Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Congratulations- I hope your recovery is uneventful. Glad to hear your surgery is over and you sound well!
 
Just a quick post - night was OK - I had to laugh as I was just checking twitter and BS has posted the 5 "P's" of recovery with the first being PATIENCE! OK BS point taken! Lol

Shortie x
 
All seems to be going well for me so far so fingers crossed!

How is this for a refreshing comment on a leaflet given to me by my physio
- "if you are struggling with the exercises due to pain or swelling, rest for a day and temporarily decrease the number of times each exercise is performed until symptoms subside" - I wonder if they have been reading BS!

I have already more bend than I did before revision although it has swollen since but the hope is there. I did apparently have quite a lot of adhesions but by the end of surgery my knee would bend "all the way back" which I think he politely didn't add "that your fat little leg will go!"

Pain is well controlled I think partly because I've told them what I want! And the ward even have ice packs hurrah!

I hope everyone else has had a good day x

Shortie x
 
Sounds great Shortie! I will keep fingers crossed for you!!
 
Oh thanks @Jozilla - the only hiccup at the moment is my quads on my left leg aren't keen to work but once again thanks to BS I know it's nothing to worry about so will do as I'm told by my knee, nurses, OS and physio (in that order I think) and go with the flow use the 5 'P's' of recovery and hope to sleep tonight x

Shortie x
 
Glad you are doing OK and you have a good bend already. Great news
 
Ok so now the block has worn off OUCH OUCH OUCH! But I am being kept supplied with meds and ice so hopefully will be sorted soon.

I had a bit of a panic in the night when pain got bad had I done too much not enough scared to move knee scared not to move it got myself in a tired painful emotional tizz but had a good talking to by doctors ortho nurse and my OH this am just the usual what did you expect, it's normal, just had major surgery etc. etc. so although still waiting for pain meds to really work I've stopped the sobbing!

Will report back later

Shortie x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
@Shortie, you are now an
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
.

So sorry about the painful night. Sure hope your meds are now getting the job done.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
 
Hi Shortie, I'm a bit late in wishing you well (Lightening strike blew my hub). So you've had the revision and things are taking their natural course. That's really good news. Do you know how long you will be in hospital for? Are they looking after you well? I look forward to reading your posts on your road to full recovery. Carol
 
Well everyone been fab got on top of pain with meds and ice from this morning. physio happy with stairs then just had to wait for results of cultures taken when original knee taken out. Was told that this can take up to 5 days from samples BUT results came back so now just waiting for my meds (which they have prescribed lots of and what I felt I needed too) some clean TED stockings to take with me so I can wash the ones I am wearing and once those are ready I'm off home

Although there was no loosening shown on X-rays my original joint apparently came out very easily which had two bonuses one very very little bone loss so no bone grafts also new implant did not therefore need long stems etc which as I am 'only' 43 makes any future revisions easier.

So now BS mantra all the way - behave myself and DO NOT OVER DO IT!

I'm sure I will have many a blip but this time round I will have more patience - the first time round to me was all about quick recovery (I had the whole 6-8 weeks returning to work thing in my head) but now I know it has nothing at all to do with quick recoveries it is all about a proper recovery.

Shortie x
 
Yay I'm home - completely worn out but will be in my own bed tonight

Thanks everyone for your support.

Shortie x
 
Glad you got the pain under control. You're back home and on the road to a good recovery! Keep up with that BoneSmart mantra and you should do just fine.
 
First night home not too bad, was up 3 times in the night, used each one as a toilet break and had some extra meds at 3 am, woke up @6 again did some very very gently exercises just because I had got a bit stiff. Then managed another 2.5 hours of sleep.

So I've had a very very busy morning since - got up, had a wash, got dressed and came downstairs! So now I am resting elevating and icing, who knows I may have moved again by mid morning! Lol so now a BS mantra day.

My pain is OK. One big difference this time is my quads, last time I had no effects in my quads and couldn't quite realise what others were on about but this time I now know! I have a tiny bit of movement in them now but before today there was NOTHING there it was really bizzare for my brain to be telling my leg to do something with absolutely no response. The bonus was I didn't t have much tornique pain but I have a feeling that as the control comes back the pain will appear.

I am so glad I know what to realistically expect this time round - thanks everyone x

Shortie x
 
Just a couple of photos (I know the second one is not from the best angle but I'm not massively mobile yet!) I know it is very very early days BUT - the first photo is as much bend as I could get BEFORE my revision (and this was being pushed) the second photo was today (Friday) after having my revision on Tuesday (not being pushed!) I just can't believe it and is all the more reason why I will be following the BS way so as not to mess anything up at all.
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision
[Bonesmart.org] Loosening, RA  ?Second Revision


Shortie x
 
Oh forgot to say in know it isn't all about ROM (having been in very bad pain for last 10+ months) but I am just so surprised my knee can actually bend so soon after surgery - all the more reason to ice, elevate and rest!

Shortie x
 
Back
Top Bottom