it take longer or shorter time to go back to work?

Will you be able to walk straight away? (I'm guessing this depends on if / how much bone graft is needed when old implant is removed)

How long will you be in hospital this time?

Will this new knee be better than the old one? (I hope so otherwise I wouldn't have it done.... However I know the risk that it might not) - either that or I get the "you will be back to running in no time" comment to which I have to explain that whatever the outcome I won't be running again (cycling though - I am so looking forward to the chance I can cycle again and have promised myself a new bike next year if cycling becomes possible!)

And then there are those who still believe despite seeing me post op last time that I will be back to "normal" (i.e. Physically able to do everything) within 2 weeks if the op!

Mind you all this distraction is stopping me pondering on lots of other questions so it's all good!

However I really should think of what I need to know at pre op clinic though so I am prepared for Monday! I have read so much I need to filter what is important for the 12th August and what I can worry about later (as I am sure I will worry cos always do about most things!

Right must go to bed to try to sleep (I can't wait until I can sleep properly again)

Night all

Shortie x
 
I will answer how the revision has gone for me.

Will it take longer or shorter time to go back to work?
I still am not at work after 3.5 months. I will be another couple months for me. Everyone is different you may be back sooner.

Will you be able to walk straight away? (I'm guessing this depends on if / how much bone graft is needed when old implant is removed)
I walked the next day, with a walker.

How long will you be in hospital this time?
3 - 4 days, I needed a transfusion and had to stay an extra night.

Will this new knee be better than the old one? (I hope so otherwise I wouldn't have it done.... However I know the risk that it might not) - either that or I get the "you will be back to running in no time" comment to which I have to explain that whatever the outcome I won't be running again (cycling though - I am so looking forward to the chance I can cycle again and have promised myself a new bike next year if cycling becomes possible!)
My knee definitely is better. It has been a struggle, but there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

And then there are those who still believe despite seeing me post op last time that I will be back to "normal" (i.e. Physically able to do everything) within 2 weeks if the op!
Tell them 3 months at least!! We have to ingnore these people, they never had a knee replacement.

Hope that helps,
 
Thank you @Pumpkln that is really useful - I know everyone is different and I WILL be less stressed about timings etc. this time round. When I had my original TKR I read lots of 'useful information' mostly written by clinics / hospitals things like return to work within 6 weeks, full range of movement by 6 weeks etc. etc. however I am in the real TKR world this time (thanks to all you lovely people on BoneSmart) and have firm belief that it doesn't really matter what the LENGTH of recovery is it is the quality of recovery that is important.

All the paperwork for pre-op clinic on Monday and admission on 12th August arrived this morning - all getting real now.

Off to buy school shoes for my son today as I won't be up to it before start of term in September so that will be another thing ticked off the checklist ready for revision day!

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie x
 
I don't know if it is because I am trying to get stuff done before my revision or if this knee has got the hump it is going but it has been a right b***** the last few days! Lol.

Not long now - just want to get it done and over and starting recovery!

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie x
 
Hi Everyone,

I am considering an icing machine post op this time. Last time I used a bladder from my camlebak hydration pack which did work quite well but only iced the top of my leg. I have been looking at different systems and have already ruled some out on price. I cant decide if it is worth investing in one or not. I will ask at my pre-op tomorrow if there is any rental possibilities.

But just wondered what anyone thought - have you used one that you have got on with on was it not worth the money?

Thanks in advance

Shortie x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom